Music | Music Video | News | Steve Grand

Steve Grand Talks About the Viral Success of 'All-American Boy' on GMA: VIDEO

Gma_grand

'All-American Boy' singer Steve Grand appeared on Good Morning America this morning to take about the viral success of his song and video. Grand says his parents sent him to gay conversion therapy after learning about his sexuality but says they have now come full circle.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. ugh, lame, I find this guy hella lame. I get it, you are attractive and you think you can sing, welcome to everyone after 2006. It's strange that our communities regular output of semi-talented eye candy is actually getting some real world attention, but that's probably because moron reporters called him the first gay country singer. /grump over

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 9, 2013 11:19:26 AM

2. /GRUMP ON

I already miss Christian...

/Grump back off

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 9, 2013 11:23:23 AM

3. A sweet guy that can sing is a rare thing--gay or straight.

Posted by: jim | Jul 9, 2013 11:24:35 AM

4. Thanks Fenrox.

This comment would never have been made if this guy were straight.

Maybe he's not going to turn out to be a superstar, but he's following his heart, and isn't that the point?

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 9, 2013 11:25:12 AM

5. That's a great story. Congratulations to Steve and his parents. Now at the risk of seeming shallow, DAMN Steve is smoking hot!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 9, 2013 11:28:07 AM

6. I like that his parents are cool now that he's getting famous. Time to ride the gravy train, mom and dad!

Posted by: Brian | Jul 9, 2013 11:29:36 AM

7. I stumbled across this little known Steve Grand (aka Starchild) cover from a year go that has hardly any views. I like it.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 9, 2013 11:29:58 AM

8. /GRUMP ON

Fenrox, your's is one of the more bitter posts I've read in a while. The guy has been through some tough times, goes into debt to create a piece of art that people respond to, and that makes him hella lame? Look in a mirror.

/GRUMP OFF

Posted by: Dave | Jul 9, 2013 11:33:19 AM

9. You know, part of my reaction to this song and video has been... tempered by the fact that he's an underwear model. "He's really pretty, so what problems could HE possibly have?" To see him on the edge of tears when talking about his parents' reaction to him being gay really humanized him for me.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 9, 2013 11:33:56 AM

10. Well said, Dave. Very well said.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 9, 2013 11:34:10 AM

11. I see nothing lame about it. He's a guy who's trying to make it as a singer and has some talent. While there's gay singers on the radio now, there's none that I've heard that sings about being in love with a boy. Just by switching the pronouns around he's doing something different.

And as for the country label, that doesn't seem to be his doing but just what the song sounded like to people. IN his interview in the Backlot he already says he doesn't plan to necessarily do country songs and lean towards rocks.

HIs song struck a chord with people who've been through a similar experience which is probably the main reason he's getting all the publicity. Instead of knocking it, consider how this might help other gay singers feel it's ok to come out and sing about their life. Even if you hate his singing I think he's accomplishing something.

Posted by: mary | Jul 9, 2013 11:34:47 AM

12. Beautiful song. It touches a place so may of us have been and hold onto. I've watched it over 30 times this week and it still puts a lump in my throat.

Posted by: Lance | Jul 9, 2013 11:38:05 AM

13. When I saw his cover of "How to Love" on Vimeo I knew big things were going to come his way!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 9, 2013 11:41:04 AM

14. Caliban,

Yes, b/c 'pretty' people have no problems. At all! Not even some problems that may be--gasp!--worse than yours. I'm thinking of, just as an example, the 'pretty' girls and gay boys who secretly suffer from, say, anorexia or bulimia.

Your view of someone who is 'pretty' is really clouded by so much jealousy that you can't have empathy for them?

Posted by: redball | Jul 9, 2013 11:44:11 AM

15. I'm definitely on the fence about this one. I am so happy for his success and wish him nothing but happiness, however as a singer/songwriter that has been struggling for some time in NYC, I find it obvious that his talent really has nothing to do with it. If he wasn't so good looking he wouldn't have so many views.

But then, I have this issue with most of mainstream media, it's not really a problem that Steve has, just one that he perpetuates.

Posted by: mg_xtra | Jul 9, 2013 11:45:19 AM

16. Regardless of how good he may be, this guy would not have made it to "Good Morning Siberia", much less "Good Morning America" just a year ago. If this is our fifteen minutes, we better use it.

Posted by: dixichuk | Jul 9, 2013 11:46:52 AM

17. If we're not suppose to judge the unattractive, why is it ok to spew hate on the attractive??...The jealous shows up already!....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 9, 2013 11:48:16 AM

18. I think the song is great and he seems like a good guy.

Normally when Towleroad features a 'gay singer' on this site it's some swishy and shirtless Chelsea queen, the video is embarrassing and the song just makes you want to cringe. It's gay, gay, gay first and music and singing ability second. But we're all meant to be supportive because it's a gay guy singing. Just as we're meant to support 'gay movies' (which are frequently just as terrible!)

We have to raise our standards. This song actually has a shot at mainstream / Billboard success.

Plus Steve is very hot!

Posted by: Richie | Jul 9, 2013 11:48:21 AM

19. Hating the attractive is bigotry plain and simple..

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 9, 2013 11:48:47 AM

20. To all the haters, I'd like to introduce you to two people: Britney Spears and Taylor Swift.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 9, 2013 11:50:31 AM

21. I think it's somewhat sad that we would think that THIS song, just because he's singing about loving a man, means we have to raise our standards. It's not that great of a song. It's simply heartfelt.

Getting into an argument about the subjective nature of music though, will prove futile in the end. Taste is taste. Still, I find the music scene growing dumber and dumber by the year, and people being ok with it.

Posted by: mg_xtra | Jul 9, 2013 11:51:03 AM

22. Great looking guy, and I still don't appreciate country music. Hope he succeeds, and the fact that he is nice looking won't interfere with future success.

I mean where on earth did he get that body? Great genes.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jul 9, 2013 11:56:10 AM

23. Get off your soapboxes, homos. He's pretty. That's the only reason you care. If he looked like Newman from "Seinfeld" you wouldn't give him a second glance. Or listen.

Posted by: wiredream | Jul 9, 2013 12:02:49 PM

24. He seems so fake.

Too bad most gay guys think he is "talented" because he is a good looking guy. His voice is nothing special (mediocre at best). If he looked like Lyle Lovett, he wouldn't have made it on Towleroad and all those drooling over him now wouldn't give a damn.

He should enjoy his 15 minutes of fame while it lasts. They'll be another prettier boy with a mediocre voice coming soon I am sure.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 9, 2013 12:10:11 PM

25. @mary has this 100% solid

It's not about the fact that he's gay. We've had thousands of gay artists. It's that he told a story that wasn't trying to be hip or philosophizing as a way to gain hetero acceptance/interest. It was just a story - a story many of us have lived through.

Yes he's attractive. If the same song was sung by someone less attractive, would it be less noticed? Quite likely. But it's out there now. People responded to it the same way they respond to any pop song. To be pop (with a tinge of country) is not to be evil.

I wish folks would take a step back and just say, "Hey, I had fun and had some good memories that this reminds me of." Yeah, the guy may make some money from this. Maybe he's been an escort and selling himself on the internet his entire life.

But that doesn't mean he can't tell a story that reaches out to people. Don't try to negate other people's reaction just by trying deflate someone's image.

Posted by: Aaron | Jul 9, 2013 12:13:18 PM