Football | News | Robbie Rogers | Sports

Gay Footballer Robbie Rogers Meets the Media, Could Play with Galaxy as Early as Sunday Night: VIDEO

Rogers

Yesterday we reported news that Robbie Rogers had signed with the LA Galaxy, making him the first out gay footballer in Major League Soccer. Rogers met the media yesterday to talk about the signing.

Said Rogers

"I kept my secret because I thought I couldn't be both a soccer player and a gay athlete...I was afraid to put myself back in a situation where I felt like I was kind of an outcast or just different from people, but through this whole process I've realized that everyone is a bit different."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rogers could hit the field and play with the Galaxy as soon as Sunday night.

Comments

1. Makes me proud to be a gay man.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 26, 2013 12:55:06 PM

2. This is the worst fear of the homophobes coming true. Gay men coming out that totally contradict all the femme, nelly stereotypes carefully foisted for generations to make gay men ashamed to be gay. Tear down the stereotypes!

Posted by: Ian | May 26, 2013 1:04:59 PM

3. From now on, he shall be known as Gay Footballer Robbie Rogers.

Posted by: PE | May 26, 2013 1:15:07 PM

4. Good luck with that, I guess.
    Couldn't care less about soccer though.

Posted by: Rancor | May 26, 2013 1:15:19 PM

5. I'm with Ian. The stereotypes have hurt us far more than anything, they are a self-inflicted kind of AIDS.
    This sweet and wholesome man, like Collins, is the best form of antidote in the world.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 26, 2013 1:27:28 PM

6. good for him... this sends a much stronger message to LGBT youth, you don't have to leave sports to come out you can be who you are and still do the things you love.

Posted by: Terry | May 26, 2013 1:45:07 PM

7. Memo to headline writer: This is America. He is an American. He has signed with an American team. He is a soccer player, not a "Footballer".

Posted by: Bill | May 26, 2013 1:54:58 PM

8. I have to agree with Ian and UFFDA here. The "Pride Parades" of yesteryear that focused on the flamboyance and risque subcultures of the LGBT community embarrassed me immensely, and probably contributed to me not coming out earlier in life. Thankfully, that is changing.

Posted by: neonzx | May 26, 2013 2:05:25 PM

9. @neonzx
    Those flamboyant subculture Out Priders of yesteryear got their heads bashed in and persevered to blaze the trail for equality despite your closeted embarrassment and lack of participation. They made it possible for you to hold your head a little bit higher as you enjoy those freedoms their actions paved the way for ... including making it possible for Robbie Rogers to come out as a major league footballer.

UFFDA's AIDS comment is disgusting.

Also ... Nobody ever said you had to be flamboyant or risque. You could have participated at any time as just yourself. That's what the rainbow symbolized.

Posted by: JONES | May 26, 2013 2:24:58 PM

10. At least it's not a major U.S. sport.

Posted by: Krajci | May 26, 2013 2:52:00 PM

11. *Swoon*, he's too cute. . Really happy for him. Just hope he can shake off the epithet "Gay footballer" and become just the "Football player/Soccer Player Robbie Rogers" with focus on his performance.

Posted by: AJJ | May 26, 2013 2:58:55 PM

12. Don't like him -- at all. Rooting for the teams he plays against.

Posted by: LDC | May 26, 2013 3:11:41 PM

13. Now it's time to ask him why he's a conservative: “I’m a Catholic, I’m a conservative, I’m a footballer and I’m gay."

Posted by: Shawn | May 26, 2013 3:18:30 PM

14. Robbie will, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) will be identified as and known for being gay, and the gay footballer, and the first and only gay man to be out at in the middle of his career (given all others have retired or been at the end of their careers). He's not just another player, not right now, and probably not ever. His sense of normality has changed forever. As long as he's the only one then he's going to have a large spotlight on him in the outside world.

Plus he is having to replace the Galaxy's highest goal scorer. So if he falls on his face and struggles, and Mike Magee does well on Chicago, don't be surprised to see the good vibrations turn ugly.

Luckily for Robbie, soccer isn't a big sport in America. So he won't have to deal with gay gay gay questions 24/7 in interviews, I don't think. He's not someone who is really going to move the needle in the mainstream world. Sometime soon with the media in the soccer world, he'll be judged based on his game. Now he needs to be productive; a lot of pressure is on him to succeed.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 26, 2013 3:43:31 PM

15. Catholic and a conservative? Well that says it all right there, doesn't it? No wonder the guy is so self-loathing.

Posted by: Chris | May 26, 2013 3:50:06 PM

16. lighten up, francis

Posted by: gomez | May 26, 2013 3:51:26 PM

17. Ten questions game for Robbie.

I'll start

1. Robbie, do you have a boyfriend?

Posted by: JONES | May 26, 2013 4:07:51 PM

18. Very proud of Robbie. With the World Cup around the corner I can't think of a sport in which a gay athlete could have the most impact. So I'm rooting for his success.

PS: There are some seriously pathetic gays on this thread, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Posted by: Gast | May 26, 2013 4:10:17 PM

19. The mighty hand of YouTube has censored this video. Go Google!

Posted by: Randy | May 26, 2013 4:32:19 PM

20. Hey JONES, I saw him first. Or we could share. Also, agree with you Gast about the pathetic gays.

Posted by: fairi5fair | May 26, 2013 4:32:23 PM

21. Now that the LA Galaxy have an out player, there's going to be so much sex in the locker room. At least that's my understanding of how these things work.

Posted by: daws | May 26, 2013 4:32:34 PM

22. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/05/26/team-says-robbie-rogers-has-been-added-to-la-galaxy-roster/

Posted by: Randy | May 26, 2013 4:38:47 PM

23. I am a big soccer fan so this acquisition by the LAGalaxy is not only unprecedented but incredibly wise. Rogers is a great player, he's no sluff and like Beckham will bring much publicity and fans in the seats. Yes, he'll be considered 'the' gay soccer player but who gives a sh*t? He's one of us and the guy is amazing on the field. Mike McGee, though a good soccer player, simply doesn't measure up in speed and ease of play, so those claiming Robbie 'ran him out' of the game and back to his home town are just being stupid and full of sour grapes.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 26, 2013 5:24:55 PM

24. Hopefully he plays tonight, I'm already really nervous.

I should clarify my above comment---I don't think it's a bad thing that he's going to be recognized and considered the gay soccer player, or the gay athlete. If anything, it's a good thing because it serves to normalize being gay in sport. But for those who want him to be seen as a soccer player first (and that includes Robbie), it's not going to happen for a while. Regardless, what he's doing is amazing for soccer, amazing for the LGBTQ community and awesome for kids, gay and straight, who need a role model like Robbie to look up to.

It's a major step forward for us as a community and Robbie is happy and comfortable in his own skin and ready to rock on the soccer field. I wish him the best and definitely hope for the best, as we all should.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 26, 2013 5:44:39 PM

25. I'm glad that Robbie is coming back to MLS but not happy that he's playing for the Galaxy.

Posted by: Tracy | May 26, 2013 7:14:52 PM