Out NY Lawmakers Blast Anthony Weiner for Response to Voter Who Called Christine Quinn a ‘Dyke’

Out NY Assembloywoman Deborah Glick and out NY state Senator Brad Hoylman have released a joint statement blasting mayorla candidate Anthony Weiner for his response to a voter who referred to Christine Quinn as a "dyke".

WeinerWeiner's conversation with the voter, according to the Washington Post:

The Twitter story isn’t going away; the Times inadvertently posted an article titled “For Women in Weiner Scandal, Indignity Lingers” before it was ready for publication, which was immediately taken down. And there are increasingly critical examinations of his scant legislative record. Yet no one in the race has the political capacity to relate to people like Weiner, who makes it a point to relate to everyone.

“You a registered Democrat?” he asked an elderly woman wheeling a shopping cart by him.

“I am,” she said. “And I’m not voting for uh, what’s her name? The dyke.”

“Okay. I just need you to sign the petition to get me on the ballot,” said Weiner, who then noticed the incredulous reaction of a reporter and added, “and you really shouldn’t talk that way about people.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” the woman said.

“It’s okay,” Weiner responded. “It’s not your fault.”

Hoylman and Glick released a statement in response:

“We are appalled by the account in the Washington Post of Anthony Weiner’s unacceptable response to a prospective voter’s homophobic, misogynistic slur in reference to Christine Quinn. According to the reporter, Weiner at first ignored the slur. Then, after noticing the reporter, Weiner told the voter she ‘really shouldn’t talk that way about people.’  Finally, after the voter apologized, Weiner said, ‘It’s okay. It’s not your fault.’

“Weiner’s response to this blatant display of homophobia is completely inappropriate and extremely alarming. There is nothing ‘okay’ about homophobia and it’s never ‘okay’ to condone bias-based slurs or hate speech of any kind.
 The voter’s use of the term demonstrates the challenges women candidates and lesbians in particular face, and Weiner’s failure to swiftly and firmly condemn her language demonstrates his lack of moral courage.

“We demand an immediate apology from Mr. Weiner on behalf of LGBT and women New Yorkers.”

Comments

1. jamal49 says

Quinn’s propaganda machine is now in full swing. I have another term to describe her but won’t use it here. She’s a piss-poor candidate and I am telling everyone I know who is a registered Democrat not to vote for her. That’s the problem with NYC being a one-party town. ALL the Democratic candidates suck a big wiener (including Anthony Weiner).

2. Truthiness says

please. get over yourselves Hoylman & Glick.

many people have an inappropriate grandparent and have to walk the thin line of correcting them or not even bothering because they’re too old to learn any differently.

not to mention he did do the right thing – just not fast enough for the reporter? whatever.

this is a non issue.

oh, and did I mention, as a New Yorker – he’s got my vote.

3. Howard says

Much ado about nothing. We have more important things to deal with than trying to stop old people from being homophobic. Time will take care of that problem.

4. OddBet says

I’m confused as to what they wanted him to do.

Call her out in front of everyone to publicly shame her? Refuse to let her place her bigoted signature on his petition? Stop what he was doing and launch into a seminar on tolerance?

Sure, he was probably just trying to avoid conflict and quickly get a signature, but what he ended up doing is as far as anyone should take such a situation. Demanding an apology to “women New Yorkers” is patently ridiculous.

5. reader says

This isn’t the first time he’s been silent in the company of anti-gay bigots. If he’s a leader, he should lead, not just stay quiet when people are using slurs against his opponent.

6. Feral says

Extra! Extra! Random old lady uses the word dyke! Sky is blue! Grass is green! Read all about it!

7. David Hearne says

But if she had said redneck, gringo, or cracker we wouldn’t even know about it.

8. Michael Bedwell says

He WASN’T “silent”—he explicitly told her the word wasn’t appropriate, and there’s no reason to believe that he would have taken the same kind of pity he did on an old woman to someone younger and likely to have no excuse for not knowing better.

As I don’t live in NYC, I’ve purposely avoided any comment anywhere by gays lambasting Quinn because I’m not in a position to know whether they’re true or not. BUT if this is the absurd length her supporters will go to try to stop Weiner then maybe the stories about her are true. “The fish rots from the top down.” [And, NO, that’s NOT meant to be a pun.]

