Big Brother | News

All of Big Brother's Racism and Homophobia in One Video: WATCH

Spencer

A Big Brother 15 bigotry supercut. That video I posted earlier of the excerpts CBS chose to air on the version broadcast in prime time was just the tip of the iceberg. All of this is taken from the live internet feeds.

Homophobia begins around 7:00.

Watch (warning: language), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I never made it through the first season of this show and I can't believe it's still popular. Just another one of those "reality" shows which is rigged to bring out the worst in everyone. Just don't get it. I'd rather swallow a handful of needles.

Posted by: MickleSt | Jul 8, 2013 12:25:13 PM

2. What's the surprise here? Throw a bunch of trashy people together and this is what you get.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 8, 2013 12:38:05 PM

3. This is very disturbing. Very sad that these young people are so filled with such ugliness. The racist, homophobic, sexist and intolerant comments are mind blowing! I have a feeling they are going to be in for a wide awakening when they leave the BB house!

Posted by: Erma | Jul 8, 2013 12:42:57 PM

4. whew! glad i know that bigotry has been overcome in america, or i might have gotten the wrong impression.

thank goodness faux news is around to make us realize the real victims of hate are rich, white, straight, christian men.

seriously, the shocker here is these bigots know they are being recorded 24/7, streamed live online, and archived for reference, but they still feel comfortable behaving this way - it just comes naturally. what disgusting people.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 8, 2013 12:45:41 PM

5. Who cares? That show is so stupid only morons watch it. Why would anyone be surprised? The guy pictured looks like Bear week at Provincetown.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jul 8, 2013 12:50:07 PM

6. Wow, how awful! This must be great entertainment for members of the KKK. All I can think of doing is informing the advertisers that this show reflects poorly on the products and services they are trying to sell and that I will not buy their products because of their association with this show.

Posted by: Nigel | Jul 8, 2013 12:50:55 PM

7. Andy, I am just testing your censor here. Can I say the word f*g (since I am a gay man)? In a "hey, bitches" kind of way. Hey, f*gs! On the other BB thread, somebody said "f*g", like queer, had been reclaimed, and is okay to use now BUT ONLY BY GAY PEOPLE WITH A POSITIVE INFLECTION IN THEIR VOCAL TONE.

Posted by: will | Jul 8, 2013 12:59:41 PM

8. I'm coming out as a "moron" because I've watched every episode of Big Brother (I'm dictating this to my carer because I'm too illiterate to type).

This has happened in previous years and the neck-in-the-sand response from CBS is actually what's most shocking about the whole thing. The racism, sexism and homophobia from mostly young, poorly educated people - depressing, but expected. I would have hoped CBS would handle it better.

Either - the producers should improve the screening process, so bigots don't get the chance to be on the show and air their ignorance on the livefeeds.... or the producers should incorporate the bigotry into the actual tv programs, to instigate a debate in America regarding the everyday abuse that non-straight white people have to put up with. Particularly as this year we're supposed to vote for the "best player" who gets a special advantage in the game - how can we do that if certain players are alienating others due to their intolerance, and we're not being shown it.

But that's just a moron's point of view. And I guess as nobody clever is watching, it's not that important. After all, morons don't go on to physically assault anyone. Oh... wait.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Jul 8, 2013 1:23:18 PM

9. This clip illustrates something I take for granted: the first things children learn are the prejudices of their society; such prejudices remain strong until sufficient life experience has contradicted them. Until then, individuals use those prejudices to validate their positions within society. This group is obviously in the initial stages of organizing, choosing up sides, deciding on the hierarchies they'll use later. Ugliness? Yes. But probably also a fair representation of the situation in our country at large, right down to the hushed use of pejoratives and the embarrassed use of bigotry. I'll bet the later episodes show these attitudes submerged but active as sub-groups interact to determine who gets kicked out or not.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jul 8, 2013 1:33:16 PM

10. @betty treacle, cbs started the process of airing some of the offensive comments last night, but they fell short imho, focusing on aaryn. i suspect production is trying to paint her as this season's villain.

i know they have limited airtime, but by only focusing on aaryn, and ignoring ginamarie, spencer, jeremy, and kaitlin, the bigotry looks to be an isolated issue. this youtube video proves it isn't.

