Immigration | Marco Rubio | News

Marco Rubio: If Immigration Bill Includes Gay Couples 'I'm Done'

Rubio

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) said he's finished with the immigration bill if it includes gay couples, The Ticket reports:

"If this bill has something in it that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I'm done," Rubio said Thursday during an interview on the Andrea Tantaros Show. "I'm off it, and I've said that repeatedly. I don't think that's going to happen and it shouldn't happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is."

Comments

1. I wonder how long I would get to keep my job if I refused to work on an issue because it was difficult? That's right, Senator, just deal with the easier stuff and call if a victory.

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 13, 2013 1:10:23 PM

2. This mixture, of hate, cowardice and laziness consistently exhibited by politicians is starting to get me down... I weep for America. I hope Hillary can bring us together and turn things around in 16'!

Posted by: cdubois | Jun 13, 2013 1:10:55 PM

3. You were "done" a long time ago, dear.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 13, 2013 1:13:38 PM

4. Rubio is just a poseur. He just jumped on the immigration bandwagon to secure his reputation in 2016. He has wet dreams about sleeping in the White House. I just do not understand how the GOP justifies their bigotry...And how gays can vote for these hateful demons.

Posted by: pedro | Jun 13, 2013 1:13:57 PM

5. How many times must we witness the childish petulance of a party, before we declare it incapable of governing, let alone representing the PEOPLE.

Posted by: maguitac | Jun 13, 2013 1:14:11 PM

6. Rubio, you are a hater, just admit it, this posturing to the religious right wing is not going to get you elected to the Presidency, so give it up, look what it did for Santorium, we do not want bigots in the White House, or in Congress for that matter. If you don't want to support the partners of immigration then you should give it up, it should be all or nothing.

Posted by: bructer | Jun 13, 2013 1:18:52 PM

7. Rubio, you are a hater, just admit it, this posturing to the religious right wing is not going to get you elected to the Presidency, so give it up, look what it did for Santorium, we do not want bigots in the White House, or in Congress for that matter. If you don't want to support the partners of immigration then you should give it up, it should be all or nothing.

Posted by: bructer | Jun 13, 2013 1:18:52 PM

8. Yet, special immigration status for Cubans is a great idea. Hypcrite.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 13, 2013 1:20:00 PM

9. The country should be done with him

Posted by: bructer | Jun 13, 2013 1:20:31 PM

10. Vote against this bill and you can kiss your Cuban ass goodbye, Rubio. It's called being between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by: David | Jun 13, 2013 1:22:03 PM

11. I agree with cdubois ... my employers would never have kept me on if I said I wouldn't do a job because I didn't "agree" with it.

But ... someone elected him and no one will get rid of him.

Posted by: Aaron Yeagle | Jun 13, 2013 1:24:45 PM

12. The GOP is a hateful, hypocritical party with Rubio as one of its modern iconic leaders. Can you imagine GOPers controlling the Senate and the White House and what they'd then do to this country? So, OK, Rubio, jump off the immigration bill and let's see what it does for your political future and that of your fellow homophobic and xenophobic haters. Go ahead, do it!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jun 13, 2013 1:34:16 PM

13. election night in 2010 I was at the Tropics hotel in Miami Beach and the big queen at the front desk was ecstatic over the results and gushed endlessly about Marco Rubio in particular even after I pointed out that Rubio and the Tea Party hated his very existence.

Posted by: Douglas | Jun 13, 2013 1:41:06 PM

14. It's always nice when one minority discriminates against another.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jun 13, 2013 1:48:06 PM

15. Marco Rubio, what a horrific, hateful, and therefore pathetic individual you are! Shame on you, dude!

Posted by: El | Jun 13, 2013 1:48:30 PM

16. Seriously, the bubble this fool lives in. As someone mentioned, if I talked publicly (and I work for a municipality) about this sort of thing, I WOULD be done...out the door on my a**. What a precious little hypocrite this Sweaty McSweatpants is. Go back to Cuba where your immigrant family came from and stop hypocritically living off their sacrifice.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jun 13, 2013 1:51:43 PM

17. As this bungler has proven time and again, he's not ready for Prime Time . . .

Posted by: Carter | Jun 13, 2013 1:53:10 PM

18. I have a birth certificate that says I was born in this country. I pay my taxes. I've never killed anyone or been to jail and because I'm gay, my right to marry the man I'm in love with gets put up for a vote? WTF??
    Yet the law allows Scott Peterson, the man who murdered his wife and unborn child, is able to get married again, WHILE IN PRISON. FTW??

Posted by: Edd | Jun 13, 2013 1:54:28 PM

19. "If this bill has something in it that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill. I'm done"

well you can't state your bigotry any clearer!

Posted by: Greg | Jun 13, 2013 2:17:19 PM

20. @Chadd: Rubio aside, people not only keep their jobs for not doing something because it is "too difficult" but get promoted! "Too difficult" can translate to "too expensive" or "we'd need an additional year to get a product out the door."

As an example, there had been attempts at hypertext systems for years. The web exists today in part because Tim Berners-Lee realized that a problem that was "too difficult" - automatically updating links when something moved - could be skirted by simply giving the user an error message. Previously, nobody realized that allowing broken links was good enough.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 13, 2013 2:23:21 PM

21. Obama, don't sign it unless it gives the same rights to all citizens.

Posted by: jleo71 | Jun 13, 2013 2:25:01 PM

22. Rubio has been looking for an 'out' on this bill from the beginning; a way to withhold support to please his T-party handlers while still pretending to have some cred with hispanics. This is no surprise.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jun 13, 2013 2:30:23 PM

23. This is just one reason why Congress now has a 10% approval rating, the lowest of all time. Next election, let's vote them all out!

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 13, 2013 2:30:27 PM

24. Rubio is a smarmy little worm who will NEVER be elected president. And does he set off any else's gaydar as badly as he does mine? f'n hypocrite.

Posted by: Gestly | Jun 13, 2013 2:36:02 PM

25. I am so embarrassed that this fucktard is my senator.

Posted by: Jeff Selbst | Jun 13, 2013 2:36:32 PM