John Cameron Mitchell | Neil Patrick Harris | New York | News | Theatre | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Neil Patrick Harris to Star in Broadway Premiere of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'

Neil Patrick Harris is set to take on the title role in John Cameron Mitchell's 1998 musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch when it premieres on Broadway in Spring 2014, Playbill reports:

Tonys_nph"I am simultaneously ecstatic and terrified to be stepping into Hedwig's heels," Harris said in a statement. "It is truly a once-in-a-lifetime role and I can't wait to begin the journey."

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a musical comedy about a fictional rock 'n' roll band fronted by a transgender singer. The production began Off Off-Broadway at Westbeth and then ran over two years at the Jane Street Theatre beginning in February 1998. The musical won the Outer Critics Circle Award for Best Off-Broadway Musical, and both John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask won Obies. Hedwig and the Angry Inch won a 1998 New York Magazine Award and Entertainment Weekly's "Soundtrack of the Year" Award.

David Binder and Jayne Baron Sherman are producing. 101 Productions, Ltd are the executive producers.

Comments

1. Really?

Posted by: TONEZ | Jun 17, 2013 4:12:10 PM

2. NPH will rock the sh*t out of this! The soundtrack is epic

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 17, 2013 4:14:46 PM

3. Yes!!

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 17, 2013 4:14:52 PM

4. NPH as the above-marquee name means this show will get a LOT of packed houses. meaning tonnes of people will experience the moving, groundbreaking work of art that is Hedwig.

killer tunes. heart and humour. and an incisive message about finding and love who you are.

i'm just jazzed that more people are going to discover this show, now.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 17, 2013 4:15:38 PM

5. I really don't know about this. I only see this being extremely over-produced. The show is best when done on a shoestring budget in a back alley theater with a garage band mentality. Maybe this renewed interest will spur a Bluray release of the movie. Now that I would look forward.

Posted by: Bollux | Jun 17, 2013 4:20:25 PM

6. Can't wait to se NPH do THIS!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 17, 2013 4:28:23 PM

7. Neil had already said that the Harris-Burkta's were relocating to NYC as soon as filming on How I Met Your Mother wraps the final episode.

Posted by: DickG | Jun 17, 2013 4:34:34 PM

8. Jinx Monsoon should take over the lead after NPH's run.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jun 17, 2013 4:35:50 PM

9. I don't know....

Either NPH will really show how adaptable he is or this will be a big ole mess. He's very talented but his public persona has so far been very clean-cut and fairly mainstream. At first glance it seems to me like hiring Sandra Dee to play Linda Lovelace!

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 17, 2013 4:41:45 PM

10. I love NPH and I love Hedwig. Then why do I not love this combination?

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 17, 2013 5:15:20 PM

11. There actually are limits to what NPH can do. NPH hosting Tony's? Very good job (though I'd like to see an older, more dignified generation, share hosting duties.) NPH as Bobby in Company- interesting and not a bad choice. Not great but not bad. Hedwig? No. Just no.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Jun 17, 2013 5:25:22 PM

12. Ya, this role requires a true voice -- I really don't see this working.

Posted by: mike | Jun 17, 2013 5:29:30 PM

13. I don't care for this one bit! Love NPH, but love Hedwig more, and I just can't see him embodying the spirit of a half-way transsexual rock star from East Berlin. Of course, he may surprise me as he is pretty damn talented. This is def worth a quick vacay to NYC to see regardless!

Posted by: cdubois | Jun 17, 2013 5:30:58 PM

14. ...and on this note, when is the Hedwig movie sequel coming out? I heard JCM discussing reprising the role at the beginning of the year and have not heard much else since...

Posted by: cdubois | Jun 17, 2013 5:31:53 PM

15. This might sound like a contradiction, but Neil Patrick Harris is too "Broadway" for the part. Hedwig is a rocker. I can't imagine him singing "Exquisite Corpse".

And I don't think he can look as good as John Cameron Mitchell did in drag.

Posted by: Chriso | Jun 17, 2013 5:59:04 PM

16. Yeah. I have the same reservations. Love the both - but separately. He might just be able to pull it off, though. Props to him if he can.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 17, 2013 6:17:21 PM

17. Bad decision. NPH doesn't have the voice or style or musical talent for this role. it'll probably be a mess.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jun 17, 2013 6:52:09 PM

18. Unfortunately the thing I see most on this site is how hateful gay men are to other successful gay men. NPH is one of the most successful gay men living out and proud there and I know it gets under your skin. Get over it.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 17, 2013 7:48:00 PM

19. @Frank, what you say is *sometimes* the truth but that isn't what ANYONE has said here. All anyone has said is that while they really like NPH and think he's talented, that they're not sure he's right for THIS role. Hopefully he will prove all those (including me) with doubts wrong. I really hope he does.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 17, 2013 8:13:38 PM

20. Ugh. Bad idea. He doesn't need to be playing a tranny. Hopefully this project will fail, as Broadway plays often do, and he can get back to doing what he does best.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 17, 2013 8:23:47 PM

21. A lot of people are guaranteed not to like the Broadwayized version. That said, Harris is a showman and would probably bite the heads off kittens is that were really required.

Posted by: melvin | Jun 17, 2013 8:24:44 PM

22. i have a feeling he'll be shining like the brightest star. a transmission, on the midnight radio.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 17, 2013 8:28:45 PM

23. I love peanut butter and I love pickles but that doesn't mean I want a peanut butter and pickle sandwich.

Posted by: testington | Jun 17, 2013 8:41:26 PM

24. Daniel Craig this fall. NPH next spring. Imma go broke running to New York in the name of the theater.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jun 17, 2013 8:52:43 PM

25. What?! Seriously?? No. No. No. Nothing against Mr. Harris. I'm sure he's up to the task but I just can't see him doing this epic, wonderful play. Dude, I just feel so...desecrated. I mean, come on!! This is Hedwig we're talking about! Come to think of it. I wouldn't want to see him play Frank n furter either.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jun 17, 2013 9:25:51 PM