Jimmy Kimmel | News | Pageants

Miss Utah Marissa Powell Mocks Her Disastrous 'Miss USA' Response: VIDEO

Powell

Miss Utah Marissa Powell made headlines this week by offering a painful response at the Miss USA pageant to a question from judge Nene Leakes about the income disparity between men and women. Consequently, more people probably recognize Powell than the pageant's winner, Erin Brady of Connecticut.

Last night Powell appeared on Jimmy Kimmel to mock herself over what happened.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. good save. Instead of getting upset or pointing fingers, she's owning it. I don't know anything about her but... good for her!

Posted by: JimmyD | Jun 19, 2013 10:14:55 AM

2. Anytime you are able to be on in jokes that are being made about you, I'm a fan. I mean, it's basically how Tori Spelling resurrected her career (Trick/So NoTorious anyone?). Her answer sucked, but her response in the aftermath has been 100x more impressive than that idiot from South Carolina or the even bigger moron from California before her...

Posted by: Jack | Jun 19, 2013 10:17:52 AM

3. Note to future pageant queens: Screw up your answer.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 19, 2013 10:22:19 AM

4. ... Or pose in Playboy. (e.g. Vanessa Williams)

Posted by: J. Alan | Jun 19, 2013 10:36:39 AM

5. Well, it seems that she is smarter than her answer suggested. At least she is able to have a good laugh at her mess

Posted by: jjose712 | Jun 19, 2013 10:40:07 AM

6. She is a stunning looking woman with a great attitude.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 19, 2013 11:56:49 AM

7. Very true Andrew, and with an enchanting smile.

Posted by: trees | Jun 19, 2013 12:10:00 PM

8. so sweet, i think i just turned straight.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Jun 19, 2013 12:46:47 PM

9. I think I just fell in love.....Kudos to her!

Posted by: WCT | Jun 19, 2013 1:08:44 PM

10. Yes, not stupid this one. She's getting her 15 min. and perhaps a bit more. She's beautiful, charming and so completely at ease, great laugh, and the ability to laugh at herself, that's worth its weight in gold. I have a feeling we may be hearing more from this one, although I hope not in the singing department.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 19, 2013 2:32:46 PM

11. she messed up on her response but she's appearing on kimmel and no one's really aware of who miss usa is.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 19, 2013 3:51:21 PM

12. stunning. i agree - smarter than her answer, and did I mention stunning?

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 19, 2013 8:40:14 PM

13. Next. Please, just make it stop. Enough.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jun 19, 2013 10:57:01 PM

14. She is gorgeous! And funny! I was rooting for her. I think she just zoned out.

That pageant is so screwy. It is all fluff and then all of a sudden they ask these real serious, political questions. Totally nonsequeter. It's like "Let's stump the beauty queen!"

Posted by: Andy | Jun 19, 2013 11:35:54 PM

15. I believe I can use this to teach my English students the idiom "adding insult to injury."

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 20, 2013 12:45:22 AM

16. She really is beautiful. I do think the winner was the rightful winner though and I remember thinking they picked the right girl but Utah was beautiful too. Glad she has a fun loving personality!

Posted by: T.J | Jun 20, 2013 1:44:37 AM

17. Sorry but she could totally talk me into it.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 20, 2013 6:00:17 PM