Glee | News | Ryan Murphy | Television | The New Normal

NBC Cancels 'The New Normal' After One Season

2_newnormal

NBC has canceled the gay parenting/surrogacy comedy The New Normal after one season, according to The Hollywood Reporter:

Boosted by The Voice, the Justin Bartha-Andrew Rannells starrer about a gay couple starting a family earned a full-season order in October despite early protests from conservative watchdog groups. The series, like the rest of its Tuesday block, suffered without The Voice, notching a string of lows before the singing competition returned to revitalize the lineup. While its April season finale was penned to serve as a potential series finale, producers said that a second se  ason would have featured the newly married couple raising their newborn son.

The 20th Television entry marks Murphy's first show to not move beyond its freshman run.

Murphy's other shows have been re-upped. Glee for two more seasons, and American Horror Story for a third season.

Comments

1. I loved all the characters...except the gay ones and I stopped watching

Posted by: QJ201 | May 11, 2013 9:06:17 AM

2. Ditto. I tried to watch but it just wasn't funny.

Posted by: MikeBoston | May 11, 2013 9:18:50 AM

3. I'm really not looking forward to One Million Moms claiming any sort of victory over this.

Posted by: Brian G | May 11, 2013 9:21:31 AM

4. I didn't love this show; it was too preachy. But I did appreciate the physical relationship between the two leads. You actually believed they were together unlike other gay couples on TV (hey there, Modern Family).

But the real downer today is that ABC has cancelled Happy Endings. That is the best comedy on TV.

Posted by: ripper | May 11, 2013 9:25:50 AM

5. Unacceptable.

Posted by: RMc | May 11, 2013 9:27:09 AM

6. This is a great show despite so many gays disliking it - it was a very much needed show for the gay community. I don't understand the gay community. This was a positive look at a gay couple's life and the gay community refused to get behind it. You reap what you sew. You can be assured those behind the NOMs, OMMs, etc are dancing with joy at the news. Had this show been on Fox, Fox would not have inlet it go.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 11, 2013 9:30:06 AM

7. I liked that it was so politically in your face and relevant to numerous current issues -- the boy scouts episode, for instance. In its way, I think it made the issues real to a lot of fence-sitters. IMHO the best character was 9-year old Bebe Wood. And anything that offends the One Million Moms deserves some kind of award.

Posted by: Robert | May 11, 2013 9:30:49 AM

8. Although not a perfect show by any means, it did show two gay men in a loving, stable relationship with a great support structure. Modern Familybuses their gay couple as a plot device and the subject of many degrading hijinks. I would have liked to have seen where this show could have gone in their second season.

Posted by: Paul B. | May 11, 2013 9:32:42 AM

9. How about a show about a male couple, both long term survivors with HIV, who met at an ACT UP! meeting in the 1980's, their trials and tribulations, and what it's like getting older? Or something along those lines.

Posted by: kodiak | May 11, 2013 9:33:00 AM

10. It could have been a good show, but I think it was too superficial. Suddenly they would have a kid, without carefully thinking through the consequences etc. I think it superficial did continued. The implementation was too far away from reality for people who choose to get a child through surrogacy. I stopped watching in the middle of the season.

Posted by: nn | May 11, 2013 9:33:16 AM

11. The New Normal was not funny. I tried to watch it but it was terrible. I actually grew to hate the couple the more I watched. The premise was horrible, the characters were awful stereotypes and it all started cuz the shopaholic materialistic caricature of a gay man wanted a baby after seeing one in the store....FAIL.

Posted by: Isaac | May 11, 2013 9:34:38 AM

12. Not every episode was a winner but it was well written with each episode having it's own theme. My biggest laugh was when the little girls went through the guys night stand and found the "clear lotion. It smells like strawberries"

Posted by: DickG | May 11, 2013 9:35:27 AM

13. I agree with Ripper. The real loss is Happy Endings. (and is "starrer" even a word?)

Posted by: Gregor | May 11, 2013 9:45:11 AM

14. The show was a piece of crap mouth piece for the twisted reich-wing Log Cabin Republican Shills Ryan Murphy loves to court.

