Australia | Hugh Jackman | I'm Not Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hugh Jackman, Wife Blast 'Stupid' Gay Rumors Again: VIDEO

Jackman

In what has become a biannual event, Hugh Jackman and his wife  Deborra-Lee Furness appeared on Australia's 60 Minutes to roll out complaints about how tired they are of the gay rumors that follow Jackman.

Said Jackman: "If I was [gay], I would be...It's to me not the most interesting thing about a person anyway, but I do get frustrated for Deb, because I see Deb go 'Ah, this is just crazy'."

Said Furness: "It is just wrong, it's like, it's a lie...It's just offensive. If he was gay, fine, he would say he's gay. It has gotten so out of whack … it's stupid, and yeah, it's annoying, because it's not true."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ah, first world problems. SMH, girl you live the life of a multi-millionarie, with a lovely family and complete security. You are looking for something to complain about. As long as you know he is straight and you are having good sex, then keep it to yourself and move on.

Posted by: Critifur | Jul 1, 2013 1:07:35 PM

=====
    Well said! Hollywood is the mecca of gossip, let it go and quit bitching.

Posted by: omi | Jul 1, 2013 5:08:30 PM

2. It might slow down the rumors if he got caught with another woman. But in general, I think the speculation could be more respectful.

Just because a hot leading man type doesn't serial date emaciated supermodels and can carry a tune at the Broadway level, doesn't make him gay.

Posted by: fanboi | Jul 1, 2013 5:08:58 PM

3. If he was gay wouldn't some lover have turned up by now?!

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 1, 2013 5:53:25 PM

4. @Ted "It comes across as someone trying to cover something up....She apparently is not secure in HIS sexuality."

They are both rightly pissed off at the ad hominem attacks on her throughout the media, and the bitchy commentariat seen above. She's a lovely woman and a fine actress (I respected her work long before Hugh was even a blip on the radar).

Posted by: Mike W | Jul 1, 2013 6:06:23 PM

5. I'm not buying it. We shall see in 40 years when all the truth comes out about all these long dead stars....like someone else stated here, "where there is smoke..."

Posted by: bostonbeat | Jul 1, 2013 7:01:09 PM

6. If he was gay I really doubt that he would be out. Seriously doubt that.

Posted by: Martin | Jul 1, 2013 7:16:54 PM

7. Lawd! Wouldn't a simple "rubbish" have sufficed?

Posted by: Perry | Jul 1, 2013 8:00:39 PM

8. She looks just fine, their in love!! get over it queens!! I'd be mad too, if everybody said I was straight!!!

Posted by: s | Jul 1, 2013 8:02:23 PM

9. Sweetie, when your hubby sings show tunes and is cranked on steroids people are going to talk. And no he can't be gay because 'the industry' would not invest in him as they have.

Posted by: M2 | Jul 1, 2013 8:17:18 PM

10. He's gay, she's a beard. That's life. When he's ready to come out, I don't know where that leaves her; maybe she doesn't, either.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 1, 2013 8:25:41 PM

11. I'm not buying it. We shall see in 40 years when all the truth comes out about all these long dead stars....like someone else stated here, "where there is smoke..."

Posted by: bostonbeat | Jul 1, 2013 7:01:09 PM

It's happening a lot sooner now, a la Lance Bass, which I'm happy about. All of those sham marriages with sham children were disgraces, back in the golden age. I really have to wonder about the kind of woman who intentionally beards for a man, though. It's one thing to be in the dark; it's another thing to live the lie as well.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 1, 2013 8:29:03 PM

12. Ah, first world problems. SMH, girl you live the life of a multi-millionarie, with a lovely family and complete security. You are looking for something to complain about. As long as you know he is straight and you are having good sex, then keep it to yourself and move on.

Posted by: Critifur | Jul 1, 2013 1:07:35 PM

You're forgetting: for some women, security is all the sex they need. When something threatens their security or social standing, look out! But they don't need an orgasm as long as they have the money and the social standing.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 1, 2013 8:30:53 PM

13. They should be approaching this with grace and humor rather than anger and defensiveness. He's suspected of being homosexual, not homicidal.

Posted by: Richard | Jul 1, 2013 8:44:33 PM

14. Who cares? I mean, if he isn't gay the he isn't gay. His wife seems more bothered by it than him. I understand that though, he's younger, very successful and miles out of her league; but if he loves her isn't that enough for her. I don't care if Hugh Jackman (or anyone for that matter) is or isn't gay, but this kind of damage control is never a good idea. I mean, if he says that he's not gay I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, it's just that gay or not he is quite faggy.

Posted by: DDM | Jul 1, 2013 9:06:25 PM

15. Hmm...So what I'm reading from the comments is...

He's been comfortable around gay people, had very close gay friends, did a few gay roles, and he has an older wife so that means he's gay.

So in essence, what you're saying as gay folks is the same thing that supposed homophobes say...which is you can catch gay?

