ENDA | Louie Gohmert | News

BigGayDeal.com

Congressman: Gays Should Hide Sexual Orientation at Work

GOP Congressman Louie Gohmert (R-TX) thinks gays should hide their orientation at work, which shouldn't come as a surprise to those familiar with Gohmert's extremist and nutty positions.

GohmertThink Progress caught up with the Congressman at a Tea Party rally in front of the Capitol on Wednesday:

THINKPROGRESS: Where do you stand on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act?

GOHMERT: I’m not aware of exactly which one you’re talking about

THINKPROGRESS: It would protect LGBT workers from being fired due to their sexual orientation.

GOHMERT: Who wants to go talking about sexual orientation when they’re working? Good grief.

As we reported yesterday, West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller became the 52nd sponsor of ENDA:

In just the last week, three other Democratic Senators--Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Tom Carper of Delaware and Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada--have come out in favor of the bill. Reid's official support is seen as an important boost for the bill, since the majority leader rarely co-sponsors bills himself. Earlier this week, even Gabriel Gomez, the Republican candidate for the open U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts, announced his support of ENDA.

Only four Democratic Senators remain who have not endorsed ENDA: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Bill Nelson of Florida, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Tim Johnson of South Dakota. Sens. Nelson and Johnson support marriage equality; Sens. Manchin and Pryor do not.

Comments

1. Then so should heterosexuals. No pictures of your family. No pictures of your spouse or the person you are dating. No talking about your family, spouse, or the person you are dating. No wedding rings. Oh that's right, that would be a violation of their first amendment rights.

Posted by: RMc | Jun 20, 2013 3:34:04 PM

2. and in that same context, US Congressmen and women should hide their animus and discriminatory attitudes toward GLBTTQ Americans while serving in the US CONGRESS!!

Posted by: aj | Jun 20, 2013 3:43:57 PM

3. Once in a while I work in Louie's district, they are not the most forward think people over there in the piney woods. I'll apologize for Texas sending this nut to DC

Posted by: dards | Jun 20, 2013 4:10:42 PM

4. And now people are posting as me, great. And see? Kiwi couldn't understand what I wrote! What is up with that? Can you not read? Do you have comprehension issues? You have some sort of internal dialogue that you can't ignore huh?

How did you read what I wrote and come up with me being closeted? It's insane!

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 20, 2013 4:55:04 PM

5. I dunno...is Gohmert an extremist--or is he just stupid?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 20, 2013 5:39:28 PM

6. He's neither.

He's really the perfect rep for that area.

He is doing the job he was elected to do.

I see most of you failed civics.

Posted by: Pookie | Jun 20, 2013 5:42:00 PM

7. Just remember if you are seeking justice in Texas, this fool was a Texas Judge before being elected to Congress.

Posted by: Tom Carpenter | Jun 20, 2013 5:43:56 PM

8. Look at what happened to Carla Hale. She hid her sexual orientation at work, but when her mother in law died, Hale was included in the obituary. Hale didn't flaunt her personal life. Some troll found something private about her, and ratted her out.

Posted by: Andy | Jun 20, 2013 6:08:11 PM

9. actually congressmen who crazy should avoid displaying it on the floor of congress, which means old nutty louie would never be able to open his mouth again

Posted by: walter | Jun 20, 2013 6:51:05 PM

10. this man proves the need for GBLT protection in the workplace.......

Posted by: Bernie | Jun 20, 2013 7:14:50 PM

11. this man proves the need for GBLT protection in the workplace.......

Posted by: Bernie | Jun 20, 2013 7:14:50 PM

12. Don't worry, Little Kiwi, we are not afraid of anyone; we are not going back into ant closet; we are going to take down any clown who disparages us in any way, or who expresses conventional and outmoded conventions of inequality about us.

And if SCOTUS supports our rights there will be bonfires burning on every vacant lot.

