Football (American) | New York | News | NFL | Sports

New York Jets Linebacker DeMario Davis: Gays are Sinners But I'd Welcome One to the Team

Davis

New York Jets linebacker DeMario Davis says he thinks gays are sinners but that doesn't mean he wouldn't welcome one to the Jets, the NY Daily News reports.

Said Davis:

"If someone was to come out on our team, we’re a team that’s about winning. When it comes to the (Jets), I put my personal beliefs separate from the team....According to the scriptures, and God’s law, homosexuality is wrong. The act is wrong. I’ve got homosexuals in my family who I love to death. I’ve got drunks in my family. I’ve got people who have premarital sex in my family. And I don’t agree with any of those things, but I still love and respect those people....The way that person would be viewed would not be changed. If that person were to go on and say he’s a Christian and he’s homosexual that doesn’t change how I feel about him. That’s his view, and I have mine."

Added Davis: "Anybody that can help our team, we’re more than happy to have them. It’s that same open-arms approach: we respect all in our locker room. We love all in our locker room.”

Comments

1. Wow that's some team spirit right there. I have a hard time believing folks like him could possibly enter Heaven.

Posted by: Jay | May 10, 2013 12:22:45 PM

2. I tolerate the woman sitting next to me at the office who gives money every week to the Catholic Church, although recently I did ask her why she supported baby-rapers.

Posted by: jht | May 10, 2013 12:22:58 PM

3. Respect -- Davis, you keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Posted by: Randy | May 10, 2013 12:25:26 PM

4. The Bible says that slavery is Ok.

Posted by: Adam | May 10, 2013 12:26:21 PM

5. The statement may be offensive in that he compares us to drunks, but people are allowed to have offensive views. He is saying he would not discriminate against someone, that's what we want. Now that he has said this on record we will watch him closer than ever and the moment he proves to have provided false witness it will be caught. This is the best we can expect from some views at this point, sad as that may be, and we would be foolish to attack him for this statement. Now next week when he is caught screaming slurs at his gay son as he kicks him out of the house we can attack him, (just a made up example) or any other time in the future where these words of "civil acceptance" (as opposed to religious) are proven the false statement many of us believe it to be. This statement alone is fine, as sad and disappointing as it is.

Posted by: Randyowen | May 10, 2013 12:26:53 PM

6. Imagine if a Mormon player said said to him, "My church believes that blacks represent Satan on earth. Blacks were allowed to survive the Great Flood so that Satan would have representation on the earth. But, you know, if you can play ball I don't care if you represent [Satan]. Whatevs." Somehow I don't think Mr. Davis would take kindly to this.

Posted by: Gigi | May 10, 2013 12:37:10 PM

7. What do you expect from an uneducated fool? These guys aren't playing sports because of their intellects.

Posted by: Adam | May 10, 2013 12:38:37 PM

8. Who cares about this triangle head idiot?

Posted by: Pig | May 10, 2013 12:38:41 PM

9. Who cares about this triangle head idiot?

Posted by: Pig | May 10, 2013 12:38:41 PM

10. What Mr. Davis does not understand is his religious views are a choice. He is basing his views on homosexuality on the belief that everyone else has the same views. I know many christens who have no problem with homosexuality. The statement they often make is "what would Christ do?"

I could no more change my sexuality than he could change the color of his skin.

Posted by: rees | May 10, 2013 12:39:52 PM

11. The thing is I'd prefer if said "I hate fags" than this BS. "Christian love" is one of the most absurd, perverted and disgusting things ever invented. It's nothing but a tool to help them deal with their cognitive dissonance. It allows to them to say and do the most heinous things with a smile and think they are doing something good.

He can have his opinion, but the best thing would have been for him to stay quiet.

