Robot | Tech

BigGayDeal.com

Lifelike, One-Eyed Robot Spider Might Creep You Out: VIDEO

Spider

There are already cinder-block tossing robot dogs, robot sand fleas, high-speed robot cheetahs and even robots that cheat at rock, paper, scissors.

But now the company Robugtix has created a 3D-printable robot spider with 26 motors and a kinematics engine that help it move in eerily life-like ways with only simple remote commands. With this, the great robo-animal revolt against humankind crawls ever nearer.

The T8 robo-spider is only $1,350 — cheap! Plus, Robugtix also has a crab-like hexapod for you crustacean lovers out there.

See the T8 bust some moves, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ca-Reeeepy

Posted by: disgusted american | Jul 10, 2013 10:55:36 AM

2. I, for one, would like to welcome our new robot spider overlords.

Posted by: nick | Jul 10, 2013 11:01:21 AM

3. I want one!

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 10, 2013 11:04:58 AM

4. How long till the Cylons rebel?

Posted by: DB | Jul 10, 2013 11:12:02 AM

5. i think we need to start asking 2 questions when it comes to 'innovation' -

1) what is it good for?
    2) how will it benefit the world & me?

for this robot spider there is an answer for #1 - it could be used in a music video. as far as #2 - it has no benefit...

Posted by: mike/ | Jul 10, 2013 11:13:06 AM

6. OK. What's the point? I mean, is it a gay mechanical spider?

As someone who is a confirmed arachnophobe, is this an attempt to make me more tolerant?

I'll pass. I still have nightmares of the time I was staying at Bananas on La Isla Nena (Vieques, PR) and that tarantula fell onto my face from its perch on the ceiling while I was sleeping (I didn't see it when I bedded down).

As I awoke, startled and brushing it off of me, I looked around the room and there were about ten tarantulas either on the ceiling or climbing up the far wall towards the ceiling.

Later I learned that the torrential rains that had been wreaking havoc on my tan plans the first few days of a two-week visit had flushed out tarantulas all over the place.

I've never quite gotten over that experience. You can keep your spiders, mechanical or otherwise.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 10, 2013 11:45:36 AM

7. Creepiness factor aside, insects are fascinating creatures. They're so adaptable. Probably why science is so fascinated by them.

And I'm an uber arachnophobe. It's almost primal, I fear them so much. I think this is why scifi writers usually make their scary aliens look like creepy insects. They know what creeps people out.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 10, 2013 11:57:57 AM

8. Creepiness factor aside, insects are fascinating creatures. They're so adaptable. Probably why science is so fascinated by them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 10, 2013 11:57:57 AM

9. Great! Just what the police and the government need. Little cameras to work at ground level!

I feel like Humanity's exploration with robotics and computers is just lumped under the thought: "lets just see how far we can take it.." Soon we'll have robots that are just like humans. Some day there might even be a fight for human and robot civil rights!

There maybe some positive benefit to this, but the evils far outweigh the good.

Posted by: gina | Jul 10, 2013 12:21:57 PM

10. Great! Just what the police and the government need. Little cameras to work at ground level!

There maybe some positive benefit to this, but the evils far outweigh the good.

Posted by: gina | Jul 10, 2013 12:21:57 PM

11. For the people who can't understand it's purpose or "why should I care?", it is a marvel. It's CRAZY cheap, very powerful, 3-D printed with some impressive moves. Did you see it's stabilization? Modify the legs to attach to most surfaces and you will have a remote control camera that can move almost anywhere.

The shape is silly, yeah yeah spiders, I like the 8 legs but I would want a sphere with a mounting platform, so it can work in any position.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 10, 2013 12:49:38 PM

12. This is just a starting point. Once it can be miniaturized to something like the size of your little fingernail (or even smaller), and made to be more transparent, with 'sticky feet', and then include some surveillance cameras and microphones, Big Brother will be a happy camper.

Posted by: rroberts | Jul 10, 2013 1:10:09 PM

13. Looks great so far. Does it walk?

Posted by: Glenn I | Jul 10, 2013 1:39:10 PM

14. Creepy crawly cool! But I think there was already a sci-fi channel movie about these critters.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 10, 2013 6:04:35 PM

15. Small?! I say make it 100X bigger and make it capable of carrying soldiers, marines or ninjas, while shooting flames and bullets from its underbelly! Let our enemies flee in fear of our attacking Spider Battallion!

Posted by: gb | Jul 10, 2013 8:52:34 PM

16. Helper? Is that you?

Go Team Venture!

Posted by: odsbjorn | Jul 11, 2013 12:04:14 AM

17. Does it do anything other than spider push ups?

Posted by: RayJacksonMS | Jul 11, 2013 1:14:49 AM