Boycotts | Film | News | NOM | Orson Scott Card

BigGayDeal.com

Geeks OUT Calls For LGBT Rights Supporters To 'Skip Ender's Game'

Ender's Game

Author Orson Scott Card has already caused a stir earlier this year at DC Comics, thanks to his well-publicized homophobic views and his involvement with the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage.

Card's anti-gay activism has become the center for controversy once again, months ahead of the release Ender's Game, the sci-fi film based on his 1985 bestselling book. The queer-geek group Geeks OUT has launched an online protest entitled "Skip Ender's Game", which encourages all members and allies of the LGBT community to boycott the film on all of its various platforms.

"Do NOT see this movie! Do not buy a ticket at the theater, do not purchase the DVD, do not watch it on-demand. Ignore all merchandise and toys. However much you may have admired his books, keep your money out of Orson Scott Card’s pockets."

The group has launched the site SkipEndersGame.com, where supporters can sign a pledge to boycott the movie, as well as keep track of relevant news updates. The Huffington Post also reports that the group is currently organizing events to coincide with the film's release in major cities such as Chicago, Dallas, New York, Orlando, Seattle, and Toronto.

Comments

1. Great idea. I already planned to boycott it.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 8, 2013 2:40:09 PM

2. Oh, I already palnned to watch it. If I boycotted every movie and TV show i have an issue with, I would ge to to watch nothing. Sides terrible people can be good writers, and hes a good writer, why wouldn't I want to see the film

Posted by: thrutch | Jul 8, 2013 2:51:35 PM

3. Aww. I am gonna see it, I like JUST read that book a year ago and I want to see a movie version of it. I wish there was a way to un-support it as well. I guess I could steal it or sneak into a theater.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 8, 2013 2:52:47 PM

4. Oh yes "thrutch" hand over your money to a man who thinks you should be sent to prison for being gay. I would never give my money to someone who hates me with such a passion that he pals around with Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher and gives NOM money.

Posted by: jht | Jul 8, 2013 2:58:39 PM

5. I know its considered one of the all time greats of Sci-Fi, but honestly I never saw the draw on this story. Its one of those hopeless man and technology will usurp humanity and you are powerless to stop it stories.

Frankly, I thought the ideals put forth in the book were pretty terrible and I kinda think people should look deeper at this one, the guy is not just anti-gay, he's kinda anti-human.

Posted by: Krupla | Jul 8, 2013 3:08:35 PM

6. Sorry RJ, but your headline is very hard to understand. Maybe put 'Geeks Out' in parentheses? Otherwise it reads like 'out' is the verb here.

Posted by: bernard | Jul 8, 2013 3:11:35 PM

7. ha, @jht you need to sort out where your money is going, because unless you live in the woods, made your own home and made your own tools for hunting and digging, you've contributed money to ppl that hate you for your sexuality

Posted by: thrutch | Jul 8, 2013 3:12:59 PM

8. This boycott will look ridiculous and show how we, the gay community, can bluster all we want...we really don't have the ability to pull off meaningful boycotts. It will open huge and stay popular for several weeks.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 8, 2013 3:17:14 PM

9. Watch t on Pirate Bay and skip giving a cent to Orson Scott Card. I don't want some NOM aligned mormon filth to get a cent of my money.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jul 8, 2013 3:21:03 PM

10. Haven't we learned anything from the million mom boycotts?

Posted by: ZWEEGAS | Jul 8, 2013 3:22:27 PM

11. Krupla: Maybe that's because Ender's game is a book that didn't age well, like some 80's popular novels like Less than zero or Bonfire of vanities, time wasn't kind with them

Posted by: jjose712 | Jul 8, 2013 3:23:40 PM

12. Good effort, I'll let my family and friends know.

Posted by: Gast | Jul 8, 2013 3:29:47 PM

13. Whatever he might have been before, Card is a truly despicable, unadulterated homophobe now. You really can't characterize this boycott as some kind of PC-run-amok hysterical response. He's one of the co-producers of this film so he WILL benefit from your ticket dollars and he WILL use that money to fight against your rights.

Let me just give you an example of just how nasty Card's attitude toward gay men is. He wrote a book called Hamlet's Father, a rewrite of the play Hamlet. In it, Hamlet's father is gay and a pedophile, which in Card's mind is synonymous. He "turned" Rosencrantz and Guildenstern gay by molesting them (because that's how being gay happens) and was murdered by another of his victims. But he comes back as a ghost to convince Hamlet that his good-because-he's-straight stepfather was his killer so Hamlet will kill him, thus dooming himself to Hell. Then Hamlet's father can realize his greatest wish, to rape his own son! Because that's the sort of thing that gay men do. And this wasn't some ill-advised Tweet sent out in a moment, it was a frigging BOOK, a sustained work of homophobic poison. So don't get distracted by any claims Card is the "real" victim here.

Is that *really* the kind of person whose current work, no matter your teenage affection for something he wrote before he went cuckoo-nutso over gays, you want to support? Why not just mail a check to NOM and cut out the middle-man?!

Some boycotts are ambiguous, with gray areas. This isn't one of them. Orson Scott Card HATES gay people with every fiber of his being and if you're reading this that probably means YOU.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 8, 2013 3:30:31 PM

14. This is taking things too far. We, members of the LGBT community are becoming a bunch of intolerant. I do not support this kind of activism.

