News | Paula Deen

BigGayDeal.com

Paula Deen Releases Two Statements Apologizing for Racist Remarks, Removes One: VIDEO

Deen

Paula Deen released two videos this afternoon apologizing for racist remarks she made in a deposition (transcript) for a discrimination lawsuit brought by her former employee Lisa Jackson in which she admitted to using the N-word, making racist and anti-semitic jokes, and having an interest in hiring black waiters to look like "slaves" for a "southern style plantation wedding." The videos came after a day in which she failed to show up for a segment on the Today show with Matt Lauer.

She has now been dropped by the Food Network.

In the deposition she is asked to explain whether she uses jokes in a mean way:

Lawyer: What about jokes, if somebody is telling a joke that's got --
Deen: It's just what they are, they're jokes.
Lawyer: Okay. Would you consider those to be using the N word in a mean way?

Deen: That's -- that's kind of hard. Most -- most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target -- I don't know. I didn't make up the jokes, I don't know. I can't -- I don't know.
Lawyer: Okay.
Deen: They usually target, though a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know, I just don't know. I can't, myself, determine what offends another person.

P_deenOne of Deen's apology videos was removed from YouTube shortly after being posted, after it reportedly received hundreds of critical comments. It has been mirrored by other sites and reposted.

Says Deen in that video:

"I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done. I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable."

In the second, longer video, Deen adds:

”I’ve spent the best part of 24 years to help myself and others. Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter."

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I would have been more surprised if she didn't use such language. With all the sugar, butter and flour this woman has whipped up over the years, she poops as white as the pointy sheets in the back of her closet.

Posted by: Bollux | Jun 21, 2013 6:42:01 PM

2. She say N and gets dumped. Pro Players say F and keep their jobs. All hate is not reacted to equally.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jun 21, 2013 6:44:04 PM

3. I wonder if the American Music Awards will be rap and hip hop free.

They use niggaz all the time.

And fvck...

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 21, 2013 6:47:07 PM

4. People make mistakes, people learn. She's apologized. Let's move on. Paula Deen should not be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness. I defy you to find a southern lady of her age that hasn't used that term.

Posted by: Justin | Jun 21, 2013 7:01:31 PM

5. I defy you to a black teenager that doesn't use that term.

Check out the mix tape.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 21, 2013 7:06:45 PM

6. I like Paula Deen She is a great southern style chef and she is mostly funny. I don't think she is a racist, she admits saying that word like I be heard and I face with some kind of racism prejedice here I live temporary and can't get some waitressing jobs n others coz I feel the prejufudice too (am an American Asian). I felt to some extent but in terms of Paula I don't think she is a racist she hires African Americans too in her restaurants. Well that's my opinion God bless You Paula!

Posted by: Anne | Jun 21, 2013 7:10:43 PM

7. What's the BFD people!
    Let's get down to the REAL reason behind this lawsuit: Lisa wants MONEY.

Posted by: rcndc | Jun 21, 2013 7:46:18 PM

8. @Justin

You threw a bunch of sentences together there, but none make a cohesive argument.

If she learned so easily she should've learned by her age before she landed her ass in court.

The "alter of political correctness" doesn't exist. It's like the "gay agenda".

It doesn't matter how many Southern women of her age have "used the term". Are you seriously saying that if lots of people do something it's OK?

Posted by: Eric | Jun 21, 2013 8:00:24 PM

9. You guys are harsh! Everyone is standing in judgement but most of us know or are related to some saucy old people who swear like truck drives, tell dirty jokes and/or drink like sailors on leave. It doesn't mean you can accurately judge them at first listen. Most people are deeper than that. Just because she uses words that offends others doesn't mean she hates those people the words offends. I know people who are condemning her and I look at them in amazement as they have told racist jokes or posted offensive pics on Facebook. Only they didn't have to admit it on TV. No, she shouldn't be using these hurtful words, but I think she has acknowledged that. No need to stone her death, literally or metaphorically. speaking.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Jun 21, 2013 8:08:47 PM

10. I just remember her from an episode of Kathy Griffin's show where I first saw her over the top personality. She was very funny and very warm, yet very loud and sarcastic. Throughout the show she would make fun of her sons and clearly gay "assistant" (or whatever his title was). Yet you could tell she loved and accepted them. Throughout the show I thought her assistant was a member of the family the way she acted toward him until I finally realized he wasn't. She may act or say one thing but I could tell where her heart was.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Jun 21, 2013 8:16:44 PM

11. @Caliban: I've lived in several Southern states (FL, TN, and KY), and I've never met a single Southerner that says "y'all" as many times as she does. She's as fake as those super-white veneers and creepy blue contacts.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 21, 2013 8:36:15 PM

12. I've lived in several Southern states (FL, TN, and KY), and I've never met a single Southerner that says "y'all" as many times as she does. She's as fake as those super-white veneers and creepy blue contacts.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 21, 2013 8:36:15 PM

@FuryOfFirestorm

I'm from Texas, and I can assure you there ARE people that talk just like her, everyday.. because that is what they "are" ..

