Macklemore | Music | News

Macklemore Talks Homophobia, Reveals The Inspiration Behind 'Same Love': VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.14.59 PM

On the same day that his single "Same Love" went platinum, rapper and LGBT ally Macklemore paid a visit to Angie Martinez and Peter Rosenberg on NYC's Hot 97 to talk about the inspiration behind his single, his "hella gay uncles," and homophobia within the wider hip-hop community.

On his song "Same Love":

"I think [my gay uncles] were an influence. I think that looking at the hip-hop community and holding myself accountable in the hip-hop community was what I cared about. That's my community. That's who I see to be oppressing gay people. The f-word and saying "that's gay" are still rampant. Homophobia is still rampant in the hip-hop community and it just gets the co-sign...It's getting better. The last year has gotten a lot better, but for so long, it was just an issue that nobody touched on."

Later on, Macklemore dishes on what it's like to be the first major hip-hop artist to really address the issue of homosexuality:

People are just scared. People are just really scared of how other people are going to perceive them. And for me, artists push the envelope of what is 'culturally acceptable' within hip-hop - what falls under the parameters of what hip-hop is and what it isn't. Those rules are old and outdated. This is an issue of equality and humanity and let's put that at the forefront and not worry about what the internet is going to say about us. I don't give a f*ck. I'd rather change people's lives than worry what the comments are going to say.

Check out Macklemore's interview (and an impressive freestyle), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love him.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 12, 2013 11:45:14 AM

2. LOVE HIM love the gay anthem!

Posted by: J | Jul 12, 2013 11:51:04 AM

3. This song has been blowing up in our radio market. Lots of support it's getting!

Posted by: Tim | Jul 12, 2013 11:51:35 AM

4. Same love was number 2 in our cities local major radio station Top 9 at 9 last night! Very thrilled for all the love it's getting

Posted by: Milo Dad | Jul 12, 2013 11:52:24 AM

5. The poster Zeta on this site is a bigot....please pass it on....enough with pandering to religious trolls who pretend to be our friend on this site.

In a recent thread, Zeta stated "gays coming out are drama queens who want to shove their sexuality down people's throats"

In a thread last week, Zeta said:

"which is it? Is marriage about love or about contracts?

If it's about love, then no one should tell someone they can't marry the grove they've bonded with, they take of, they own, or which they are going to pledge to own and take care of.

If it's about contracts, then ditto.

I don't see the problem. Should homosexuals?" while going on and on about how gay marriage can lead to animals and humans marrying.

ZETA IS A TROLL!

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 12, 2013 11:52:35 AM

6. He is fantastic. First hip hop album I've bought in a year, it's good too!

Posted by: Strepsi | Jul 12, 2013 12:13:08 PM

7. Macklemore is really changing the game in the hip-hop industry. He's proven you don't have to be homophobic, don't have to constantly curse, talk about sex/drugs/money ONLY and make a career. And people across the globe have been incredibly receptive to his songs and the messages within them, Same Love being one of his most popular. He's a hip-hip artist that's crossed boundaries and is popular with so many groups, diverse fanbase. Awesome guy, awesome music, Macklemore is great.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jul 12, 2013 12:23:54 PM

8. I love this guy. I liked Can't hold us, and when I heard this song, I had no idea what it was or who it was but the message stuck with me. Now that I know who did it,I only love the artist more.

On that note however, you can see the trolls come out of the woodworks on his youtube official song video.

Posted by: CocoaMonk | Jul 12, 2013 12:55:04 PM

9. Beautiful message, and easily my favorite rapper of today and one of my favorite artists!

Posted by: Fiat | Jul 12, 2013 1:04:46 PM

10. How come this guy is never seen collaborating with real rappers? Does the hip hop commuity even know this guy is alive? He seems okay but his style is a little dated. Very late 90's

Posted by: Reality Chek | Jul 12, 2013 1:14:59 PM

11. Love this guy!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 12, 2013 2:16:47 PM

12. IMO, Macklemore is a rapper for people who usually don't listen rap music. “He’s such a breath of fresh air unlike all those bad gangster rappers” is the thing you often hear from his fans. With today's hip-hop scene infested with anthems about “da bitches and hoes”, "Same Love" is an eye opening anthem to many people.

Posted by: Red | Jul 12, 2013 2:35:45 PM

13. Reality Chek: He is an independent artist, he is not in a major.
    His success was almost unexpected, and he is more an alternative rapper. His songs rarely air on Urban radio, and he chart on alternative charts.
    But he is very very big on Rythmic, wich is the most rap leaning chart.

Maybe a lot of rappers didn't know who he was last year, but know they know it for sure.
    This is not the beginning of the 00's when rap dominated the billboard charts. Right now only big names like Jay Z are able to score top 10 hits on billboard, and Maclemore had two number one hits (he is the first independent artist to score a number one since Lisa Loeb with Stay in the mid nineties), and he has three hits in the top 25 right now

Posted by: jjose712 | Jul 12, 2013 3:05:36 PM

14. His songs are famous all over the world, even in my part of the world (Southeast Asia). So I wouldn't say that nobody acknowledges him. Love our straight allies!

Posted by: darkorient | Jul 12, 2013 3:36:31 PM

15. My god, something people finally agree on here. And it's a rapper. Hilarious.

Yeah, I love this guy to pieces. Balls for days, and INCREDIBLY talented. Love that he re-released this single after his previous two singles became monster hits.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 12, 2013 4:25:17 PM

16. Macklemore is brilliant. The lyrics, music, and message are incredible. I just bought the CD of this album ('The Heist') and every single song is good. What other recent musician, in hip hop or any genre, has achieved what he has?

Posted by: DB | Jul 12, 2013 5:39:17 PM

17. I live in middle of nowhere in central florida, just orange groves far as you can see. I got hell of an shock twice this week coming home from work and heard same love playing on the radio.His music is really helping in opening peoples minds. Give him thanks wether you like or dislike his style of music.

Posted by: randy | Jul 12, 2013 8:01:59 PM

18. Love him an this song has helped a generation of LGBT

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jul 12, 2013 9:32:04 PM

19. Macklemore rocks my bones.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jul 13, 2013 1:12:49 AM

20. I just gotta say that I have been enjoying the song on the radio and had a clear picture of this progressive young man but man was I shocked to see this white guy. Am I a racist?

Posted by: craig | Jul 13, 2013 10:01:52 AM

21. The Barry Manilow of rap for the older White fans

Posted by: Kenny | Jul 13, 2013 3:20:09 PM

22. Hip hop is not a favorite genre of mine,but this guy is talented,and has a voice worth listening to.I enjoy his music,i appreciate his advocacy for our community and i am so happy for him and his success.

Posted by: MikahMikah | Jul 14, 2013 2:26:00 PM

23. Yes, Kenny, I have such fond memories of all those Barry Manilow songs about addiction, relapse, anti-consumerism, gay rights, etc! (Has Barry ever even admitted that HE'S gay?!)

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 14, 2013 2:48:03 PM

24. Love Love Love the video and its message, about Time!!!

Posted by: Carol | Jul 20, 2013 9:03:29 AM

25. Love Love Love the video and its message, about Time!!!

Posted by: Carol | Jul 20, 2013 9:03:29 AM