Film | Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

Behind the Scenes of HBO's Liberace Biopic with Matt Damon and Michael Douglas: VIDEO

Candelabra

HBO has released an excellent featurette on the upcoming Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra starring Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Rob Lowe, Debbie Reynolds, and Dan Akroyd.

The filmmakers discuss how they and the actors recreated Liberace's world and his life.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

It you missed the trailer, it's HERE.

Comments

1. This movie looks really grotesque.
    It's an embarrassment to the gay community, especially since neither the director or any of the actors involved are gay. It's serving up another freak show view of gays and lesbians. Wish you'd stop promoting it here.

Posted by: Jeff | May 6, 2013 7:11:38 PM

2. Jeff, please. You just wish you had a place to wear a coat with a 16 foot train!

Posted by: Sean | May 6, 2013 7:32:47 PM

3. wow @Jeff you come off as someone who really hates himself. Just like Liberace. Did you audition for this movie? Must all movies about gay people be completely serious and everyone wears grey? Liberace was literally like this. They aren't exasperating anything. I look foreword into diving into this perspective of his life.

Posted by: TONEZ | May 6, 2013 7:33:39 PM

4. Jeff, ask yourself if the film 'Sid & Nancy' was ever considered an embarrassment to the heterosexual community and I think you'll uncover some problems with your statement.

Posted by: Jason | May 6, 2013 7:42:38 PM

5. Couldn't disagree more,Jeff. Thank goodness no one will force you to watch it. Liberace's showmanship fascinates because its extremity seems to predict failure, but his success and popularity were huge. Who can blame him for not wanting to risk throwing that away? His personal life was not easy and I think you're being rather quick in your rush to judgement. As for the director and actors being straight: having played straight characters and directed plays that were lock, stock and barrel about straing people, I can tell you for a fact that a talented theatre artist isn't limited by his or her sexuality.

Posted by: Kent | May 6, 2013 7:54:53 PM

6. You forgot to mention that Cheyenne Jackson plays Billy Leatherwood (whom I didn't recognize when I saw a preview DVD last Sunday)or that Scot Backula plays the choreographer who introduces Scot Thorson to Liberace. It's a campy film, not unlike "Mommy Dearest" and Michael Douglas and Matt Damon really show a relaltionship (and one particular scene where 'Liberace' gives it up to 'Scott'). Debbie Reynolds is unrecognizable, as well as Momma. It's actually fun.

Posted by: woodroad34d | May 6, 2013 8:25:15 PM

7. Can we please call a moratorium on a gay man telling another that he is "self-hating" when one merely dislikes the comment? I have been called a self-hating gay man here. Every other thread seems to have references to self-hating gay men. It's getting tired and lazy.

Posted by: will | May 6, 2013 8:28:10 PM

8. i watched a screener last night and thought it was an absolute hoot...it kinda felt like soderbergh was channeling ross hunter....

Posted by: scooterzz | May 6, 2013 8:50:30 PM

9. I reserve comment on the film. On Liberace, however, he was a clown who demanded to remain in the closet while playing as close to a drag queen as was legal in his day.

Posted by: candideinnc | May 6, 2013 8:54:59 PM

10. This movie looks incredible. I love the detail they've put into it. Rob Lowe's doctor is hilarious. Can't wait to see it.

Posted by: stranded | May 6, 2013 9:12:37 PM

11. and the moral of the story: Watermelon diets don't work.

Posted by: Booka | May 6, 2013 9:17:56 PM

12. This film looks amazing. Having experienced those years at an early age it was honestly more fun when being gay was forbidden. It was like being part of an exclusive club. I got to see gays come out through the decades as well. Today's version of gay is a bad mutation of heterosexuality. A perfect reason to get beat up.

Posted by: ED | May 6, 2013 9:27:46 PM

13. Oh Jeff, this movie looks like great fun. Not only that, it looks like there's maybe a chance to show just how awful society made things for gay people and perhaps remind how far we've come. That said, I won't defend the movie until I've actually seen it, but from this and the trailer, it looks like it should be quite good.

