Alec Baldwin | Anderson Cooper | Gay Slurs | Howard Stern | News

Alec Baldwin Goes After Anderson Cooper For Labeling His 'Toxic Queen' Twitter Rant As Homophobic: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 1.23.15 PM

On Tuesday, Alec Baldwin stopped by The Howard Stern Show to discuss, among other things, his Twitter rant last month against a Daily Mail reporter in which he characterized the reporter as a 'toxic little queen' and called on his followers to 'straighten out this f*cking little bitch.'

While on the subject, Baldwin lashed out at Anderson Cooper for posting the following tweet in the wake of the controversy:

"Why does #AlecBaldwin get a pass when he uses gay slurs? If a conservative talked of beating up a "queen" they would be vilified."

Said Baldwin:

In an earlier article we reported on, Baldwin attempted to downplay accusations that his rant was homophobic, saying:

"The idea of me calling this guy a 'queen' and that being something that people thought is homophobic...a queen to me has a different meaning. It's somebody who's just above. It doesn't have any necessarily sexual connotations. To me a queen...I know women that act queeny, I know men that are straight that act queeny, and I know gay men that act queeny. It doesn't have to be a definite sexual connotation, or a homophobic connotation. To me those are people who think the rules don't apply to them."

Andy pointed out that 'queen' appears to be one of Baldwin's more popular slurs. In 2011, he made a few headlines with a similar Twitter rant, although that one was directed at an 'uptight queen' Starbucks barista named Jay with an 'attitude problem.'

Check out a portion of Baldwin's interview with Howard Stern (jump to 0:28 for the Anderson Cooper segment), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Much ado about nothing.

It was a slip, let it go. Baldwin is probably just fine with gays.

Who among us has not used the word "queen" as an invective meant to hurt? Does this mean we can't be catty from now on?

Bigger fish to fry, seriously.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 24, 2013 2:57:46 PM

2. It was a homophobic rant. By denying it, he shows how homophobic he really is; and he is a supposed ally. I think this shows what straight people are actually like. There tolerance is very thin in deed. Just scratch the surface and you will see how ugly they are.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jul 24, 2013 2:59:22 PM

3. The fact that his response to this was to insult the gay man who called him out is really telling about his character. His use of queen didnt bother mr half as much before reading this bullsh*t.

Posted by: JMC | Jul 24, 2013 3:03:10 PM

4. Um, time to take a chill pill, Alec, you're just making things worse and sounding stupider by the minute. Time for a chat with your shrink?

Posted by: Onnyjay | Jul 24, 2013 3:05:48 PM

5. The guy has been an ally, and i think it went to his head, he thinks he gets a pass because he is ALEC FREAKING BALDWIN...(sarcasm) I don't think this shows anything about straight allies but a lot about celebrities perception of reality..

Posted by: Randyowen | Jul 24, 2013 3:09:02 PM

6. Meh, who cares. Go deal with REAL haters and leave Alec alone. I promise to give him extra lashings when I see him.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 24, 2013 3:09:29 PM

7. "Anderson Cooper has a job to do. And that job is to try to reinforce his credibility in the gay community after the fact that you couldn't get him out of the closet for 10 years with a canister of tear gas. Now he's the sheriff. Now he's running around writing everybody a ticket!"

BINGO!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jul 24, 2013 3:10:09 PM

8. I was never overly offended by Alec's initial rant. Not the best choice of words, but calling someone a "toxic queen" just doesn't ruffle my feathers, even coming from a straight person.

But I am dying at his rant about Anderson Cooper. Again, should he have said it? Definitely not. But to me it rings completely TRUE and spot on.

On that note... zip your lips Alec. No need to bring more negative attention on yourself.

Posted by: WHATWHAT | Jul 24, 2013 3:12:30 PM

9. Simply because Alec Baldwin is a gay ally in the political sense doesn't mean that he isn't homophobic; the two are not mutually exclusive.

I gave him a pass for the "uptight queen" comment.

I'm not willing to give him a pass for this and then you want to compound it by going after Anderson Cooper?