9. reader says

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault.” That’s not exactly a strong condemnation of someone using a slur against the lesbian in the race. Remember, this all happened on the record in front of a reporter. And it isn’t the first time he’s ignored this kind of language on the trail. It’s a pattern.

10. says

Not a bad way to handle an awkward situation. He did say she shouldn’t say that, and sort of treated her like a child. Of course, there are similarities between the elderly and children. “It’s not your fault” implies “You don’t know any better.” What was he supposed to do, yell at and shame an old woman in a public setting? That would have been a much worse response for him, but not for Quinn, who appears to have minions responding here as well.

11. QJ201 says

And how would have Weiner dealt with a racist old lady that referred to another candidate as a N*gg*r or Sp*c?

12. ger says

If he had ignored an old woman using the word f@g I’m going to guess those here willing to give him a pass would be calling for his head.

13. Bellah says

is dyke a slur? i know the dykes on bikes will be in full swing this weekend leading parades.

14. MateoM says

It’s like a Diversity Outrage relay.

First Thompson plays the race card on Quinn. Then Quinn drops the rainbow parlay on Weiner. Cue accusations of anti-Semitism by Weiner in 3, 2, 1…..

Guess: Against whom will it be?

15. Mary says

In fairness, it should be noted that Anthony Weiner supported gay marriage in 2008, years before many other prominent Democrats did, including President Obama and the Clintons.

16. Derrick in Philly says

@MateoM: Well, you’ve got the dago married to the ex-dyke, or the Chinaman, or Weiner could turn on the Republicans and attack the feta-cheese smellin’ Greek supermarket dude.

This ain’t your granddaddy’s mayoral race fo’sho’!

17. Ebony Prancer says

Derrick, do we really need that kind of language in this forum? I’m outraged that you of all people would resort to ethnic slurs and racial stereotypes!

18. Caliban says

Meh. This is just fake outrage “gotcha” bullsh!t. How exactly would they have handled it, kicked the old lady in the cooch and get her arrested for a hate crime? And since she said she was voting for “the dyke” it doesn’t even seem to be a matter of prejudice as much as un-PC language. Old people use old words, get over it. I had to correct my 82 year old mom for using “colored” recently, and she voted for the 1st time in decades for Obama.

19. NE1 says

well he did say something. i dunno. as long as he isn’t actually homophobic i wouldn’t take this as a slight.

20. Charles says

The more Democratic politicians in New York oppose Anthony Weiner, the stronger the case for his election will be. In terms of this specific issue, his statement was totally reasonable under the circumstances, as this was an old woman caught in a generation of intolerance. He was firm without being cruel. Further, she apologized. Mr. Weiner would make a good mayor for the majority of New Yorkers.

21. Vlad says

Yeah. Let’s kill the old lady! Let’s kill Weiner! This is the biggest deal ever! He should have been totally prepared for this situation. He should have responded with a disquisition on diversity and tolerance. Let’s start an intensive Internet campaign in response to a random remark by a random old lady on the street and a less-than-perfect response to said random remark. Let’s make this a national news story. Better yet, why don’t we turn this into an international incident. The United Nations should get involved. Maybe send in NATO troops to restored order?

22. Rich says

As a native New Yorker (who moved West 50 years ago), Weiner’s response strikes me as utterly reasonable given where he was talking and to whom.

23. 24play says

So . . . no mention in this blog post that both Glick and Hoylman endorsed Quinn ages ago?

It’s kind of a fact readers should be made aware of.

24. reader says

Public figures with media in tow have a heightened responsibility in these circumstances. He’s not some bystander who heard an ignorant comment. He was in a discussion with a voter and in front of a reporter. “It’s not your fault,” is simply not good enough. It would have been super easy for him to reply, “eh, I don’t think her sexual orientation matters, and that word is offensive.”

