Canada | Crime | Gay Youth | News

BigGayDeal.com

Young Gay Boy Beaten In Hate Crime Attack

Earlier this month, a gay 13-year-old boy was attacked by four teens who shouted "faggot" and "queer" as they pummeled him on the ground and threatened his life. The assault left the Canadian child with injuries on the left side of his body - mainly on his ribs, the kidney area and his arm.

The Chatham Daily News reports on the incident and the anonymous young teen, who, for the sake of this article, goes by the name "David."

1297418146380_ORIGINAL“They were calling me names like 'faggot' and 'queer' and they were telling me that I should go to hell,” said David. “I tried to ignore them and I tried to go to the other side of the street, but then one kid pushed me back.”

He lost his balance and when he hit the ground the youths began to kick him, continuing their verbal onslaught. David curled up and did his best to protect his head from the blows, trying to figure how to get away.

“I was in a ball and sort of in shock,” he said. “I was thinking 'Wow, this really hurts.' It felt really long, but it probably only lasted 15 seconds-ish.” Even when the kicking stopped, the threats didn't.

“The leader of the group, he turned around pulled out a pocket knife,” David said. “(He) flipped it up and said 'If you tell anyone, then you're going to die.' And then he ran away.”

It appears as if David is surrounded by very supportive parents. Said the boy's father to his son:

“Thank God you're different because I wouldn't want you to be like those idiots,” he said. “I'm glad you are who you are. At least you're brave enough to be a real person.”

The Chatham-Kent Police are reportedly actively investigating this assault as a hate crime.

Comments

1. My mother is the president of PFLAG, my father the treasurer, and we're not wealthy. i grew up in a comfortable middle-class home with a mother who worked as a secretary, and a father who began his carreer as a chartered accountant and eventually moved up the ranks to CFO, and who is now a business professor in a local college.

there, now (as usual) you have even more information about me and my family than before, while you still change screen names like the anonymous hack that you are, in order to avoid ever telling the truth about yourself.

i've been involved in activism and advocacy since i was a teen.

i have never seen a shred of evidence to support you've done a damn thing in your life, ever. and you won't provide it, because you're a coward and a troll. and that's OK.

we do a lot. and you can see exactly what, because i share it.

will you now "show" what you do? of course not. you complain about others because there's nothing good you can say about yourself.

here's mum and i from two days ago

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 4:41:38 PM

2. so your mother spoke at an event that equates gay people with transsexuals and then embraced a notorious homophobe who was just exposed on video calling gay people "fags." not sure how any of this helps gay kids like david.

OTOH we shouldnt be too hard on Ms. Miller. she has had to endure great disappointment for more than 30 years. that would tax any person to the breaking point.

Posted by: Sam | May 19, 2013 6:58:10 PM

3. nope. my mother proudly spoke out against homophobia and transphobia. because my mother, like all human beings who aren't worthless sacks of S**t, embraces the trans community as much as she embraces her own two children - one gay, and one straight.
    and she displayed an admirable act of grace by embracing our city's notorious homphobe, MOMENTS AFTER very clearly calling out what he has done, and condoned. she's pure class.

but hey, keep changing screen names in order to pathetically fail at knocking me. you can't point to a single damn thing you've done in your own failed life.

can you show us any things you've done? of course not. hence your continued obsessive fury at me.

:D

my mom's a dynamo. i'm sorry yours regrets not having an abortion.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 7:16:06 PM

4. Kiwi:

Thanks for your response. Here's mine:

- Good for your mom and dad for being involved with PFLAG. However, you are not your mom or your dad, although you might have been raised to think of their accomplishments (and their money) as your own. The question is what do YOU do to help kids like the one in the article. So far as I can tell, the answer is NADA.

- If your dad was a CFO, then you are rich. Sorry, but I don't know of any CFOs who are middle class, unless his company went bankrupt. Maybe being part of the 1% doesn't mesh with your image, but facts are facts. The CFO is typically the 2d highest paid employees in a corporation.

- I have been commenting here and on other blogs for years. I always use the same name, which is my name IRL. I don't know why you would think that I am somebody else, when I am not.

- What have I done? How about several hundred hours/year volunteering and approx. $12,000 in donations total over the last 5 years (2008-2012). I can't "show" you this because, unlike you, I don't whore myself out on Facebook, blogs, twitter and the rest of social media. In other words, I live what was considered a normal life for nearly 100% of the population 10 years ago. But nevertheless, the above is what I, Fritz Clemmons, have done, not what my mother or father have done. Still waiting to hear what you do up there in Canada for LGBT people other than post comments on Towleroad.

Posted by: Fritz | May 19, 2013 7:29:12 PM

5. Fritz - link to proof that you are who you claim you are please :D

Ah,,...right. You want proof from me, but you don't have proof of your OWN work, because you don't "whore yourself" like i do.

got it. so you refuse to do yourself what you come on here to ask of me

that's why i love you wimps. you prove my points right. :D

but no, we weren't rich. we were very-comfortably middle class. and my father retired back in 2001. since then, he's taught at a college.

so, now the funny part! you wanting proof and citations from me, when you yourself don't have any to share. you so silly. i'll do it though. why? unlike you, i have nothing to hide.

