BigGayDeal.com

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton Signs Marriage Equality Bill

Dayton
(twitter jeffrey thompson)

Governor Mark Dayton has signed the marriage equality bill into law, making Minnesota the 12th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The Star Tribune reports:

"By your political courage, you join that pantheon of exceptional leaders who did something extraordinary," Dayton said. "You changed the course of history for our state and our nation."

Dayton signed the marriage measure at a historic outdoor ceremony, a day after the Senate and House passed the proposal....Dayton acknowledged that a difficult step has been taken, but called it a crucial moment for equality.

“Progress has often been difficult, controversial and, initially, divisive,” Dayton said. “However, it has always been the next step ahead to fulfilling this country’s promise to every American.”

The ceremony kicked off a parade that took supporters to a massive downtown St. Paul celebration. The parade route in was lined with rainbow flags for the event.

Comments

1. Awesome! Thanks Minnesota!

Posted by: Wayne | May 14, 2013 6:33:48 PM

2. The Governor's expression speaks volumes.

Posted by: GB | May 14, 2013 6:42:43 PM

3. Excellent!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | May 14, 2013 6:42:56 PM

4. The crowds in Minnesota have been so amazing. Unbelievably passionate, joyful, colorful......and BIG. Really impressed by Minnesotans these past few days. I think I and many others took the state for granted because it's a Midwest state but it's inspiring, even emotional, watching these crowds and the pure joy and happiness and seeing so many come together for love and equality.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 14, 2013 6:43:30 PM

5. Does anyone have footage of Michele Bachmann's head exploding?

Posted by: Adam | May 14, 2013 6:47:10 PM

6. Congrats to Minnesota! However, I have to say that it kinda burns my ass that this story is not getting more play in the national media, other than just a brief mention in passing. Maybe my perceptions are off, but it seemed to me that marriage equality coming to RI and DE got more national mention or focus than MN. Not to take anything away from RI or DE, but MN's population is over 2.5 times that of those two states combined and the Twin Cities is one of the country's great gay meccas with one of the highest per capita urban gay populations (after San Francisco, Seattle, and Atlanta), so marriage equality in MN is going to have a much bigger overall impact. Furthermore, MN is only the second Midwestern state to enact marriage equality, and the first to do so via legislation--and only six months after an attempt at an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment in the state was narrowly defeated by referendum. IOW, today is a rather BIG DEAL in the ongoing march toward full gay equality in the US. And yet, all the national media wants to talk about is Benghazi, the IRS, and the AP. **Sigh**

Posted by: Scotty | May 14, 2013 7:53:37 PM

7. Oh, and interestingly it was a total scorcher in the Twin Cities today--a record high of 98 degrees! What a day for an outdoor signing followed by a party and celebration!

Posted by: Scotty | May 14, 2013 7:56:24 PM

8. I think in a way, that marriage equality has become so normalized and most people at this point, whether they're for or against, are like.....OK. It's no longer shocking. Which means it's not a story line anymore. The media loves controversy and marriage equality isn't a controversy anymore to anyone but the far-right wing.

That's just my opinion on the matter, because not even Delaware or Rhode Island got huge media coverage either. We're pretty much at the point where marriage equality is the new normal in America. I agree with you, though, Scotty, this is a very very big deal that's occurred over the past week in Minnesota.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 14, 2013 8:17:17 PM

9. Scotty you are right and where is the liberal state of Calif Tje media has been terriable about its reporting three cheers for Minn

Posted by: bructer | May 14, 2013 8:21:40 PM

10. Minnesota is now become interesting. I have distant relatives there who have never interested me much, and they still don't because I imagine they did not particularly approve of this. The government is way ahead of them this time. That's good government.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 14, 2013 8:47:52 PM

11. I get what you're saying, Francis #1, and I agree with it from a strictly media perspective (and the media is of course always stuck in its NYC/DC echo chamber to begin with). But on the ground, in spite of what polls might say, I wouldn't call same-sex marriage the "new normal" in the US, not when it's only legal in 12 out of 50 states and DC. Even if you add in states with civil unions and domestic partnerships that are legally equal to or substantially equal to marriage on the state level (NJ, IL, CO, NV, CA, HI, OR), you'd still have a minority of states. Seven of the ten most populous states have no state recognition of same-sex couples in any form (TX, FL, PA, OH, GA, MI, NC). The largest region of the country by population, the South, is entirely lacking in legal same-sex marriage or recognition of any kind for same-sex relationships. Absent a Supreme Court ruling, we still have no federal recognition for same-sex relationships. We still have a long, long way to go, so calling same-sex marriage the "new normal" strikes me as rather premature.

Posted by: Scotty | May 14, 2013 9:45:29 PM

12. You're right, Scotty. I wasn't really speaking for myself, though. I was speaking for what the media says regarding this issue. The media sees this as the new normal, the media sees this as now an every day ho hum situation. Heterosexual Americans, outside of our allies and outside of the anti-gay loons, pretty much see this as a "who cares" issue at this point and don't care too much. Mostly because these folk aren't actually fighting this issue themselves and are privileged and not informed of the discrimination that continues in America, but I digress.

Yes, we have a very long way to go and we don't truly have marriage equality at all given DOMA and so many other discriminatory laws in place throughout the country on a state level. I think what's happening is the positive momentum has almost shielded people from recognizing that there's is still a lot of homophobia and there is still a lot of discrimination. What's important is that the community doesn't get ahead of ourselves too much, and that as we celebrate our recent successes, we keep the ball moving forward.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 15, 2013 12:08:37 AM

13. When does it take effect?

Posted by: rick scatorum | May 15, 2013 2:10:18 AM

14. August 1st, Rick.

Posted by: Scotty | May 15, 2013 10:36:11 AM

15. Scotty, from my perspective that there are twelve states which have voted for marriage equality is something that I could not have ever imagined even 5 years ago. There will be more. Michigan seems poised to maybe accept marriage equality. Hell, even a majority polled in Arizona now favor marriage equality. This is amazing stuff what's going on. Then, there's Brasil, Uruguay, Mexico, France, possibly Cuba, England, Denmark, Sweden; the list goes on. This is awesome stuff. That I can witness my younger friends who are couples actually talk and plan to marry is incredible.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 15, 2013 11:01:48 AM