Athlete Ally | Brendon Ayanbadejo | Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | News | NFL | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NFL Players Association Selling 'LGBT Pride' T-Shirts

Pride_kluwe

The NFL Players Association has launched a line of 'LGBT Pride' t-shirts to benefit (all proceeds) the anti-homophobia group Athlete Ally. Supporters have the option of adding the jersey number and name of Brendon Ayanbadejo, Connor Barwin, Scott Fujita, Steve Gleason, Chris Gocong, Chris Kluwe, Donte' Stallworth, Terrell Suggs or Eric Winston to the shirts, which sell for $24.99.

Said Oakland Raiders punter Chris Kluwe: “I am extremely proud to be a part of this collaboration between Athlete Ally and the NFLPA’s One Team Shop to raise awareness both of Pride month and the issue of tolerance and respect within the NFL itself. As players, we are role models to a wide variety of people, and this is a great way to send a message of empathy to those who love and watch the game. Also, I'm pretty stoked that people can buy something with my number on it.”

Comments

1. This is fantastic.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 12, 2013 2:14:30 PM

2. Are you f-ing kidding me?

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 12, 2013 2:16:37 PM

3. Lordy, the times we live in!

Thanks, NFL players!

Posted by: K in VA | Jun 12, 2013 2:25:49 PM

4. How cool is this! Awesome, I think I'm going to buy a couple :)

Never would have imagined something like this was possible a few years ago. This is a sign of progress and change. Beautiful shirts, beautiful message.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 12, 2013 2:56:25 PM

5. Very cool! I'll get one.

Posted by: Albert | Jun 12, 2013 2:57:31 PM

6. Impressive, I really like the design too! Tried to buy the Kluwe one but they don't deliver outside the States/Canada/Puerto Rico. Think I'll get it delivered to a friend..

Posted by: Cburg | Jun 12, 2013 3:12:06 PM

7. hell may freeze over yet.

Posted by: dixichuk | Jun 12, 2013 3:22:28 PM

8. Cool shirts and a very nice gesture, but it will be a great day when I can buy one of these with the name and number of an out gay player.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 12, 2013 3:43:57 PM

9. They're actually pretty slick.

If I was a sports-kinda-guy I'd totally fork over $25.

Way to Disco, NFL!

Posted by: skincub | Jun 12, 2013 3:48:00 PM

10. They look cool!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jun 12, 2013 4:07:34 PM

11. If they can't even mention the word "gay", what's the point? Seems more homophobic than gay-friendly.

Posted by: jason | Jun 12, 2013 4:17:28 PM

12. @jason: How anyone could view this as homophobic is beyond me. If you include the "gay" on the shirt, you exclude the LBT part of the community.

The NFL Players Shop website clearly labels these as "LGBT Pride Vintage T-Shirts". And, the shirts aren't hidden under multiple menus. The shirts are currently displayed on the home page of the store.

Posted by: alex | Jun 12, 2013 5:15:53 PM

13. I'm not a sports fan but these look pretty freakin' cool!

Posted by: sparks | Jun 12, 2013 5:43:08 PM

14. Speaking of homophobes, Jason (rick, david hearne, all the same guy) regularly posts homophobic, anti-femme, anti-woman and racist things on this cite all the time. Why we continue to give him any attention is beyond me. I wish Andy would change the commenting so that he could be banned.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 12, 2013 5:59:32 PM

15. I think I've been transported to an alternate universe...the NFL is selling LGBT supportive t-shirts? And they look GREAT?! Do NOT wake me up!

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 12, 2013 7:18:27 PM

16. It's not the NFL, it's the NFLPA. These shirts aren't sold by the NFL officially, the NFL hasn't endorsed them. The NFLPA is a different organization within the NFL umbrella.

Just to clarify some above comments. Doesn't take away from how awesome this is.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 12, 2013 9:10:30 PM

17. What will One Million Shrews do on Minday nights?

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 12, 2013 10:20:58 PM

18. I want a Kerry Rhodes one. And a Troy Aikman one. And definitely a Kordell Stewart one. And a Deion Sanders one in honor of how much he ran like a queen in heels on the field. I want the option to choose the player and the player's number.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 13, 2013 1:26:09 AM

19. Still no openly gay players.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Jun 13, 2013 2:37:22 AM

20. The poster Zeta on this site is a bigot....please pass it on....enough with pandering to religious trolls who pretend to be our friend on this site.

In a recent thread, Zeta stated "gays coming out are drama queens who want to shove their sexuality down people's throats"

In a thread last week, Zeta said:

"which is it? Is marriage about love or about contracts?

If it's about love, then no one should tell someone they can't marry the grove they've bonded with, they take of, they own, or which they are going to pledge to own and take care of.

If it's about contracts, then ditto.

I don't see the problem. Should homosexuals?" while going on and on about how gay marriage can lead to animals and humans marrying.

ZETA IS A TROLL!

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 12, 2013 12:38:34 PM

21. Love this. We gays are so prominent in society now. Loving this shirt too!

Posted by: Klien | Jul 12, 2013 12:38:59 PM