Anthony Weiner

BigGayDeal.com

Anthony Weiner Addresses 'Dyke Comment' Controversy

Weiner

Anthony Weiner has responded to a growing controversy over his "lack of moral outrage" after a constituent referred to NYC mayoral contender Christine Quinn as a "dyke."

The controversy started after a brief exchange with a woman whom he was trying to get to sign his mayoral candidacy petition:

“You a registered Democrat?” he asked an elderly woman wheeling a shopping cart by him.

“I am,” she said. “And I’m not voting for uh, what’s her name? The dyke.”

“Okay. I just need you to sign the petition to get me on the ballot,” said Weiner, who then noticed the incredulous reaction of a reporter and added, “and you really shouldn’t talk that way about people.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” the woman said.

“It’s okay,” Weiner responded. “It’s not your fault.”

Weiner's campaign released the following statement today after growing pressure from outraged politicians and individuals upset at his response. From the Washington Post:

“Homophobia is vile and destructive and something I have fought against for the entirety of my career, including being a vocal supporter of gay marriage since 1998 and standing up on the floor of Congress for transgender Americans. I admonished the woman amid a large crowd on a street corner and by no means believe that anything about her comment was appropriate. If the impression is that I did, I apologize because behavior like this will absolutely not be tolerated in my administration."

(Photo by Boss Tweed via Flickr.)

Comments

1. Why isn't anyone carrying a sign stating "I Like Weiner"? It would be so appropriate for this procession, no?

Posted by: misha | Jun 21, 2013 10:22:24 AM

2. Oh, we most certainly need to get a life here. Talk about a non-issue. Look for the smarmy hand of that, uh, Democratic mayoral candidate who happens to be lesbian, Christine Quinn, to keep this "controversy" going. The faux-outrage generated by this is enough to make me reconsider and cast my primary vote for Mr. Weiner.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 21, 2013 10:42:58 AM

3. His past precludes him. I would never vote for him and I hope others in the gay community wouldn't do so either.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jun 21, 2013 11:05:59 AM

4. Non-issue.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 21, 2013 11:20:19 AM

5. After reading all of your comments I had to go to Yahoo's search engine and ask, "why do Gay men NOT like Christine Quinn?"

I kinda' get it. She turned her back on where she came from. Plus she supports the police department's tactics every time. But don't all successful Democratic politicians do that?

But Weiner has a shady past also, and I'm not talking about the weiner pictures.

Well, y'all do what y'all have to do up in New YAWK.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 21, 2013 11:43:41 AM

6. It's not a "growing controversy". Whenever you see that, there's a rival's campaign press release behind the headline. Obviously there are no real issues in this campaign, only hardball tactics. Quinn is notorious for her self-serving votes while in City Hall--such as voting herself additional terms in office and large benefit package increases, including what amounted to a retroactive pay increase, and a huge increase in "staff" that will not doubt be useful during the campaign. Weiner is notorious for oddball statements and behavior that have the strong odor of psychological impairment.

Posted by: anon | Jun 21, 2013 12:04:08 PM

7. “Homophobia is vile and destructive and something I have fought against for the entirety of my career"...except when I want homophobes to sign my petition. Then I'm cool with it.

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 21, 2013 12:12:41 PM

8. Why did Weiner tell the woman "it's okay...it's not your fault". That is the only thing that bugs me about the exchange. He did not need to publically admonish her, but he also did not need to comfort her homophobia.

At the end of the day I do think he is and has been a good ally. He would have my support over any republican. But the exchange is an unneeded reminder of vapid politicians.

Posted by: anony6 | Jun 21, 2013 12:13:45 PM

9. There are non-racist politicians who nevertheless accept support and votes from racists, thus benefiting from racism. And there are non-homophobic politicians who nevertheless accept support and votes from homophobes, thus benefiting from homophobia.

In this case, Weiner is clearly not going to turn away supporters, even if they prefer him to Quinn specifically because she's a lesbian. In other words, he's willing to compromise with homophobes to get elected, which probably means that he'd go on compromising with them in office.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jun 21, 2013 12:43:19 PM

10. I was going to comment here that this is just Towleroad's continuing attempts to endorse Quinn and was ridiculous, but I see most commenters (thankfully) agree it is ridiculous and his response was appropriate.

