Ellen DeGeneres | Neil Patrick Harris | News

Neil Patrick Harris Describes the Amazing Gift David Burtka Gave Him for His 40th Birthday: VIDEO

Nph

Feel guilty all you gay significant others out there. You're not doing nearly enough!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I couldn't figure out what was more important. The story, or telling it on Ellen. I suspect the latter...

Posted by: GB | May 9, 2013 11:39:35 PM

2. And I thought MYYYY fiancé was the most awesome surpriser! I'll definitely show him this! HMMMM I'm not much for scavenger hunting, but I'd love the traveling around . . .

Posted by: Carter | May 10, 2013 12:20:30 AM

3. Don't know why some folks think this elaborate birthday present would be prohibitively expensive. From the description, I suspect the cost was much lower than what people have assumed. The impressive part is the degree of planning and imagination that went into it.

Posted by: RJ | May 10, 2013 1:00:23 AM

4. Lovely.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 10, 2013 1:41:01 AM

5. The only way that could have been more exciting is if he showed us slides of his vacation to Boca Raton.

Posted by: Merv | May 10, 2013 3:06:29 AM

6. NPH, I love you, guy. But a little less detail goes a long way.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | May 10, 2013 6:47:58 AM

7. I am beyond tired of Neil Patrick Harris.

Posted by: Mark | May 10, 2013 7:36:49 AM

8. So I gotta say, that doesn't sound very good. I do gifts for a living, doing a scavenger hunt again is a bad move. Also, I gotta wonder what appeal massages and getting dressed by famous people has for someone who does that stuff all the time. The game is a good idea, actually I wonder if almost all gifts fall flat on him.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 10, 2013 9:17:08 AM

9. I know that NPH has been in the public eye for most of his life and has a powerful impulse to share EVERYTHING with the immediate universe. I fear, tho, that this over-sharing will continue with a half-hour online documentary about his birthday festival, adding to his self-violation of privacy.

It may be that he's protecting himself and his family by cleverly controlling the public exposure. Or it may be that he's lost all notion of privacy. I hope not, as that would probably ultimately do great harm to his relationship and to his family.

Posted by: Mort | May 10, 2013 10:54:57 AM

10. Never forget that NPH is a skilled stage magician, misdirection is second-nature. He and David wave these very-"shiny" family tidbits in front of the public and no-one notices anything else.

One of the great masters of this was Andy Warhol. "Andy Warhol" was a 24/7 public spectacle in his glasses and the white fright-wig toupe'. Then he'd take off the wig and put-in the contacts and disappear in plain-sight with his BF for the weekend with an entirely different group of close-friends.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 10, 2013 11:32:51 AM

11. @Ted B: I'm guessing you're right. I hope so.

Posted by: Mort | May 10, 2013 12:48:41 PM

12. (1) NPH is very talented and I enjoy his performances, especially as an awards host.

(2) I get tired of his "look at me" continual publicity tour, but, like everyone else, I don't have to watch.

(3)Who he, or his partner, have sex with is no one's business but theirs, and their tricks'. I'm always shocked at how bourgeois so many gay men are. Many couples, especially gay ones, have some sort of open arrangement about their sexual fidelity. Get over it.

Posted by: Buster | May 10, 2013 1:22:09 PM

13. "...All I could think of the whole time he was telling this story was "...but where were the kids during all this?" Ah, parenthood. You can't just jet set around the country anymore without making other arrangements first!...Posted by: Harrison..."

Could you make a bigger moron of yourself?

When you start asking nearly every heterosexual who has EVER appeared on an interview show that same quetion, then you might have a point...even though you don't.

Or are you just one of those RCNOM idiots who, through your bigotry, hold Gays to a much higher standard than your fellow lazy heterosexuals.

Which is it, troll?

Posted by: Bernie | May 10, 2013 1:46:44 PM

14. Wait, he's 40? Wow.

Posted by: John | May 10, 2013 7:11:04 PM

15. I don't get all these people saying "OMG, he's such an attention whore"... I mean, he a GUEST on a TV TALK SHOW, for f*cks sake. What's he supposed to do, sit there and stare at Ellen for 15 minutes? Or answer the same lame questions about How I Met Your Mother for the gazzilionth time? For him this was probably an opportunity to tell a great new story, which he was obviously very very excited about, and he did.

Funny, if you see all the comments on YouTube below this video, 99,9% of the people loved the story, but on Towleroad, not so much. Too many jealous, bitter, bitchy people around here, I guess...

Posted by: Lee | May 11, 2013 4:28:50 AM