Big Brother | Julie Chen | News | Reality TV

Julie Chen Says She is 'Offended, Hurt' by Racism, Homophobia on 'Big Brother': VIDEO

Chen

On yesterday's episode of The Talk, Big Brother host Julie Chen discussed the racist, homophobic, sexist remarks that contestants on this year's show have been making.

Watch The Talk clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Chen:

Gries"When I first found out that Aaryn, who is a 22-year-old girl, made anti-gay, anti-black, and anti-Asian comments, I have to be honest, you know...the Asian ones hit me the most. I heard about her describing Asians as 'squinty-eyed' and 'go make a bowl of rice.' She said that about Helen, who is Chinese and in the house. It stung. I took it personally. I'm a human being. And the really sad part was, it took me back to the 70's when I was growing up in Queens and when I was 7 years old getting bullied, being called a 'chink', and people pulling their eyes. But it took me back so many years, and I thought to myself, 'Wow, I haven’t heard comments like that' —  year is 2013. And then I felt ignorant. There are still people in the country who feel that way and act that way? Yes there is, yes there is. And afterwards, it just made me sad because she’s 22 and she’s college educated."

Watch a supercut of all the bigoted remarks HERE.

Chen says that CBS aired the remarks because it is now driving a story:

"CBS and Big Brother showed it because it is now driving a story. It is now affecting how the other players want to see her gone. You know, if it didn’t drive story, and it didn’t have a dynamic on what it is to the elements of the game, it maybe, you can’t just put it in there and say, 'Judge her, everybody.' It has to have to do with the game and the rules of the game...She and the other houseguests have no idea that it has made national headlines."

Tmz_chenTMZ caught up with Chen as well, asking her how she felt about the remarks:

"Personally I was offended. I was offended by all the comments - the anti-gay, the anti-black, but especially the anti-Asian ones for obvious reasons. I think she's young. I'm hopeful that when she gets out, she reads the headlines and that 'll force her to change the way she thinks."

TMZ also asked if Aaryn's modeling agency was right to fire her. Responded Chen:

"I don't know anything about the modeling world. I don't know if she's that famous enough that people will associate her face with those comments."

Watch both The Talk and TMZ clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Meanwhile, Spencer Clawson's mom insist he's not a bigot. Spencer has praised Hitler and called the gay contestant "Kermit the fag". Spencer's mom insists his bigotry is inspired by peer pressure:

"Spencer really is a great guy. This is not a guy that’s a bigot or a racist. And he’s not that way at home. He's a great guy...If you're in a group, you go along with the group talk and that is what is happening with him...This is a reality show. The purpose of the show is scheming behind each other's backs."

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

TMZ also caught up with Chen:

Comments

1. @Sam - Really? Pretty much everyone eats rice! Her comment was insulting and I'm willing to bet that you've made a few yourself without care or concern. Would it have been ok if a Native American contestant said to a Caucasian contestant. Go steal someones land" Because we all know the history of America. It was founded by proven bullies, thieves rapists, murderers and racists." I mean History will back this up, so does it hold true for you or your family? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Posted by: David Chen | Jul 9, 2013 2:51:42 PM

2. She should be hurt and offended by that hairdo.

Posted by: rhett | Jul 9, 2013 3:32:02 PM

3. DAMN that drag queen is fishy

Oh wait she was born a woman?

Posted by: MaddM@ | Jul 9, 2013 4:13:54 PM

4. Julie Chen was "surprised" oh thats right she isnt living in the real world where as a woman of color who is percieved to be gay, who is overweight who is lightskinned and percieved to be white and is married to a black man sees and hears and experiences bigotry every day of my life

Posted by: Bellah | Jul 9, 2013 4:38:59 PM

5. Yeah, it's pretty outlandish she's more affected by a rice comment than that of one wishing another would be a victim and killed via a hate crime.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 9, 2013 5:16:50 PM

6. My best friends are a married same-sex couple and they have a six year old son. We were out to dinner one night and a table of tourists close enough snickered loudly over the fact that we were gay and made a brutal fag remark aimed at the boy. That threw my friend out of his chair hopping mad. The guy was furious. He lit into the women who made the fag remark and the place went silent expecting a full physical fight to break out by the other three men accompanying the women.

The four were smug and sat speechless looking around and seeing the disdain of the other patrons. "Sorry, she didn't mean it the way it came out..." said one of the guys but that didn't stop my friend and his tirade went on even longer. Everyone had put down their glasses, knives and forks in anticipation and a few low voices were telling them they should go. Finally the hostess came over and asked the four to leave.

The heart-breaking part was look on the face of their son, whom I consider a nephew. I knew his Dads could deal with it but the little boy's eyes, even at 6, were on the brink of tears. He was afraid for his parents.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jul 9, 2013 7:28:23 PM

7. I'm black and to this day I have relatives that will not put a full course meal on a table that doesn't include rice.

and yes, that includes breakfast.

And my personal favorite is rice for breakfast( with biscuits, eggs, and salmon croquettes).

Just an FYI.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Jul 9, 2013 8:34:22 PM

8. I have to admit that once I'm again I'm shocked. Not by the clip but by the posters here.

1. Julie Chen is married to the president of CBS I don't think she gets to make programing decisions.

2. If you were to hear all of the anti- Asian, Black and Gay comments it would have taken the whole segment.

3. She's Asian so the Asian comments are going to hit home more the same way White Gays tend to think racist comments are ok because (add your excuse)

4. What's wrong with us. We want everyone to stand up for us and our rights, but I'm sorry let's take a look at ourselves and see if we're being good friends to other minorities.