Posted by: Steve | May 10, 2013 12:45:39 PM

12. "Somehow I don't think Mr. Davis would take kindly to this"

No, I don't think he would, GiGi. But Black NFL players have been playing on teams with Mormons for decades now. Did any sports reporters ask Steve Young his views on God's will about Blacks? He might have given answer similar to yours. That wouldn't have stopped Jerry Rice from playing with Young. And it DIDN'T stop Steve Young from playing along side Black team mates.

@"The Bible says that slavery is Ok"

You didn't have to be Black to be slave in the Bible, bright eyes.

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 12:47:48 PM

13. I love the evangelicals who are always so quick to point out someone else's "sin". He should make a list of his sins and let us go over to find the ones that make us uncomfortable. It's only fair.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | May 10, 2013 12:51:31 PM

14. Bigot

Posted by: RMc | May 10, 2013 12:52:11 PM

15. One of the thing I just can't fathom about the attidude of Christians in America , that is they strongly belive of the power of their faith and deity , very much so that as if it gives their opinions on any matter any relevancy .These people delude themselves into thinking that their " awareness " and "enlightenment" somehow matters to people outside their belief all in the while ignoring that to non-belivers and people of other beliefs , their faith and deity means so very little ,therefore their opinions and judgements bear no relevancy .

Posted by: KennyCassidy | May 10, 2013 12:52:33 PM

16. Meh, nothing wrong here. Stupid move to tell everyone how bigoted you can be though. Good to know you won't be an idiot and get yourself in trouble over your religious views, have fun polarizing your fan base!

Posted by: Fenrox | May 10, 2013 12:57:18 PM

17. I don't see why some of y'all are hatin on this dude. He doesn't have to agree with being gay but the fact that he can set his personal beliefs aside and still respect someone who differs from him is HUGE!! It bought him a lot of respect points in my book anyway

Posted by: DJ Gayburn | May 10, 2013 12:58:22 PM

18. Respect does not include Bigotry and Judgement. I guess having your brainless head smashed in every weekend eliminates any brain cells that remained in that obviously empty head!
    STFU Mr. Davis until you have something worthwhile to say.

Posted by: SFshawn | May 10, 2013 1:00:30 PM

19. Is it me, or does he seriously look like the first black Conehead...where are Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain when you need them?

Posted by: LuLo | May 10, 2013 1:07:12 PM

20. Odd how religious views are a one way street where you can pick and choose which morality to follow. Sure, he believes homosexuality is an abomination but has no problem shaving, wearing his uniform made up of more than one fabric, touching the dead skin of an animal when picking up a football, has no problem shaving, most likely has a tattoo, doesn't have issues with playing, technically working, football on Sundays.

Wonder is he accepts the religious views of others that use the Story of Hamm which clearly indicates blacks are inferior and should only be kept as slaves.

I am sure there is no problem with that.

Posted by: Michael | May 10, 2013 1:08:10 PM

21. I have two co-workers who are Fundamentalist Christians. They probably have the same view of me that DeMario Davis does. We get along. We respect each other here in the work place. There's nothing more I can ask of them.

There are some of you here on this blog who couldn't practice what you demand of DeMario. You couldn't hide your dislike for certain types people at your work place or at a public/social event simply based on "what they are"--especially if they resembled DeMario

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 1:10:57 PM

22. Does anyone else see this player's head to be very oddly shaped? Just wondering.

Posted by: Marco | May 10, 2013 1:11:10 PM

23. Respect. I don't think it means what you think it means.

You are confusing "respect" and "tolerance". Tolerance means putting up with something you dislike.

Posted by: Steve | May 10, 2013 1:16:27 PM

24. It's obvious Mr. Davis is a sinner too. He appears to be suffering from the sin of pride, and also that of judging others. He should work on himself before cutting up everyone else.

Also, to compare gays to alcoholics is obscene.

Posted by: Jack M | May 10, 2013 1:19:35 PM

25. When will reporters start asking these christian bigots why they think their religious view should apply to everyone? To me, that would be the follow-up question. Oh wait, we don't have a media anymore...sorry.

Posted by: Craig | May 10, 2013 1:22:47 PM