In Ryan's world, the only smart character (who received all the laugh lines and who was made to look the 'most sane') was the gawd-awful Surrogate Grandmother whom Ryan used to inject His LCR talking points.

The show was rejected for the same reason Log Cabin Republicans are rejected by gays and straights: Their talking points are lies, or crap...

...or both.

Hey Murph; Don't let the door hit you and your fellow republican turncoats where the 'good lawd' split you.

Posted by: william | May 11, 2013 9:47:53 AM

15. I loved the bit where Bebe Wood did Edie from "Grey Gardens" but that was about it.
    It's a "nice little show" and this is an ugly world.

I'm far more moved by the cancellation of my favorite 15-car-collision on the I-Five
    "Smash."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 11, 2013 9:51:06 AM

16. Many existing shows decline after the introduction of a baby, and the promise of a baby was this show's main plotline from the beginning. So, I wouldn't read too much into *gayness* as being the problem. I never saw the show, so I don't know how funny it was. I am one of those people who can't relate to wanting or having a baby, so I wasn't interested.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 11, 2013 9:51:49 AM

17. We liked the show and made it a point to watch every week. I get the "it was superficial and unrealistic" parts, but seriously, has anyone actually SEEN a sitcom? How realistic are most of them.

At the same time, the question I've had since the first episode was what they expected to do once the baby actually arrived? They'd either have to completely retool the whole show or wrench the existing characters in really weird ways - either way, a potential disaster. Hire the surrogate to be the nanny for the child she bore?

It was a great attempt, and we'll miss it (not as much as we miss GCB!), but hopefully something else will come along.

Posted by: Lymis | May 11, 2013 9:58:18 AM

18. This show was sweet. And positive. And sentimental. And tons of other complimentary things.

It just wasn't that funny. For a comedy, that's an unforgivable sin. I watched every episode without regretting doing so, but I knew that it wasn't going to get renewed.

Posted by: OddBet | May 11, 2013 9:58:59 AM

19. Sad to see this show get canceled. Watched every week with my bf. It wasnt the best show on TV, but I felt it was a positive representation of gays and had plenty of funny scenes and decent stories.. Maybe it could be picked up by TBS or NBCs sister network USA?

If NBC ever wants to find success again they need to start letting shows breathe and not get the axe after just a few episodes or one season.

Shania reads:

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 11, 2013 10:07:46 AM

20. I liked the lead actors and thought they had some good "couple's moments" that carried some emotional heft and touched on real issues. The problem for me is that everything surrounding that just wasn't funny enough to keep me coming back.

Plus I don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, usually just The Daily Show & Colbert Report. I haven't even been watching them lately, just the clips posted here and other places.

Posted by: Caliban | May 11, 2013 10:11:55 AM

21. A shame. I really enjoyed it. How anyone can watch Glee anymore is beyond me. Horrible. Only on languishing NBC could it survive.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 11, 2013 10:13:33 AM

22. Maybe there's something to be said for working 3rd shift for 20+ years. Just this past February, I finally started watching "Will&Grace" reruns to catch up and see what the fuss was all about. What else have I missed?

Posted by: jamal49 | May 11, 2013 10:20:23 AM

23. It was a good show. I just never got into it. I only watched the first few episodes before I got bored with it. Maybe this is a sign on how far our community has progressed in society.

Posted by: Sam | May 11, 2013 10:22:45 AM

24. NBC should just cancel itself.

Posted by: Timmy | May 11, 2013 10:23:25 AM

25. Glee, renewed for two more seasons? WTF?! This show is a wreck, too many characters and storylines and horrible writing. Who watches that show anymore, it's become irrelevant. I hope they cancel American Idol and then Glee will die a slow death.

Posted by: KuMiCu | May 11, 2013 10:23:36 AM