Posted by: dpbfeb | Jul 9, 2013 8:35:53 PM

9. Thankfully that other clip came up because they didn't show everything. It wasn't just that girl, there were others saying disgusting things. And it wasn't just homophobic and racist comments, there was also misogynistic ones too.

I think it's foul that CBS is just using this to jack up the ratings. Imagine what the backlash will be if one of the racist/homophobic/misogynistic people actually win the show and all that prize money?

Posted by: daws | Jul 9, 2013 8:40:08 PM

10. These people are playing for money and like all rags to riches stories we want the good people to win. People are being rewarded for essentially being who they are. We don't want to see people who are racist, bigoted or otherwise unworthy to win.

Posted by: Armando | Jul 9, 2013 8:56:04 PM

11. Are you people really that thick? I'm sure Julie Chen found all of the bigoted comments offensive, but of course the derogatory remarks towards Asians is going to hit closer to home. Duh. She's Asian. Don't sit up here and pretend that bigotry and epithets that specifically target people of your ethnic group aren't especially personal for you.

Posted by: Chance | Jul 9, 2013 11:16:57 PM

12. Personally I thought the most telling comment was when Julie Chen said that the reason they decided to include the footage on the TV telecast (as opposed to in the 24-hour live feed) was because it was impacting the contestants in their game play, i.e. they might want to vote out this Aaryn girl because she has been so vocal and rude in her comments--regardless of what the other people have said, maybe no one feels as riled up by them as they do with her. This isn't the first time that someone on Big Brother has been caught saying something dumb but this may be the first time they showed it. A few years back, one of the contestants went on and on about how gay people shouldn't be allowed to be teachers, I'm sure it was covered on here, but it didn't make the live show because it wasn't in line with the "all-American boy" image they had crafted for this contestant.

Posted by: Harrison | Jul 9, 2013 11:32:42 PM

13. Lucky Miss Chen. She must have one hell of a privileged life if stupid people on tv can rock her world. omg

Posted by: sister sharon | Jul 9, 2013 11:43:06 PM

14. @dpbfeb: I guess you would label me a "white gay" and no, I don't think racist comments are fine and I don't think most others do.

"Don't sit up here and pretend that bigotry and epithets that specifically target people of your ethnic group aren't especially personal for you."

@Chance:I actually think that there is probably a tendency smong gay people to stand up for others more so than for ourselves. I know I grew up speaking up when others made anti- black/Jewish/, Native American/etc. comments but I wasn't as adamant about defending against the comments that hurt me the most and always felt like it should be the duty of heterosexuals to speak up against anti-gay bigotry, and the anti-gay comments were often the worst of the worst.

My point was that we as gay people are so used to really ugly discrimination that we tend to let more minor annoyances slide right off our backs.
    For example, Julie and Les' marriage would have been illegal in a lot of states way back in 1967, but gay couples are still fighting for the same rights in largely those same states 46 years later. And horrific anti-gay hate crimes are still happening around the world.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 10, 2013 12:38:46 AM

15. Whatever. You can't be complicit in putting the worst elements of society on television and then profess to be offended that they behaved in exactly the way you intended them to.

Posted by: ripper | Jul 9, 2013 12:35:55 PM

And that's all that needs to be said.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 10, 2013 7:08:59 AM

16. If I imagine the reverse situation (a Big Brother houseguest wishes a violent hate crime on an Asian and another uses a food stereotype to tell a gay person to "go have brunch," would I be more upset about the latter because I myself am gay? Not at all. Wishing violence on someone is much more offensive than an innocuous stereotype like that gays eat brunch, Asians eat rice and Englishmen drink tea.
    Posted by: GregV | Jul 10, 2013 12:38:46 AM

Your privilege is showing.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 10, 2013 7:12:04 AM

17. If the "rice" comments are so innocuous, then I dare any of you to go up to a black person and tell them to go cook up some fried chicken.

Posted by: jrbimmer | Jul 10, 2013 11:42:28 AM

18. I find it extremely interesting how so many comments seem to suggest that somehow racial comments are somehow more and less "innocuous" than homophobic ones.

it just goes to affirm my suspicion that a lot of people in the gay community are only "leaders of social justice" when it comes to an issue that affects them personally.

guess which ethnic group gets bullied the most? guess what comments they have to hear when they're getting bullied? no doubt some "innocuous comments about rice"

and really bringing up Uganda? you people act like Asian people aren't victims of hate crimes. You act like no one in America has gotten killed or harassed or injured for being Asian.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 11, 2013 9:11:57 AM

19. These comments have been made by comedians of all races for years. The difference between them and this show is that the cast of the show say the same things, not for laughs, even though they think they are. Do standup and make fun of your own race too. Laugh about it, ensure you are not going too deep with the comments. We are all different people and I think when Arryn was told by her friend the perception of her in the game b/c of her comments she was so annoyed, that's shameful. That should have been a wake up call saying 'We don't think you're funny!', but she just brushed it off. Keep it toned down and humorous. It would have been in her best interest to apologize to the house and to definitely watch 'how' she says things moving forward.

Posted by: RN1973 | Jul 12, 2013 11:45:00 AM

20. I feel this way about it. Since Julie Chen's husband is the President of CBS the right thing to do is expel not only Aaron but the other guilty house guests as well and replace them with people from past shows. That way ratings will still stay up and CBS will look really good. Don't understand why that hasn't been done yet?

Posted by: SuzieE | Jul 16, 2013 9:05:43 PM

21. Julie Chen is the ultimate hypocrite. Tons of plastic surgery to strip away her Asian ethnicity and features in an attempt to be "Americanized" in her looks.

Posted by: Scott Houston | Aug 30, 2013 1:36:33 PM