Music | Music Video | News | Steve Grand

All-American Boy: VIDEO

Grand

New from Steve Grand. Here's hoping your Fourth of July crush gives you a case of fireworks and not one of blue balls and heartbreak.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Aab

Comments

1. Depressing much?

Posted by: Michael | Jul 3, 2013 9:13:40 AM

2. Wow. I like good LGBT artists. They come so rare though. I'd buy his album...

Posted by: Mark | Jul 3, 2013 9:13:44 AM

3. Great song, but the video..feh. Do we really need another narrative about the "unobtainable straight guy"? Would have liked the video better if it was -- if you'll forgive the phrase -- a straight up love story between two gay men.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 3, 2013 9:17:06 AM

4. Hmmm. I don't like the song much (don't hate it either for that matter) but kind of like the idea of gay love songs that are every bit as cheesy as hetero love songs, kitsch equality.

Federal recognition of gay marriages AND our own Michael Bolton? We've finally arrived!

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 3, 2013 9:25:57 AM

5. They say that the only difference between a gay man and a straight man is a bottle of whiskey...guess that's not true.

Posted by: John | Jul 3, 2013 9:33:29 AM

6. Woof

Posted by: Gast | Jul 3, 2013 9:35:35 AM

7. Interesting video. I don't think it's about the "unobtainable straight guy," I think it's a bit more ambiguous. I think it's about a guy who's not afraid to be affectionate, even sexual, with another man without getting all wrapped up in gender identity. No, the singer doesn't get a ltr with his object d'amour but, it seems, he gets a brief tryst. Sometimes, that's all you need.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jul 3, 2013 9:37:18 AM

8. i'd wish him luck but with that face and a**, i don't think he needs it. Blue balls to match my eyes, but happy 4th, y'all.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Jul 3, 2013 9:45:51 AM

9. I like the song- found myself tapping my foot to it. Steve Grand has a decent voice, and is definitely easy on the eyes. I could personally empathize with the bittersweet theme of the video. Unrequited love is tough.

Posted by: Eddie | Jul 3, 2013 9:46:21 AM

10. Never heard of him before...but...I like the song..and the video is hot!

Posted by: ceebee | Jul 3, 2013 9:47:05 AM

11. Great song, Steve, loved it. It makes me want to grab my husband and do a romantic shadow two-step.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jul 3, 2013 9:54:46 AM

12. Is the "All American Boy" in the video played by ex-Fratman Taylor?

Posted by: David | Jul 3, 2013 10:03:40 AM

13. Good song. He's gorgeous, too. The guy crush looks like a younger, smoother Scott Caan, from the homoerotic TV show Hawaii Five O.

Posted by: bravo | Jul 3, 2013 10:10:41 AM

14. Is this gay country-western?

Posted by: will | Jul 3, 2013 10:12:47 AM

15. LOL @AndyTowle
    Blue balls and heartbreak.

You fall in love with who you fall in love with, straight or not. No boyfriend but acceptance. Wonder if Steve took this from a personal experience?

Posted by: JONES | Jul 3, 2013 10:15:35 AM

16. What Mark said. Do it gay or don't do it at all.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 3, 2013 10:22:35 AM

17. Wow...I'm pretty sure this guy read my journal.

Posted by: Ian | Jul 3, 2013 10:31:15 AM

18. This is he first I've heard of Steve Grand but the he's got a good voice and the song's quality is in the league of some of those American Idol winners' commercisl hits. Both the lyrics and video are original.
    But so far there are only 484 views on YouTube as I post this comment (I toggled over to my YouTube app to watch it so I could make it 485).

Update: In the two minutes, I've been typing (at 10:49 am ET)it's gone up to 517 views.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 3, 2013 10:49:46 AM

19. Great Video. Great Song. It was a heart breaker. The straight guy was cool about it and they remained friends. That is the way it should be.

Hell, straight guys (somewhat innocently like in the video) kiss girls all the time... often the girl is not interested. That does not always warrant a brutal response. I like the tone of the video and song. Cheers!

We all have crushes on straight buddies and co-workers unfortunately we do not get a chance to show our affections in the real world.

Posted by: Max | Jul 3, 2013 11:01:10 AM

20. I thought this was just terrific. Sure I wish he'd ended up with the guy, but I can relate to it this way also. It didn't have a sad ending to me because the straight guy didn't reject the friendship over it.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 3, 2013 11:15:26 AM

21. Whether the "unattainable straight guy" is a tired narrative or not, this video speaks to the very real experience of countless gay teenage boys, especially here in the flyover states. Who among us didn't spend most of our teen years tragically in love with our straight best friends? Very well done! Its like seeing a better looking version of my own high-school years!

Posted by: Josh | Jul 3, 2013 11:18:02 AM

22. Sad story . . . but could be an ad for a Whiskey company.

Posted by: Alan | Jul 3, 2013 11:30:15 AM

23. http://stevegrand.bandcamp.com/

LOVE this boy. I'm Buying.

Posted by: JONES | Jul 3, 2013 11:38:53 AM

24. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Posted by: Marc | Jul 3, 2013 11:41:45 AM