BTW I've found that it's the straights who are afraid of me......they fear the entire subject of homos.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 20, 2013 7:39:39 PM

13. Better yet, Gohmert should hide his stupidity while on the job in Congress. Suggestion: Keep your mouth shut Gohmert and people may not realize that you are so stupid. However, that dumb look on your face may still give you away. Staying in the "stupid closet" may prove to be very difficult for poor Louie. He may find out that trying to hide something that is an integral part of who you are is very difficult indeed.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 20, 2013 7:56:35 PM

14. Fenrox,
    Like you are qualified to talk on gay issues? You PASSIONATELY defend the phrases "that's gay" and heterosexuals calling gay people "f*ggots" and "d*kes"....every post you make on this site is anti gay. EVERY SINGLE POST. You play the race card in the same sentence you tell gay people to not be uppity about calling out homophobia. You're the classic case of someone who feels entitled to be proud of your race, but see LGBT being proud of our identity as a threat to your demographic (and you may have sex with the same gender but YOU are not LGBT...and your horrific anti gay comments highlight that)
    Don't you dare lecture the gay community about 'flaunting' our sexuality when you flaunt your race and religion everytime you call someone a racist or promote religious superiority. Troll.

Posted by: Markin | Jun 21, 2013 1:42:30 AM

15. Heterosexual privilege.

People like this just make me hold my boyfriends hand more lovingly in public and not be shamed of my incredibly loving relationship.

Posted by: Jordan | Jun 21, 2013 1:45:25 AM

16. LOL at Fenrox attempting to call people trolls when his whole presence on this site is best summed up with the word: homophobic. You resent gay activism, fenrox, and gay activism is on the rise. Eat it up.

Posted by: Two Dads | Jun 21, 2013 1:46:35 AM

17. Nothing and I mean NOTHING irks me more than the phrase "flaunting your sexuality" right behind "shoving it down our throats" considering heterosexuals cant go a waking minute without revealing their sexuality. Observe them and see how often and how many ways they reveal being hetero.

Posted by: Glow505 | Jun 21, 2013 1:51:09 AM

18. I'll hide my sexual orientation at work when Louie exposes a scintilla of intelligence at his own place of employment.

I feel SO safe making this offer.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 21, 2013 2:09:46 AM

19. I am out at work. I refer to being gay to remind people just in case they forget, because it becomes the Liberace syndrome. I could walk in wearing a sequin suit, and people would think I was straight. (Take a deep breath...my joke merely means that once in a while people are surprised to learn that I am gay, just as I am surprised to learn they think I am straight. LOLs.) If this is flaunting it. Tough shiz.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jun 21, 2013 3:53:52 AM

20. What always strikes me is how the religious right talks about “sexual orientation” as if it were a place on the human body somewhere along the inner thigh. Suddenly allowing people to “display their sexual orientation” is tantamount to an act of public indecency to them, when in fact sexual orientation is a lens through with a certain portion of the population experiences the world. This is not saying that all gay men are girly, etc or any other stereotypes, but that all of our relationships are affected by our sexual orientation – the kinds of relationships we form with women, the kinds we form with men, the kinds we form with our family (depending on their level of acceptance). Maybe an employee can’t mention his/her child because then a coworker might inquire “I didn’t know you had a kid, you never mention your wife”
    “umm… I don’t have a wife, I’ve got a partner named David.”
    Suddenly that’s TMI for Louis Gohmert?

My guess is that he really *hasn’t* given it much thought beyond the line he knows he needs to toe. For political reasons or because it would require him to recognize that he’s not actually fundamentally better than an entire subset of the human population because he has sex with women.

Posted by: P | Jun 21, 2013 5:00:42 AM

21. The US Constitution trumps the Bible every time. No "kingdom" will come to us because we are a decided republic. No biblical "authority" shall guide us or rule us whilst we can make our own laws. Judaeism, Christianity, and Islam are all straight inventions. Monotheism, individuality, democracy, republics, and science are gay inventions. Oh, and the airplane, and they were smart enuogh to invent the parachute first. I hope this guy has a parachute to heaven, because he didn't, doesn't, and will never know which way is up.

Posted by: Richard Dey | Jun 21, 2013 5:43:30 AM

22. Only if straight people hide their disgusting orientations by taking off their wedding rings and getting rid of any family photos on their desks. How dare you flaunt your deviant lifestyle in my face!?

/end sarcasm

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 21, 2013 10:07:43 AM

23. Congressmen should hide their stupidity at work!

Posted by: billmiller | Jun 29, 2013 11:10:24 PM