Film | Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

BigGayDeal.com

Behind the Scenes of HBO's Liberace Biopic with Matt Damon and Michael Douglas: VIDEO

Candelabra

HBO has released an excellent featurette on the upcoming Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra starring Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Rob Lowe, Debbie Reynolds, and Dan Akroyd.

The filmmakers discuss how they and the actors recreated Liberace's world and his life.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

It you missed the trailer, it's HERE.

Comments

1. Don't want to start anything, but I have a problem with this 'gay community' concept. And now I've just come across the term 'heterosexual community'. Are all Italian people in the the world an Italian community? Is there a serial killer community? I'm not sure the dictionary definition of 'community' supports the notion that every gay person on the planet is part of one community. I'm happy as a clam being gay but I sure as heck don't want to be lumped with a group of people solely for the reason that the common denominator is their sexual preference.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 7, 2013 11:50:38 AM

2. @squirt: why should gay characters only be played by gay actors? Does it mean that gay actors shouldn't be allowed to play straight roles either? Following your logic, only Liberace should be allowed to play himself.. They are ACTORS. Their sexuality doesn't interfere with their acting skills. You don't need to really be an astronaut, an alien or a rapist to play one, right? You need to be able to act the part. I'm really looking forwards to seeing this movie (although I wonder if it will be possible here, I'm in Belgium, therefore the probable english mistakes, sorry :)) the level of details in costumes and scenery looks stunning to me and the acting looks flawless so far!

Posted by: Kylian | May 7, 2013 12:28:31 PM

3. I met Liberace, and can say that he was a very quiet, sweet man offstage. It was Dallas, in the 1980s, he was in town on a concert tour, wearing a tan jumpsuit with way too much fabulous jewelry, but utterly charming. The driver was in an over the top uniform. I was working men's wear retail, Liberace came in, bought a ton of pjs and robes, then the store manager (big old queen!) came to the department and made a big deal about "Mr. Liberace", Liberace changed into the stage persona that we all remember, still very nice, but he was "ON", it was like someone through a switch, the change was instantaneous.

Having been to the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas (now closed) the costuming looks spot on, as do the cars, etc. To bad they didn't use his actual home in Palm Springs (where he died), it was a trip, there were still plastic rose blossoms wired to all the rose bushes, so the roses whould always be in bloom when he looked out. Liberace was one of a kind.

Posted by: jsb | May 7, 2013 2:07:22 PM

4. Be interesting to watch, but will undoubtedly want to take a bath immediately afterward.

Posted by: Alan Reeser | May 8, 2013 10:46:31 AM

5. Looney Toons/Bugs Bunny did a great although brief parody of Liberace.

Posted by: KevInPDX | May 9, 2013 9:55:06 AM

6. "Behind the Candelabra" will be a theatrical release in the UK. I don't know if it has already been posted here, but there is an extended theatrical trailer:

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 22, 2013 8:52:38 AM