Posted by: ElCid | Jul 8, 2013 3:31:48 PM

15. As I always understood it, a "boycott" is intended to put economic pressure on a business so that they will change their positions or practices - refusing to buy from a company that uses third-world labor or doesn't allow its workers to unionize, for instance. Or, in the case of certain conservative groups, refusing to buy from companies with gay-friendly policies. Usually the idea is that the company will be rewarded with the return of customers once the desired changes are made.

But the point of not seeing Ender's Game isn't to make Orson Scott Card recant his homophobia. It's a simple refusal to give more money to a man who's going to donate it to anti-gay groups. He's not entitled to have people buy tickets to his movie, after all.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jul 8, 2013 3:43:52 PM

16. Ender's Game is one of my favorite books ever -- I read it long before I ever knew how much of a tool Orson Scott Card was (though I swear he wasn't anywhere near as bad back then -- he's gone batshit crazy over the past decade).

I also love the cast in this film -- they couldn't have picked a better Ender and the supporting cast is almost universally perfect.

All that said, I don't think I can pay to see this film if paying to see it benefits Orson Scott Card in anyway. This makes me sad, but not only is Card a complete bigot, but uses his money and resources to support the causes of bigotry.

At the very least, he'll need to apologize for his past actions and promise to stop getting in the way of marriage equality and LGBT rights if he wants my $12.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 8, 2013 3:44:11 PM

17. We're being intolerant? Of what? Their intolerance? Some people are so dumb.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 8, 2013 3:44:47 PM

18. ElCid - OSC is a board member of NOM - fighting against your rights., You call us intolerant, maybe you should read up on Orson Scott Card and what he thinks of you. What a mindless comment, I presume you;re one of these lovely Homo conservatives. Yeah, we're so intolerant, of people who think we're less than human. Go whine with your idiot friends.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jul 8, 2013 3:46:38 PM

19. Orscon Scoot Card is a vile human. he makes money to spread his hatred off our backs...seriously...no joke. It's like Urban Outfitters or Whole Foods. I refuse to purchase anything from those organizations as long as they support bigots under the guise of liberalism.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jul 8, 2013 3:49:15 PM

20. To me actually going to see this movie is out of the question. Card is on the BOARD OF DIRECTORS of NOM, has written and said many anti-gay things, and he's one of the Co-Producers of the film so he will benefit directly from ticket sales.

They will be promoting this movie at Comic-Con but for some reason Orson Scott Card, who wrote the book and produced the film, won't be there. I wonder why? Oh, perhaps it's because he might get questioned about his rabidly anti-gay beliefs, which he's actually quite proud of. I seriously hope the actors and other people who are involved in the production DO get asked those questions instead.
    Even if you assume the film is a critical and financial hit, NOT seeing it still hits their bottom line.

But hey, if you're going to go see it despite all that, why not go whole hog and pick up some Chik-fil-A beforehand? Drop a check directly to NOM while you're at it. Oh, wait. By buying a ticket to this film you've already donated to NOM, so writing them a check would be redundant.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 8, 2013 3:53:41 PM

21. So I looked into the film to see if the people that will actually make money off this film are anti-gay or anything like that, or if they are amazing and not seeing the film would be a crime. Result: A bunch of meh to OK talent and your typical hollywood groups. Card is a producer.

@Caliban, I hope the geeks at comic con ask them those questions too. After Charlie Kraft the question of the relationship between the artist and the art becomes paramount. I don't think it's fair to those actors at all but so what, lots of stuff isn't fair, deal. However hyperbole isn't helpful here, seeing this movie will not have the same impact as donating to NOM, supporting NOM or maybe even buying a chick-fil-a, I just don't see any significant money going to anyone that will turn it into hate.

Also I would love to read a breakdown of the argument that Enders Game excuses Hitler, I can see that argument after reading to book and I would love to know if it is in any way valid.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 8, 2013 4:05:36 PM

22. The worse part is the clear message of the book is the respect for the different, wich is all kinds of hipocrit coming from him

Posted by: jjose712 | Jul 8, 2013 4:09:20 PM

23. Why are Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley in this movie? Was Kirk Cameron unavailable? Will Chick Fil-A be offering toys?

Posted by: stranded | Jul 8, 2013 4:16:03 PM

24. Also, especially to anyone who wants to see the movie anyway, you can still support Geeks Out in this. Geeks Out is a really fantastic site and group that could always use some support if you are feeling guilty :)

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 8, 2013 4:35:43 PM

25. @Fenrox, I'm not going to go on some hysterical diatribe, you're going to do what you're going to do, but how is financially supporting a film for which notorious homophobe and NOM Board Member OSC both wrote the source material and served as co-producer NOT supporting NOM? Even if he never gives a penny of that money directly to NOM you're still supporting his lifestyle.

And how is that different than eating at Chik-Fil-A? Because Dan Cathy didn't write a book you liked and boycotting the movie actually requires some sacrifice, denying yourself something you want?

But fine, a massive protest against Card ended up putting a stop to his participation in the Superman comics (technically the artist just withdrew but I'll be surprised if the project is revived), but what does all that matter if it gets in the way of you seeing a summer "blockbuster"?! We all just need to get our priorities straight. A sandwich you weren't planning to eat anyway? BOYCOTT!!! Skipping a movie you'd like to see? Wellllll....

Whatever.