Andrew Luck | Football (American) | NFL | Sports

Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck: If a Gay Player is Thinking About Coming Out, He Should — VIDEO

Luck

Indianapolis Colts star quarterback Andrew Luck was asked by CNN how he'd feel about an openly gay player on the team and in the NFL. Luck gives his full approval and support:

“I mean, it's the 21 century. I know I would have absolutely no problem with it. I hope no one would treat him any differently than any straight player, and no special treatment. He's another guy...It's none of our business, the sexual preference of people. I hope if someone's thinking about (coming out), that if they do come out as gay and are a professional football player, and it makes them happy and it makes their life easier, then I think they should do it....When it does, if it does come, I'd be disappointed if there was a negative reaction among players."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I would not mind if he was the first to come out. Nope, I wouldn't mind that at all

Posted by: nmmagyar | Jun 1, 2013 4:52:04 PM

2. That Stanford education has payed off for Andrew. Very impressed. And unlike most other players, there's no conditions or "tolerance" but true acceptance. Good on him, he's a star player so his words have weight.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 1, 2013 4:57:07 PM

3. What a gorgeous man!

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 1, 2013 4:57:27 PM

4. I like him. Comes off as a really good guy and a regular 'joe'.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jun 1, 2013 5:02:42 PM

5. But according to most effeminate gays...masculine gays don't exist.....no wonder equal rights are taking so long...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 1, 2013 5:22:04 PM

6. Don't know where my comment went.....and don't remember what I said !!!!

But I like this guy, he seems an ordinary player who wants to play without the overtones of who or what you are.

And he is so right ! It is the 21st Century.....so grow up !.......and that includes yo Illinois politicians.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 1, 2013 5:39:06 PM

7. Wow! No one has attacked him yet for using the term "sexual preference"? It's a great day at Towleroad!!!

All the bitter queens must be too busy sucking c**k at gay days.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jun 1, 2013 5:51:40 PM

8. Go Colts! He's a great player with a great future.

Posted by: Reality | Jun 1, 2013 5:54:17 PM

9. My city keeps surprising me over and over. Thanks, Andrew Luck!

Posted by: johnny | Jun 1, 2013 5:59:41 PM

10. What a handsome and wise man.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 1, 2013 6:24:04 PM

11. Can't help but notice that Andrew wasn't asked his opinion on gay marriage. Just about having an out gay player on the team.

I don't doubt he'd be a equal rights supporter 'this is the 21st century' but still.

Good on Andrew.
    And good on Indy, wish you 'Luck' this year.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 1, 2013 6:26:00 PM

12. Props on his personal opinion. He seems like a nice guy. But (much like it took a long while for myself to actually respect Chris Kluwe for being so bold and brave) it's going to take more time for me before I jump on the bandwagon. Nothing personal nor disrespecting. Just cautious.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jun 1, 2013 6:28:46 PM

13. When will these semi-educated players stop referring to the homosexual orientation as a sexual preference?

Posted by: Brent | Jun 1, 2013 6:38:23 PM

14. Seems what he is saying is so ordinary , so away from the drama of the issues;
    he's saying ,
    "humph, so what, a gay player ? who cares ? I hope he's happy and if he comes out, so what?"

Good for you Mr.Andrew Luck, you are an actual adult......a rare breed in the Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta that the right wing is dancing.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 1, 2013 6:39:38 PM

15. Why stick his neck out for this? Somebody wants it. Cute guy..

Posted by: Edward | Jun 1, 2013 6:40:37 PM

16. How sad that many of you are referring mainly to his looks! You are appearance fascists in constant need of validation and shout-outs. You are highly insecure ally-seekers.

Posted by: Brent | Jun 1, 2013 6:54:37 PM

17. Quit yer bitchin and embrace these fantastic allies like Luck, Ayanbadejo, Cohen, etc. They could very easily have fantastic lives without sticking their necks out. Real heroes.

Posted by: melvin | Jun 1, 2013 8:01:32 PM

18. I'll tell you why he wasn't asked his opinion on gay marriage. Because his segment was about SPORTS. A gay player is a sports question. You'll notice he, too, he wasn't asked his opinion about cake decorators who refuse to sell to gay clients.

Posted by: will | Jun 1, 2013 8:14:00 PM

19. Or what he thought about "Beyond the Candelabra"!

Posted by: will | Jun 1, 2013 8:16:54 PM

20. Alan and Brent are the same troll. Please continue to ignore them.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 1, 2013 8:26:38 PM

21. MateoM,

We all know Alan is a troll and the regulars here never even read his comments as soon as we see his name. Very deranged, psychologically insane animal (no offense to animals). We mostly laugh at Alan knowing his life will be cut short soon.

Anyhow, this man is lovely, compassionate and yes, absolutely stunning! and I'm proud to compliment him on all three attributes!

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 1, 2013 8:51:59 PM

22. What an awesome statement. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!

Posted by: DatDude | Jun 1, 2013 8:52:58 PM

23. Very cool of him
    Seems like a genuine man.

Posted by: Reajaio | Jun 1, 2013 8:53:21 PM

24. Real men are not afraid of their gay brothers.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 1, 2013 9:13:34 PM

25. Gee. What a nice, very sexy man! Great voice!

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 1, 2013 9:43:44 PM