Drones | Food and Drink | News

The Future of Pizza Delivery, By Drone? — VIDEO

Dominos

Of course, if you don't tip well, it may shoot you down.

NBC News reports:

The delivery was masterminded by a T + Biscuits, an English creative agency that was hired by Domino's to test prototypes. "We're looking at making flying pizzas a possibility," Tom Hatton, Master Brewer and founder of T + Biscuits, told NBC News.

A pizza delivering drone smells deliciously similar to the fabled TacoCopter — a taco delivery app which, to the Internet's disappointment, ended up being just a concept design — but Hatton insists the "DomiCopter" is the real deal. "We're serious about it," he said.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Unfortunately, Domino's is horribly anti-gay......

Not as bad as Chick-Fil-Hate, but still a force for evil in the universe.

Eat some pizza somewhere else....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Jun 4, 2013 1:50:04 PM

2. Cool, no tip necessary.

Posted by: Craig | Jun 4, 2013 2:02:47 PM

3. If we get rid of the pizza delivery boys what will the Towleroad trolls do for a living.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jun 4, 2013 2:09:03 PM

4. While Domino’s does not directly contribute to anti-gay activity, founder Tom Monaghan has contributed heavily to initiatives and organizations that oppose the rights of GLBTs. He is a co-founder of the Thomas More Law Center, which is advocating in court to restrict access to domestic partner benefits, and in 2001 financed a ballot proposal in Ypsilanti, MI to remove sexual orientation from that city’s non-discrimination ordinance. David Brandon, the current CEO, also opposes gay marriage.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Jun 4, 2013 2:16:27 PM

5. Domino's sucks politically. And their pizza is shite. Don't buy Domino's!

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 4, 2013 2:23:20 PM

6. Haven't touched a Domino's in over twenty years and this won't make me budge. There's better pizza with none of the offense out there.

Posted by: Marc C | Jun 4, 2013 2:30:47 PM

7. this will never work. Many of these drones will be stolen by terrorists, reprogrammed, loaded with explosives and used to kill unsuspecting innocent people. I never buy Dominos pizza by the way.

Posted by: Gordon | Jun 4, 2013 3:01:46 PM

8. Yes, but in the real world where rain, snow, storms and high winds will ground the drone. So delivery only on sunny days? Pizza delivery boys need not to worry.

Posted by: RITA | Jun 4, 2013 3:02:37 PM

9. I grew up in Chicago. I wouldn't be caught dead eating Domino's.

Posted by: Mikey | Jun 4, 2013 3:33:17 PM

10. I can just imagine the air (as far as one can see) crowded with all manner of drones (friendly-retail, deadly-spy, etc.)...like big gnats...everywhere you turn! Hysterically funny, and yet, deeply terrifying!

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 4, 2013 3:54:25 PM

11. Next, drones will replace storks delivering babies!

Posted by: anon | Jun 4, 2013 3:58:23 PM

12. I didn't know about Domino's anti gay policies. Glad I do now. No more Domino's for me and that will be easy to do.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 4, 2013 4:12:50 PM

13. Better they drop Pizza's on us the missiles.

Posted by: bructer | Jun 4, 2013 4:21:09 PM

14. If this even becomes “a thing” without being regulated, I can see remote control thingies bumping on each other and everything around in no time. What about bad weather? The cost will be too high I guess.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Jun 4, 2013 5:32:21 PM

15. According to this:

the founder (Monaghan) was anti-gay but has not been with the company for fifteen years. Domino's says they have two out gay VPs and sponsored a gay pride event in St Louis in 2012.

Aside from nasty unhealthy food, why should gays boycott Domino's today? How are they worse for gays or liberal causes than Pizza Hut or Papa John's or Little Caesar's?

Posted by: SC David | Jun 4, 2013 7:07:49 PM

16. Good idea if the prices drop too.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 4, 2013 9:08:07 PM

17. If I shoot it down over my property I claim full salvage rights to the wreckage. That means I'm eating the pizza (after picking-out the shot pellets) and keeping whatever is left of the drone.

Hint: Use steel pellet shot shells intended for waterfowl so you don't get lead poisoning.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 4, 2013 11:06:59 PM

18. @TonyJazz, Pretty much every major pizza chain is anti-gay, same with Taco Bell and I think McDonalds too.

Posted by: Yaoi | Jun 5, 2013 3:38:25 AM

19. Anastasia, you know entirely too much about what shotgun shell goes best with pizza.

Posted by: Marc C | Jun 5, 2013 3:43:10 AM

20. @Marc C -- I'm from Texas, so I know what shotgun shell to use with everything.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 5, 2013 8:30:53 AM

21. Domino's Sucks and how much did they pay Andy Towle to advertise the products of this hateful corporation.
    As if there weren't enough ads on this blog.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 5, 2013 1:28:02 PM