25. Jon Vaughn says

I am appalled at Weiner’s handling of this situation, but should we be surprised a “man” like Weiner would handle it this way? We should probably just let his actions slide and vote him into Gracie Mansion. That will help the city get better right? Uh, NO! He should have been a little more forward about the inappropriateness of the situation and the derogatory term. I understand there are people from different backgrounds and of different age ranges that aren’t going to change easily or at all. Trust me, I know…A. I’m a gay man from Ohio and…B. my dad is almost 80 years old. I suppose I should I have let it slide when my dad, in 2008 said, “I don’t think this is racist, but Jon, I just couldn’t bring myself to vote for a black man.” I informed him that, actually Dad, that is the definition of racism. Had the woman used the “N” word to describe Bill Thompson as the candidate she wasn’t going to vote for, the entire country would be in an uproar right now! What makes is so different about the lesbian equal to the “N” word? Nothing I say.

(Note: my dad did vote for Obama in 2012, so apparently older people do change and do listen when we give them some tough love and education.)

26. Eric says

I used to respect Weiner. I would have voted for him in the last Mayoral. I’m glad I didn’t have the chance. It seems for every step forward he takes moving on from that creepy sexting scandal, he takes two steps back. The recent New York Times piece about his record in congress made me second guess his ability to be mayor and now this. I thought he would add some fresh ideas and excitement to the race, instead he is a side show and worse now obviously more focused on getting a petition signature from a homophobic voter than walking away without it.

I had my doubts about Christine Quinn, but she’s definitely got my vote after learning about Weiner’s inability to speak up for a group that has been taunted and persecuted for decades.

27. DaphneSky says

I’m actually not surprised with Weiner’s response, or lack of response here. He doesn’t seem like a leader at all to me, and obviously it shows a lack of character to not immediately correct someone uses that type of language, grandparent or not.

28. Poppy says

If the reporter managed to have an “incredulous” and quick response, why couldn’t the politician? It’s a politician’s job to turn challenging situations into opportunities to promote his values and political platform. Weiner clearly fell short here.

29. hornlongjohn says

We have a Dyke March in San Francisco, has Dyke become a bad word? Besides, he told her not to talk like that. Who knows what he really meant by it’s not your fault? He could have finished it with, -because you were raised improperly, or because you are a total moron. This is so silly.

30. anon says

Oh, hardball NYC election politics! Weiner’s probably not on his A-game here and working in Quinn’s home turf, with all the advantages she’s racked up over the years will make his job nearly impossible. Any gotch! style news coming out of this election should be taken with a grain of salt. Her GLBT support is pretty solid, but otherwise a bit brittle, since she’s been fairly divisive. Her main weakness is how she handles the Irish-Catholic vote.

31. Lauren Gilbert says

Mr. Weiner clearly just wanted to get the woman’s signature. Who cares if she uses derogatory language. Just get that signature. Shows the quality of his character that he didn’t even react to the woman’s remark until prompted. Lame. I wonder how he would have felt if she told him she wasn’t voting for a k-ke…

32. jonathan says

The truth hurts Christine. Go away and get out of my city, you morally reprehensible c*** d*** b**** f***head.

33. says

Please, it’s not like he used the term, and it wasn’t Weiner’s responsibility to language police. His response was reasonable, and aren’t there bigger issues at stake in the race? If not, there should be.

34. jonathan says

Great slogan: I’m not a vindictive, dishonest turd like the dyke, vote for me.

35. dean says

urgh. shame on Hoylman and Glick for being so so transparent in looking for a way to attack Weiner. if you have a legitimate gripe, fine: let’s hear it. these kinds of protests only serve to diminish both Hoylman and Glick, not Wiener. honestly, i expect so much more from the two of them, especially Hoylman and find myself sincerely disappointed in their shameless attempt to curry favor with Quinn.

36. andrew says

“Dyke” So what? We had a parade here in Phila last weekend and the lesbians called their parade “Dykes on bikes” Worry about real issues like women earning less than men for doing the same jobs.

37. walter says

the problem with this due to recent rash of hate crimes in new york weiner should have taken the time to say something about the woman’s comment but didn’t do anything until he saw the reporters expression. why doesn’t he stick to something he is good tweeting pictures of his package.

38. Billy Crytical says

Here come the heteros and hetero water carriers who will tell us that instults to or about gay people doesn’t matter.

39. Jose carrabbas Tu Quiero Taco Bell Feliciano says

Miss Ebony Prancer shut your Snow Queen A$$ up!