Posted by: northalabama | Jul 8, 2013 1:45:17 PM

11. No real desire to watch this clip. Most the people that are on this show are pretty much attention whores who have nothing else better to do with their lives, other than to make themselves 'popular' by being ugly and hateful individuals.
    Also, not all reality shows are based on reality, so I question whether this is all or mostly scripted.

Posted by: ChadSF | Jul 8, 2013 2:02:57 PM

12. I was never comfortable with the reclamation of "queer"...now I know why.

Posted by: drumstick | Jul 8, 2013 2:04:45 PM

13. Sorry, Betty, but if you watch that dumbass show then maybe you really ARE a moron. It's painfully stupid and dull.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jul 8, 2013 2:20:42 PM

14. I have never watched this show but that video is disgusting. These people are gross!

Posted by: mikep | Jul 8, 2013 3:53:51 PM

15. these people disgust me!

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jul 8, 2013 4:51:16 PM

16. Lesbians make the best sandwiches?

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 8, 2013 5:20:41 PM

17. Gee! Maybe the KKK and Aryan Brotherhood have some job ops for these DOLTS.

Posted by: alec | Jul 8, 2013 5:29:02 PM

18. Why would anyone waste their time watching these idiots?

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 8, 2013 5:29:34 PM

19. Thank you to you or whoever put together that "supercut" --it's even worse than I had thought. What a gem Spencer is . . Also especially illuminating that Amanda was used by CBS to nobly chastise Aaryn's comments, but seems to be pretty bad herself.

Posted by: Serenak8k | Jul 8, 2013 5:55:18 PM

20. I'm over it. I use to like the show. These bunch of morons have just thrown me off the game. Writing CBS as well. I'll show them queers.....

Posted by: John Simpson | Jul 8, 2013 7:40:08 PM

21. What is really sad is that this is typical for reality TV. When people watch these shows over and over they become immune to what is and isn't socially appropriate. My 12 year old niece picks up this stuff and thinks its funny and nothing is wrong. She has no idea. If a reality show doesn't have several racial slurs/homophobic remarks and doesn't have the word F@ck thrown in 20 times, there is something very wrong with it.

Posted by: tiko | Jul 8, 2013 9:01:15 PM

22. cancel this season and start again

Posted by: lili | Jul 8, 2013 9:53:06 PM

23. PRETTY AWFUL & DISGUSTING. CBS SHOULD CANCEL THE SHOW FOR THE SEASON IMMEDIATELY. VERY INAPPROPRIATE. I WILL NEVER WATCH BB AGAIN.

Posted by: Danny T | Jul 9, 2013 12:18:06 AM

24. How is it possible that people watch these repulsive, degraded, loathsome, vulgar wretches and think that it's entertainment? Can their lives really be that empty?

Posted by: Jim | Jul 9, 2013 12:55:14 AM

25. Mind numbingly dull people. Incredibly boring talk. No actual conversations. None of them are physically attractive due to their lack of spirituality, sophistication, and refinement. (And I know car mechanics - not just wealthy people - who posses all of those qualities wonderfully.)

If I had to be locked up with those losers I'd have to either shoot myself or shoot them.

Some of the language is harsh and ugly - the kind I'd expect the "bad" kids in high school would use. And how old are these people?

But honestly, most of the language here doesn't offend me much. And some of the excerpts are so innocuous I think some of us need to step back a bit. If we don't, we'll weaken the outrage over what is really is offensive here.

I hope this becomes a teachable moment for them. They've got something coming, and perhaps it's a teachable moment for all of us. I've said b!tch (my mother vociferously objects - maybe she's right.)

But, at least in my world, using F@g is never ok, and always offensive. I don't live in a city, but unlike the above poster's experience, we here have NOT reclaimed the word. There's no need to use it, unless you want to express your internalized homophobia, immaturity, insecurity and hate.

Posted by: trg | Jul 9, 2013 1:53:09 AM