Posted by: MarkSquared | May 6, 2013 9:32:55 PM

14. http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2013/apr/03/fortenberrys-hands-and-body-are-key-piano-scenes-c/

Posted by: DeeVee | May 6, 2013 11:22:48 PM

15. i say this often, if only to make myself believe it. i am 70 years old. i grew up watching liberace's tv show (with george)and as with many men, especially those who had a secret (even from themselves), i was both intrigued and appalled by liberace. as one who knew and appreciated great music at an early age, i knew the artistry involved, but the opulence and strangely cadenced speech were seriously off-putting. i would never admit that i watched the show, and i wasn't a fan of his more honky tonk numbers, despite the incredible virtuosity playing them.

in later years i gave him grudging respect for having it his own way and flipping the bird, literally and figuratively at the society which reviled him, and he laughed, as he often said he cried, all the way to the bank. i'm a little concerned that this is going to come off as a vanity piece, because both douglas and damon are too old for their parts, and douglas simply cannot master that southern honey dripping accent of liberace. time will tell, but i will still recommend viewing the original for comparison.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 6, 2013 11:59:44 PM

16. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dioRwB4RvrQ

Posted by: bandanajack | May 7, 2013 12:06:36 AM

17. I can't believe Liberace was gay. I mean, women loved him! I didn't see that one coming. ----Austin Powers

Posted by: DickG | May 7, 2013 12:06:42 AM

18. Wow...just wow. No wonder mom would never let me watch...LOL

Posted by: millerbeach | May 7, 2013 5:27:17 AM

19. the problem with our some of our community's members (which is what jeff is guilty of) is that we still frame our judgments of other homos and how we are represented based on the establishment or heterosexual standards. heteros are no better than us the same way we are no better than they are. WE ARE ALL FLAWED, WE JUST HAVE DIFFERENT PREFERENCES. DUH.

Posted by: rickyzoo | May 7, 2013 5:53:17 AM

20. I can hardly wait!
    Both Douglas and Matt look amazing
    and it's high time that tribute was
    paid to a great artist and entertainer
    who made millions of people happy.
    Bah humbug to the haters.

Posted by: Bob | May 7, 2013 8:00:31 AM

21. I'm with Jeff -- soooo tired of watching straight actors portray gay men. It's like watching white actors in blackface. Don't they have any gay actors in Hollywood? Do they think we can't tell the difference? It's plastic and fake.

Posted by: Squirt | May 7, 2013 9:20:26 AM

22. Michael and Matt are going to be stellar in this... Emmys Emmys Emmys!

Posted by: Allen from Austin | May 7, 2013 10:00:22 AM

23. Note to Bandana Jack: Liberace was from Milwaukee, hence no southern accent. Also to Jeff: some, not all, but some gay men are pretty queeny. Making a movie about one does no disservice to the gay community.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | May 7, 2013 10:22:00 AM

24. I saw Liberace in concert with my entire family when I was about 12 years old. He was, indeed, fabulous. One of the greatest showmen who has ever lived. It is true that he was not "out" but everyone really knew that he was gay (homosexual as they said then) and no one, at least in the audience, could have cared less. He was deeply, deeply loved. As long as the story being told here is the truth, and it looks like it is as far as I can tell, I don't care WHO plays them, because it is really about THEM and not the actors. Liberace was a pioneer way before the current flood of "out" personalities in the news today. I miss him.

Posted by: Jim Brown | May 7, 2013 10:38:14 AM

25. Don't want to start anything, but I have a problem with this 'gay community' concept. And now I've just come across the term 'heterosexual community'. Are all Italian people in the the world an Italian community? Is there a serial killer community? I'm not sure the dictionary definition of 'community' supports the notion that every gay person on the planet is part of one community. I'm happy as a clam being gay but I sure as heck don't want to be lumped with a group of people solely for the reason that the common denominator is their sexual preference.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 7, 2013 11:50:38 AM