Music | Music Video | News | Robyn | Snoop Dogg

Robyn Does Some Gender-Bending in Snoop Dogg Collaboration: VIDEO

Snoop_robyn

Swedish pop star Robyn today dropped a video for "U Should Know Better", a three-year-old track featuring Snoop Dogg from her Body Talk Pt. 2 album, and the video features a pair of gender-flipped doubles for the two singers.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What. A. GODDESS.

Posted by: Dan Zam | Jun 21, 2013 7:07:21 PM

2. Gonna have to agree with Mr. Zam.

Posted by: Mikey | Jun 21, 2013 7:13:25 PM

3. How about supporting openly gay or bisexual men in the music industry? Supporting Madonna or Robyn or Beyonce or Lady Gaga does NOT increase the visibility of gay or bi male performers. In fact, it impedes their visibility.

There is a complete lack of visibility of openly gay or bi men in the commercial music charts right now. It's as if the music charts were constructed by Bryan Fischer or Maggie Gallagher of NOM. Andy Towle needs to pick up on this.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 21, 2013 7:37:20 PM

4. Jason, shut up. ... and as for this video, I thought that WAS Robyn! Love this entire album!

Posted by: Reality | Jun 21, 2013 7:43:21 PM

5. LOVE you Robyn.
    She totally nailed the little boy/girl boxing.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 21, 2013 7:44:46 PM

6. It's Snoop Lion now.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 21, 2013 7:50:32 PM

7. Reality,

Avoiding the issue, are you? Have I revealed some ugly truths about the music industry, have I ? A bit peeved that I've exposed the tendency of gay men to go for females rather than males, are you?

Posted by: Jason | Jun 21, 2013 7:53:08 PM

8. No Rick
    We don't have a barrier to not like an artist simply because they are female or hetero. We like what we like in music. We're not afraid of women. We're not afraid of gender benders either.
    Jus sos ya know ... Andy had a article about Ricky Martins new music not more than a few days ago.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 21, 2013 8:07:21 PM

9. Gay guys in America have become wimps who are subject to the control of women. You don't want to offend them. You suck up to them to make up for the fact you've rejected them sexually.

That's why you go for females who mime (cue Britney) over real male talent.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 21, 2013 8:18:02 PM

10. @Reality
    That IS Robyn as a little boy and Snopp as a woman in the video.
    Watch it again.

Damn Snoop, proud of ya brother. Keep growing.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 21, 2013 8:30:23 PM

11. Yeah, it's really tough for a man to get ahead in the music business, Jason.

Posted by: ger | Jun 21, 2013 9:16:44 PM

12. Jason you're not enlightening anyone.. When gay artists make great music they succeed.. To suggest they are being blocked by gay and lesbian listeners simply because they are gay is so beyond hyperbolic it's laughable..

Posted by: jackJake | Jun 21, 2013 10:18:34 PM

13. I knew this thread would be dominated by Jason before I even clicked it.

Consistent troll is consistent.

Posted by: ripper | Jun 21, 2013 10:47:18 PM

14. Well I've asked you to name me one openly gay or bisexual male act in the itunes top 100 singles chart in the USA. So far, none of you have answered the question. Cat got your tongue?

Memo to gay guys: dancing to Britney or Robyn isn't going to solve the problem of male-directed homophobia in the music biz. I know a lot of you don't care, either.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 21, 2013 10:58:26 PM

15. Well as long as Jason knows that none of us care about his self loathing rants then I guess he isn't completely crazy.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 21, 2013 11:59:26 PM

16. Jason, I couldn't agree more. I can't stand that every morning I wake up and watch the news and see nary a gay person anchoring my morning news or morning chat shows; usually its mostly women. Or that my cat is annoyingly heterosexual and I have to eat cereal that has no gay nutrition to it whatsoever. Or that my post man is actually a woman- probably straight, ugh. Pisses me off. Why? Because gays are sooo underrepresented in this world and could probably be so much better at everything than straight people. We're better at everything, right? Not to say that I don't respect women; I do! If not only because I withhold the joys they could have with my spicy chorizo sausage. Someday I hope to wake up, open my gay curtains and say, "I'm here, everyone's queer, cause otherwise its not worth it!"

Posted by: JamesinMA | Jun 22, 2013 12:54:23 AM

17. JamesinMA,

There is no such thing as a gay curtain.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 22, 2013 1:09:17 AM

18. Jason is like a kind of reverse fun. Just real him to feel grateful for your own healthier happier state of mind.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 22, 2013 1:31:56 AM

19. Just "read" him...

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 22, 2013 1:32:25 AM

20. Fantastic video!

Posted by: Pauly | Jun 22, 2013 4:44:31 PM

21. This what the director of the video said about the concept. I'm sure the bitter queens of this site will still find something to complain about.

--------------------------

Robyn herself conceptualized the video with Decida, her longtime choreographer who was also responsible for the moves seen in "Dancing On My Own."

Decida wrote a press release to accompany the release, saying:

"Hopefully the "U Should Know Better" video sparks some laughs, but also thoughts on what identity really is. Would you be the same person in another context? Does society have certain expectations of a person based on class, gender, colour, sexual orientation, religious beliefs and cultural background? How much do these expectations then affect your so called self? I kind of like the idea that we grow up in a transnational pop cultural mosh pit were you can choose who you want to be instead. All of this is what our 2FACED1 project is about, to know identity is dependent on context and therefore is something fluid."

---------------