:D now, i started as a teen. going into schools, local churches, talking about my experiences. this was like in 2000. no youtube yet :D i've volunteered with numerous LGBT Outreach groups, in canada and the US, and with a few direct-action activist groups. addressing issues of internalized homophobia and racism and transphobia i've been interviewed by numerous canadian publications. :D you can google 'em, buddyboy.

there's one tv appearance. was on a national news program. the vid may not still be up, but transcripts are there.

plus, had a youtube channel for a number of years. may seem insignificant until you remember that for many young people, internet access is the only outlet they have to seeing and hearing positive gay voices. and voices of allies. i've done numerous videos addressing LGBT issues with my family. a simple easy way to reach people in other parts of the country, and world. and that's why i do it - because it's literally as simple as clicking "record".

now, of course, the obvious thing is that you're obsessed with me - why else on a site rampant with anti-gay hate from trolls would you focus on me? you type hate with one hand and likely masturbate furiously with two pudgy fingers on the other. so, why me? simple - i do what you can't, and won't. ;-)
    that's what's so cute - you demand proof while not offering any of your own. but hey, i'm used to you guys pulling that nonsense ;-)

this won't impress you, of course. but that's ok. when a plebe wants proof from someone withour providing any of his own to back up his claims, he shows he's just here to fight. so i'll just post this to show when your bluff gets called, you run away.

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 7:56:32 PM

6. Fritz, I know you're a worthless coward with an unhealthy obsession with me, but just in case you're so crazy that you can't see why others would notice, here's why:

why did you address me, specifically, on this thread?

look at what my original post says. what specifics things in it do you have a specific objection to? likely nothing. but you have no life and no testicles, and interacting with me to have a fight is something you needed to do do distract yourself from your own lame@ss life.

a boy gets beaten up. i commend and point out how wonderful this boy's father seems to be. you, for the reasons i've pointed out, decide that you need to derail this into an obsessive discussion about me. i'd not have such an ego if you cowardly trolls didn't obsessively talk about me. it's like i'm your God.

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 8:08:17 PM

7. Kiwi, you are losing your connection with reality. I have no obsession with you. This is the first time I have communicated with you. Why did I single you out with a comment this time? Because this story came from Canada, where you live. It is maybe the third or fourth homophobic incident from Canada that I have read about this month. Now I know that you are not the PM of Canada and aren't responsible for fixing the whole country, but you sure do talk a big game here. And I had never (and still have not) seen any indication that you do anything to make it a better place for LGBT kids.

Now I didn't ask you for links. I take your as evidence your word on what specific things you have done, as I would hope that you would accept mine. Of course, what I have done isn't really that relevant because I am not in a contest with you and I don't come on here daily posting all kinds of sermons about how things ought to be. So even if I did nothing, I couldn't be accused of hypocrisy.

By contrast, you have an awful lot to say about how people should think and behave and you have a lot to say about the state of gay people in the world. So it is fair game to ask whether your actions match your words.

As far as I can tell, you have made 2 "contributions". One is to talk about yourself - here, on Youtube, etc. The other is to police "internalized homophobia" by which you mean attack other gay people for thinking differently than you. What you cannot be bothered to do is to homophobia out in the non-gay world - you know, which is 97% of the world and which is the cause of the "internalized" variant that vexes you so much.

It really is swell that you dedicate so much time talking about yourself and policing the thoughts and language of gay people online - from Towleroad to Grindr. But you might consider that it would be far more helpful to kids like David if you would be there for them in the real world. It wouldn't be as easy to help kids like this as it is to post rants on Towelroad, but at least you could say that you did something worthwhile with your life.

Also, my fingers are not pudgy.

Posted by: Fritz | May 19, 2013 9:26:38 PM

8. and as far as i can tell, since you've given no proof of anything, you spend more time thinking of things to dislike about me than things you can proactively do to visibly and vocally be a face and voice and name for LGBT Equality.

you can't demand proof from someone in the same breath that you give excuses for giving none of your own.

chump :D

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 9:38:02 PM

9. Fine, assume that I have done nothing useful in life. That doesn't negate anything I have said about how you spend your time now and how you might better spend your time to help kids like David. You have a lot of passion and energy. Use it wisely.

Posted by: Fritz | May 19, 2013 10:16:52 PM

10. I have to assume that, since you can't verify a darn thing of your own :D

spend a little less time thinking about me. seriously.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 19, 2013 10:27:07 PM

11. *elegant curtsy*

Would any evening on Towleroad be complete without Kiwi's elegant curtsy?!

Fritz, I know Kiwi can be a bit over the top, but he is a serious and well-known advocate for LGBT rights - this can't be denied. Talking about the need for people to come out of the closet IS doing something. It is creating an atmosphere that makes it more likely that LGBT youth will be able to come out. And this is needed change. If he constantly publicizes his own story in the process that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Other gay people may see their own situation in his story - and it's good for them to see this. Also, didn't Kiwi once write on this website that he once took in a young gay kid as charity (i.e. not as a roommate?) I think he did.

That said, be grateful that he isn't telling you to give yourself a gasoline enema. I was told once to pull a Sylvia Plath and put my head in an oven. And once to die in a car fire.

And it's OK, Raymond. No need to thank me for defending you. No, really.......you can go back to "ignoring" me!

Posted by: Mary | May 19, 2013 11:25:36 PM

12. Mary, who told you those horrible things? Are you referring to Kiwi or someone else? Either way, never ever take such disgusting talk to heart. Ignore it. No one should ever be subjected to language like that, no matter the source or the intent or the context.

As for Kiwi, I had never heard that he took in homeless gay kid and he did not mention it in our exchange above. If he did that, I would readily acknowledge that that is a meaningful, positive act that helped gay youth. I don't credit bloviating on the internet as counting for squat. Anyone can run his mouth off about himself.

Funny thing about Raymond. If you watch his videos, he actually comes off like a nice fellow. He has good intentions and is very smart and articulate. I don't know what this place does to him, but when he comes on here, those aspects of him seem to fade away and he gets very negative and hostile. Too bad. I like the other Kiwi a whole lot more, and that one is probably closer to his real persona.

Posted by: Fritz | May 20, 2013 1:26:02 AM