Football (American) | New York | News | NFL | Sports

New York Jets Linebacker DeMario Davis: Gays are Sinners But I'd Welcome One to the Team

Davis

New York Jets linebacker DeMario Davis says he thinks gays are sinners but that doesn't mean he wouldn't welcome one to the Jets, the NY Daily News reports.

Said Davis:

"If someone was to come out on our team, we’re a team that’s about winning. When it comes to the (Jets), I put my personal beliefs separate from the team....According to the scriptures, and God’s law, homosexuality is wrong. The act is wrong. I’ve got homosexuals in my family who I love to death. I’ve got drunks in my family. I’ve got people who have premarital sex in my family. And I don’t agree with any of those things, but I still love and respect those people....The way that person would be viewed would not be changed. If that person were to go on and say he’s a Christian and he’s homosexual that doesn’t change how I feel about him. That’s his view, and I have mine."

Added Davis: "Anybody that can help our team, we’re more than happy to have them. It’s that same open-arms approach: we respect all in our locker room. We love all in our locker room.”

Comments

1. Do I like what he said? Not only no but H*LL no.

But much as we don't like attitudes like his, and even think they're stupid (I certainly think so), you can't force everybody to toe some PC line. So long as they don't believe in LEGAL discrimination I don't give a f*ck what they think, or their religious beliefs are.

There's no way to impose and enforce mind control and groupthink like that. So long as they aren't allowed to force THEIR beliefs on us either, that's all we can reasonable do.

I mean the guy's an idiot, but so long as he's got a live and let live attitude I'm not going to get my pants in a knot over it.

Posted by: Caliban | May 10, 2013 1:49:30 PM

2. I'm always wondering the same thing Craig. Why in the hell would you think that your religious beliefs apply to all of us should be a question asked to ANYONE who blurts out such stupidity. Followed by that biblical verse where us blacks shouldn't be treated like human beings because, you know, we're dark skinned or whatever. Don't give them a pass because they're pro-athletes. I know I wouldn't. Ugh!

Posted by: SHABAKA | May 10, 2013 2:19:31 PM

3. So the brain occupies the tip only? Make sense.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | May 10, 2013 2:21:10 PM

4. A dunce cap would fit that pointed head perfectly.

Posted by: Jim | May 10, 2013 2:36:57 PM

5. Nice hair, Peanut Head.

Posted by: Goober Smoocher (Rick) | May 10, 2013 3:07:03 PM

6. Nice hair, Peanut Head.

Posted by: Goober Smoocher (Rick) | May 10, 2013 3:07:03 PM

7. @Derrick""I have two co-workers who are Fundamentalist Christians. They probably have the same view of me that DeMario Davis does."

Are you Jewish? I always thought you were Black.

Posted by: Rick Hearne | May 10, 2013 3:16:38 PM

8. *This from a guy with a deformed skull.....
    It must be squeezing his brain.

We are ALL sinners...what an ignorant fool.

Posted by: Bigun | May 10, 2013 3:19:30 PM

9. Hmmm more like: I look at you in disgust, but your filthy gay hands can have one of my freshly baked cookies...just use a napkin to pick it up.

Posted by: Johnny | May 10, 2013 3:44:04 PM

10. Thanks Demario

I say this because I want to celebrate his strength for taking that first step.

Demario made his preemptive statement (however inarticulate or hurtful it may seem to others) of support for a gay teammate from the heart with no intent of malice and without thought for personal gain.

On the subject of a gay teammate Demario has elevated his thinking above the pollution of his religious teachings.

In time a true gay friend or advocate may be able to explain to him the hurt that word associations can cause, and the difference between tolerance and acceptance, especially in a team setting.

At the very least he took that first step and that's the hardest one.

Posted by: JONES | May 10, 2013 5:03:56 PM

11. Dear Religion: Just stop. You've done enough harm for one planet.

Posted by: Marc | May 10, 2013 5:08:34 PM

12. I wonder if he will be pressured to make a statement "clarifying" what he meant in a week or so...

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | May 10, 2013 5:31:36 PM

13. 50 bucks to the girl who can probably easily prove this hypocrite has noooooo problem with premarital sex. ready, go.

Posted by: Stef | May 10, 2013 9:24:53 PM

14. I don't understand why blacks are Christians anyway. It's the religion that enslaved them for 300 years, and features a Jewish messiah. Very odd combination of races that are not known to mix...

Posted by: ty | May 10, 2013 10:01:02 PM

15. No, his comments and views are not OK. Yes, if he's tolerant, I'll/we'll be tolerant. But that doesn't make his comments OK. It just means that I can coexist with him in a business relationship.

Of course, I'm CERTAIN a large portion of NFL/NBA/MLB players feel roughly the same way. Where they think homosexuality is wrong personally but have enough respect for their teammate to respect their life and humanity. Well, as much respect as one can have, while simultaneously holding views that condemn our very being.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 10, 2013 10:13:07 PM

16. I guess we shouldn't bad-mouth the mentally challenged dim-wits. Durrr.

Posted by: BeeBop | May 11, 2013 7:02:11 AM

17. Compared to a lot of of homophobic vitriol I read on this website, I think Davis has a fairly pragmatic and sensible standpoint.

He doesn't have to accept or like homosexuality. But if he can tolerate it and function as a grown adult alongside homosexuals, that's a great place to start.

Posted by: Lucky Luke | May 11, 2013 7:35:02 AM

18. another genius in a jersey.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 11, 2013 9:01:28 AM

19. idiot.

Posted by: steve | May 11, 2013 10:38:58 AM

20. that haircut if offensive to me.

Posted by: steven | May 11, 2013 11:43:47 AM

21. I don't respect his expression of anti-gay bigotry any more than I would respect an expression of anti-Semitism. He's entitled to express his bigotry; he isn't entitled to my respect for it. Some commenters here have been listening to too much tactical self-victimization by Christian bigots who judge with impunity and then wail when they get judged back.

Posted by: Skep | May 11, 2013 12:11:41 PM

22. @disgusted american

Of course Davis is a sinner -- he works on the Sabbath.

Posted by: Rich | May 11, 2013 3:53:29 PM

23. Whats so wrong with his statement? He saying he has his own beliefs but accepts others? I think its pretty stand up that he, having been asked (he didn't make a statement), he answered with his honest beliefs. I dont see anything offensive here. He probably wont go and march for gay marriage rights, but thats why its something that shouldn't be put to a popular vote.

Posted by: cojovi79 | May 12, 2013 6:49:52 PM

24. Notwithstanding setting blacks back, this fool thinks this idiocy will get him into heaven. Sad.

Posted by: DC Arnold | May 12, 2013 10:03:56 PM