Deaths | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

NJ Ice Cream Parlor, Site of Final 'Sopranos' Scene, Pays Tribute to James Gandolfini: VIDEO

Gandolfini_reserved

A New Jersey ice cream parlor where actor James Gandolfini, who died suddenly yesterday while traveling in Italy, played his final scene as Tony Soprano (and the final scene of the show), honored him yesterday with a simple gesture at the table where he sat.

Watch that scene, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Hollywood Reporter offers a few details about the actor's death:

Tom Richardson, Gandolfini’s assistant, agreed: "The family had a marvelous day together, and when he returned to the hotel Jimmy [Gandolfini] went to the bathroom and that is when something happened," Richardson said, adding the actor was still alive when the ambulance arrived.

The director of the emergency room at Rome’s Policlinico Umberto I said the hospital received the emergency call at 9 p.m. local time Wednesday and that the first of two ambulances arrived within 8 minutes. They tried to revive Gandolfini and when they were unable to do so they transported him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:40 p.m.

Gandolfini was scheduled to receive a special  prize and participate in a round table discussion about Italian-American views on cinema at the Taormina Film Festival in Sicily. He was just 51 years old.

(h/t gawker)

Comments

1. 51. By all accounts he was a great guy off-screen. Unfortunately he did have a cocaine abuse problem at some point and that does cause serious scarring to the heart and other damage. This could have played a role in his heart attack.

RIP.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 20, 2013 10:35:18 AM

2. An imposing man, both physically and talent-wise. RIP Tony.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 20, 2013 10:39:04 AM

3. It's ridiculous that fans are swarming this poor private business...and crowding out the locals.

FYI: it's high school graduation day in Bloomfield, I guess the locals will have to "skip tradition" and NOT go to Holsteins after the ceremony because the place is filled up with looky-loos

Posted by: QJ201 | Jun 20, 2013 1:14:25 PM

4. Hopefully this will cause the obese to rethink their head-in-sand approach to their health.

Posted by: anon | Jun 20, 2013 2:05:56 PM

5. I still can't believe this, especially in this day and age of statins, stints, and all kinds of other things used to prevent drop-dead heart attacks like this. It is so sad this happened, but I wonder if he was seeing his doctor regularly? I didn't go to the doctor from my 20's to my early 40's...I just don't get sick. I haven't even had the flu since 2000. But boy, am I glad my mom nagged me into seeing a doctor...high cholesterol, overweight, and I smoked. The doc told me if I kept it up, I might not see 50 considering my family history. (Grandma died at 55, Uncle M. at 44, both of drop-dead heart attacks) I started taking statins, quit smoking, and dropped 50 lbs (not all at once) But it made a huge difference in the quality of my life. I had a hot, healthy body again, just like in my 20's. If something positive comes out of this untimely and unfortunate death, let it be a wake-up call to any and all of us out there ignoring our health. Get those regular check-ups, get that blood work done. Do it before it's too late. A co-worker of mine was struck down by a stroke. He is o.k. physically, but he cannot read...for some reason, the stroke left him unable to comprehend what is written on a page...incredibly frustrating and very sad. He was 49 when the stoke occurred. Sometimes, it is WORSE to survive a stroke and exist in a vegetative state for a decade or more, than it is to drop-dead from a stroke. Make that appointment this week. Do this before it is too late. RIP, James. You were a good man who left us way too soon.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 21, 2013 4:56:16 AM

6. @anon

Bigoted much?

What ever happened to just writing R.I.P. and leaving it at that?

Posted by: fed way | Jun 21, 2013 12:19:10 PM