I mean why use the same thought process as the "haters"...while at the same time, criticize it...seems very hypocritical even nonsensical. I thought the whole point was, straight men and women can have platonic relationships with gay folks all they want and still be straight...but a lot of you seem to be arguing against that.

I do wish however, that she'd have kept her mouth shut, cause all this will do is add fuel to the fire...they'll have to explain that the lies are offensive not being gay, because people will purposefully misconstrue what she said. And we can check that off the list, cause I read a comment doing just that.

More to the point, like he said, sexuality is the least of concerns...if your identity is only wrapped up in who you rub your gentials with...you've got a pretty insignificant existence.

She quelled zero rumors with this declaration, and is probably shooting off an email to GLAAD to apologize for her poor choice of words.

And the world keeps spinning.

Posted by: Miss Malevolent | Jul 1, 2013 9:09:29 PM

16. the rumors about him started because Crazy Days and Nights has repeatedly said a married man had his longtime lover installed right next door in NYC to his wife and kids (w consent from all parties) and everyone guesses Hugh. two gossip columnists on Adam Carolla's radio show 5 years back said 'Know who is gay? Hugh Jackman works out at our friend's gym..' and then Adam cut them off. Also, I know some background movie folk who say on a set, he is out. that it is a well known thing. (I state all this as answer to those who ask where the rumors come from)

Posted by: thineownself | Jul 1, 2013 9:54:29 PM

17. They should left alone already by all the toxic queens....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 1, 2013 9:58:49 PM

18. In no way did Hugh or his wife bring this issue up, or bring attention to the ridiculous lie. This has nothing to do with gay or straight, and should be considered the same thing as a rumor starting regarding Hugh being attracted to other woman. Either way it devalues and diminishes the strong and loving relationship he has with his wife. Imagine how she must feel being the butt of jokes. To Towleroad, you should not treat such an ally to the LGBTE community in this manner, or it may make men reluctant to join our cause in the future. THINK before you post, this isn't TMZ or the National Enquirer.

Posted by: Evan | Jul 1, 2013 10:19:07 PM

19. Honestly, Jackman and his wife deserve the treatment that Sarah Palin got for her loud-mouthed, superfluous, and spotlight-seeking statement:

"Who cares?"

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2013 12:23:22 AM

20. And, Evan, if Jackman is such an Lgbt ally, how could he allow himself to do this sort of effectively lgbt-bashing interview.

Not ok. But, yawn.

But if we have "friends" like Jackman and his wife, all ashamed and embarrassed at imagined association with us--well, who needs enemies.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2013 12:26:59 AM

21. We gay folk put up with enough bs from straight people in our lives personally--always striving to ignore their bigotry. You can be darn sure I'm not about to do that for some celebrity who ought to be able to hold himself to a higher standard.

Shameful. But I never really cared about Jackman or his wife, so meh, in the scheme of things. Maybe these two have such internalized homophobia as straight people that they can't even keep themselves from partaking in this embarrassing handwringing? Sad. Is it an Australian thing? Ewww.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2013 12:32:46 AM

22. Straight or gay, I don't care: This I attractive behavior by Hugh makes me want to throw up in my mouth when I look at him. Cheap. And low on sense.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2013 12:38:17 AM

23. Unattractive.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 2, 2013 12:38:46 AM

24. psh... the so called idiotic gay men wanted 'im gay when he was more str8 acting on the scene... the breeders want 'im gay for all the musicals.

though that I can't believe it's not buttah he did with meg ryan back in the day was pretty gay.

meh, he just needs to pull a colin farrell and release a low quality sex tape. though probably not with a black chick, even if she's a model. hadn't heard much of farrell since.

don't think he's gay, but it's likely his wife straps on.

Posted by: Satyr Troll | Jul 2, 2013 1:59:13 AM

25. The reason they are on 60 Minutes is because Hugh is doing promotion for The Wolverine movie. They are hardly there to blab about the gay speculation and the reason it comes up is that some reporters feel compelled to bring it up. Hugh's usual response is very mild mannered. To over react is to imply that he feels there's something wrong with being gay. His more simple denials are often construed as evasive. His stronger comments are seen as "protesting too much". It's a no win. Both of them usually do let the comments slide as they generally do not care about the speculation. But Deb has recently started to speak of her frustration and use the word offensive in terms of being called a liar. The question apparently keeps being asked in hopes she/he will finally come clean.
    I agree that the perception of a beauty inequality has fed the charge. But Deb is older and when they met, she was considered the catch. Looks, talent and personality were in her favor as he was a bit gawky back then as a young guy fresh out of drama school. Now, most days Deb looks her age but I still think she's lovely.
    Big deal, his PA lived on the grounds of a place they rented in LA for a bit? Thanked him in acceptance speeches? Hugh sincerely thanks a lot of people and they've had staff live with them at various times and no one seems to think that is wild and kinky.

Posted by: Jackie | Jul 2, 2013 4:07:36 AM