Posted by: theother lee | Jun 21, 2013 9:33:33 PM

13. If Deen was a racist, then why would she have hired the black woman that's suing her?

Of course she has said the nword. Of course she has heard or told ist jokes. Who hasn't?

When I ride my bike the only people yelling rude comments are black people. They are by and large the photo next to the nword in a dictionary.

Everyone is racist. Another person's opinions of your racial group is really none of your business, it's how they treat you which matters. I have employed black people in the past and probably will in the future. This despite the fact that I find black people to be disproportionately rude and inconsiderate.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 21, 2013 11:14:37 PM

14. Does the "N" word stand for Nazis? I'm confused.

Posted by: Gbe | Jun 21, 2013 11:26:51 PM

15. Uh...To Joey Y, I've never used the n-word, EVER. It's a disgusting horrible word that makes me cringe. And yes, she's a cook, not a diplomat, but does that mean she should be rewarded for her horrible behavior and be allowed to keep an incredibly lucrative television deal? Actions have consequences and she's finding that out now. As a human being, I feel sorry for her, but it's right that there should be some consequences for her bigotry...

Posted by: Dave | Jun 21, 2013 11:31:21 PM

16. To all of the many commenters here who say everyone uses the N word, tells racist jokes etc. that is just embarrassingly wrong. There is a huge swathe of society that finds that kind of behavior repulsive. You have a choice, retreat to the nineteenth century and swap racist jokes with your racist friends, or join civilization.

Posted by: Brian1 | Jun 22, 2013 12:09:42 AM

17. Even Olivia Pope can'thelp Paula Dean now. She's dug herself a nice deep hole and no amount of good southern cooking is going to save her now.

Posted by: Todd | Jun 22, 2013 12:33:47 AM

18. This is just so stupid....if everyone was fired for something they once said that was wrong or stupid, there would be 100% unemployment.
    But, I suppose that is One Way to get rid of all the politicians.
    This just takes PC to the Extreme. We've all said things we regret in our lives...so what?!
    ^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Jun 22, 2013 12:48:51 AM

19. NORTHERN CAUCASIAN-LIBERALS LOVE TO RIDICULE SOUTHERN CAUCASIANS IN THIS TYPE OF SITUATION, WHILE REFUSING TO UNDERSTAND SOUTHERN CULTURE. Paula Deen HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG. SOUTHERN NEGROES UNDERSTAND PEOPLE LIKE, Ms. Deen. THIS IS A FAKE SCANDAL DEVISED BY RACE-BAITERS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 22, 2013 3:37:08 AM

20. "Justin" [21 JUNE; 7:01:31 PM] - YOU ARE ON POINT!

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 22, 2013 3:48:01 AM

21. @David Hearne Ummmmm, I believe that the woman that suing Paula Deen is white. Chew on that one for a bit. Also, after reading these comments, I'm left wondering about the kind of people some of you are keeping company with. I mean you would really feel comfortable listening to someone wax nostalgic about having n*&&ers dressed in white suits catering their wedding like blacks in a Shirley Temple movie? (her words) Well I guess I have the answer to why some gay men feel so comfortable openly spouting off borderline racist comments out at the bars.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 22, 2013 4:05:10 AM

22. @CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONSTOPHER ALLEN HORTON The fact that you used the term "Southern Negros" leads me to believe that you aren't one, which also leads me to believe that you are not qualified to speak with any authority on what "Negros" believe southern or otherwise.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 22, 2013 4:12:58 AM

23. @allbeefpatty As far as that double standard argument goes, I think this guy sums it up the best.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 22, 2013 4:27:32 AM

24. @Frank,

His name is Christopher Allen Horton. He types the same garbage all over the internet, so many times that he's partially copied over his name. You will soon get the privilege of an all caps diatribe from him, which will make no sense. And he will also say, wrongly, that I must be a young person because only young people note his fondness for capitals.

Posted by: Brian1 | Jun 22, 2013 4:34:18 AM

25. If they didn't fire her for poisoning people for years, it's hard to believe they would fire her for a few bad words.

Posted by: RobNYNY1957 | Jun 22, 2013 5:17:04 AM