Quinn is gross. I understand the attraction of an openly (how open?) gay (how gay?) mayor of New York, but Quinn seems like a terrible representative. Icky, all around.

Posted by: estrange | Jun 21, 2013 12:44:19 PM

11. I really don't have any outrage over this story. He expressed to the woman politely that her comment was inappropriate. Nothing more he could do. It's not like an hour long lecture would educate someone so ignorant. Actually, I'm more outraged that I never got any pics of Anthony's weiner sent to me on Twitter!

Posted by: Ian | Jun 21, 2013 1:28:59 PM

12. Weiner has been around for a long time and he is not going any where, whether or not he wins the mayoral race. He has always been an outspoken supporter of the LGBT community. Quite frankly there is probably no one else running who has been as much of a supporter of the LGBT community.

Posted by: Derek | Jun 21, 2013 2:35:15 PM

13. He's two-faced. That may be par for the politician course, but he's also stupid enough to be caught at it.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 21, 2013 4:54:32 PM

14. This guy lost his credibility the moment he posted those pictures. His first thought and request after the "dyke" comment was that the lady sign his petition—the reproach came after. It"s all about him; selfish, self-centered… Isn't it obvious? The guy's a self-serving creep. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 21, 2013 5:15:52 PM

15. well he's right, it wasn't really her fault and she did apologize for talking like that when he addressed her hate speech. it's the fault of being raised up by bigots in a bigoted society. Prejudice is a learned behavior so he had a point in saying it's ok it's not your fault when she apologized.

Posted by: Alexander | Jun 21, 2013 5:25:16 PM

16. I don't like Quinn, even if she is "family". She's on the side of the large corporations and not the people. She has single handedly blocked a simple vote on mandatory sick pay for all workers in New York City for years. New Yorkers don't need Quinn for mayor.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 22, 2013 8:51:31 AM

17. Derrick from Philly, all "controversy" aside.

Christine Quinn is simply a lousy politician who thinks that she should be selected solely because she is a woman and a lesbian. She has absolutely NOTHING else to offer. No real programs. No specifics.

She's been Mayor Bloomberg's, um, yes-woman for nearly 12 years. She favors real estate interests and have been active in changing NYC zoning laws that have favored wealthy real estate interests at the expense of long-established neighborhoods and business districts that cater to working- and middle-class people.

She favors the odious "stop and frisk" program of the NYPD that has been used to entrap hundreds and hundreds of young black and latino men for no other reason than that they ARE black and latino.

Her legislative contributions for the betterment of life in NYC are next to nil.

In person, she has a very dismissive attitude and is part of the, shall we say, the "lipstick elite".

She has sought LGBTQ votes only when it has been in her best interests to do so.

She is a failed politician and would make a lousy mayor of NYC.

Anthony Weiner might have had a chance if he hadn't been so keen on putting his, uh, wiener out there for all to see (not that Weiner's wiener was all that bad, mind you). But, Anthony needs to give it a rest, stay in the private sector. His credibility has been compromised irrevocably.

As for the other candidates? Whew! Not much of a choice, I tell you. I had hoped that maybe Ruben Perez, Jr. (not his odious father, the notorious Ruben Perez, Sr.) might have run.

Let's face it. NYC is a one-party town with a slew of Democratic party mediocrities mucking up the primary field. This is one time one wishes there might be a decent "moderate" Republican available to run. But there isn't.

Once again, it's going to be holding one's nose and pulling the lever (in this case, probably for Bill DeBlasio).

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 22, 2013 11:48:45 AM

18. This has been massively blown out of proportion.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 23, 2013 4:32:12 AM

19. Jon Gray former San Francisco Deputy Sheriff and rapist. He is a danger to all SF gay men. Please take the time to visit: http://jongrayrapist.blogspot.com/.

Posted by: BJ | Jun 24, 2013 4:14:16 AM