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 24, 2013 3:13:54 PM

10. Anderson Cooper is a queen. Of course he'd be offended. But that queen can get in these guts any day.

Posted by: Ian | Jul 24, 2013 3:20:15 PM

11. Don't mess with Anderson, buddy. This Alic Baldwin fellow is way out of line. He just dug himself deeper. Why attack someone who once faced a glass ceiling /closet dilemma?! No. Alic, you strike me as someone who had everything handed to you, and was just lucky enough to face no real life challenges. Umm...oh wait, that IS you, Alec. You should be ashamed of these outbursts, bud. Not pretty.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 24, 2013 3:21:08 PM

12. Seems like every little word is homophobic nowadays.

Posted by: James | Jul 24, 2013 3:22:02 PM

13. I listened to the whole interview yesterday when it was live. Alec is correct, now that Anderson is out he thinks he speaks with moral authority.
    Anderson didn't come out until he needed press for his failing daytime talk show. Alec has been an ally for our community for years.

He was spot on in his view of Cooper.

Posted by: Steven | Jul 24, 2013 3:23:12 PM

14. Oh for god's sake, grow the hell up, people. He's a long time gay ally, and should be able to use the same terms we do, and sorry, but Anderson Cooper is the LAST person to wave his little finger at someone else.

Posted by: JY | Jul 24, 2013 3:23:12 PM

15. Alec Baldwin said, "a queen to me has a different meaning"
    What if he said FAG?!? What if he claimed Fag had a different meaning? We don't accept it from others, why are we accepting it from him?

Posted by: Jack | Jul 24, 2013 3:24:40 PM

16. Also, just_a_guy, you really want to cry about Anderson Cooper having to "face a glass closet/ceiling?" Give me a break! He's in showbiz, and his mother is Gloria Vanderbilt! He's the heir to a $200m fortune, and never had to worry about a damn thing in his whole life.

Posted by: JY | Jul 24, 2013 3:25:40 PM

17. OH DAMN! Alec completely called out Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 24, 2013 3:28:00 PM

18. What's wrong with Towleroad today, first Weiner now Baldwin... ok, I can't tell you how many times I've heard other gays call each other queens...fat queen, old queen, bitter queen, sad queen, drunk queen, tina queen, drugged out queen, lard ass queen, etc.... although I have to admit I've never heard "toxic" queen... but whatever. If the current politically correct lexicon is to avoid the usage of the word queen or it's joining with a pejorative adjective then I suggest we police our own community first. I find it hard to believe that Anderson Cooper has never called someone a queen with a negative connotation. Nothing to see here folks, move along... jeezzzzzzzz....

Posted by: Gerry | Jul 24, 2013 3:28:10 PM

19. Alec is digging a deeper hole for himself. The longer he keeps this story alive, the worse he sounds. He should just have issued a very simple apology and never discussed it again.

Attacking Anderson Cooper doesn't make himself look any better.
    I don't think that Alec has a gay problem. I think he has an anger management problem.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jul 24, 2013 3:29:36 PM

20. True Kev, but someone needed to call out Cooper.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 24, 2013 3:30:03 PM

21. @JY: touché. But I'll always be loyal Anderson fan. Alec Baldwin, nah; EARN it. :-)

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 24, 2013 3:30:45 PM

22. JUST_A_GUY you really should know what your talking about before you comment. Alec comes from a working class family. The first acting job he got he took the money and put a roof on his mother's house.

Anderson is Gloria Vanderbilt's son who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Your comment about Alec having everything handed to him is laughable.

Posted by: Steven | Jul 24, 2013 3:32:23 PM

23. Alec is one of those heterosexuals who hang around gay men and within the LGBT community so much, he basically sees himself as one of us. You know what I mean, the straights who are "in the know" so they feel absolved from basically any responsibility regarding anything they say. And thus, he speaks the same way many gay men I'm sure he knows speaks.

I don't disagree about what he said regarding Anderson, at the same time, out or not, Anderson has always been gay (obviously) and thus a homophobic quip (at least in Anderson's eyes) will get under his skin and he has the right to express that. Really, I'm mixed on how I feel. We all know damn well if someone like.....Bill O'Reilly said what Alec Baldwin did, there would be outrage. So consistency is needed.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jul 24, 2013 3:36:12 PM

24. Alec strikes again! But I must admit that I really laughed when he said, "You couldn't get Anderson Cooper out of the closet for ten years with a canister of tear gas!"
    Whether that's true or false, it is funny.
    Alec is just being Alec - you're not going to get him to change.
    He does more harm to himself than anyone else.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 24, 2013 3:39:15 PM

25. @Rowan

Agreed.

But Baldwin is not the one to do that, particularly in light of these homophobic comments.

I pretty much agree with GR8GUYCA that Baldwin has a severe anger management problem and going off on Cooper (and who didn't know that a) Coop was gay and b) why Coop would stay in the closet...agree or disagree with his reason)

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 24, 2013 3:39:17 PM