GQ | Harry Styles | I'm Not Gay | Interview | News | One Direction

One Direction's Harry Styles Addresses Bisexuality Rumors

Harry Styles GQ Cover
All five members of One Direction will be individually gracing their own cover of GQ's UK edition this upcoming September. To commemorate that fact, the boys were also interviewed by the magazine, and it was during that interview that Styles was asked point blank about his alleged bisexuality. According to GQ and E! News, rumor has had it for months now that Styles has been engaging in a relationship TV and radio host Nick Grimshaw.

His answer? "Bisexual? Me? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I'm not." He went on to say...

"Some of them are funny. Some of them are ridiculous. Some of them are annoying. I don't want to be one of those people that complains about the rumours. I never like it when a celebrity goes on Twitter and says, 'This isn't true!' It is what it is; I tend not to do that. The only time it gets really annoying is that if you get into a relationship and you get into a place where you really like someone and then things are being written in the papers that affect them and how they see you. Then it can get annoying."

One hopes that this isn't an instance where Styles finds the rumors to be "annoying". Otherwise, he might want to give a more committal response.

Comments

1. Since noone had pointed this out yet... He said he wasn't bisexual, he didn't say he wasn't gay or straight.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 31, 2013 9:11:33 AM

2. Does anyone know "Pink is the new blog (everybody's business is my business)" website? Well, posts like this one make Towleroad looks EXACTLY like that.

RJ Aguiar, it's cool for you to be interested in 1D members sexuality, specially if you fantasize about them. But please, do not make a news subject of that, because it is not. I came to this site running away of all that stupidity.

Posted by: ElCid | Jul 31, 2013 9:43:39 AM

3. So, uh, I guess Rick died and has been reincarnated as Adam?

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 31, 2013 10:28:02 AM

4. Admission/denial; admission/denial;
    Seriously ?
    Who gives a $hit ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 31, 2013 11:23:23 AM

5. I like that his answer is "I don't think so" that is actually pretty progressive, like he is leaving himself open to the possibility that he may at some point be attracted to a man.

Posted by: james | Jul 31, 2013 12:23:36 PM

6. I refer you to Ricky Martin's answer " I am a heterosexual Puerto Rican male." and of course Boy George and George Michael, Jon Secada, Nick whathisname .....

Posted by: Hagatha | Jul 31, 2013 12:49:54 PM

7. am I crazy or has the recent non-Andy writing on Towleroad gotten a bit entitled?

Posted by: jim | Jul 31, 2013 2:16:54 PM

8. He says his response like hes a politician here in America. As the previous comments on here state. If he were straight he wouldve stated "I'm straight". That wouldve been the end of it. He states on and on how annoying if one is in a relationship, blah, blah, etc. Sounds to me if you are following the money yes he would have much to lose as well as folks up and down the food chain of his career. Then again in this era of acceptance come out and see where folks stand. I really do not know this person and what he does for a living but if you're queer then you're queer. If you're straight state it to the world if you're a celebrity and let's all move on. That's all folks.

Posted by: David | Jul 31, 2013 3:10:10 PM

9. Adam, I agree there is a bisexual double standard, but I think its simply because straight men's pleasure has been privilege'd in society so whatever turns them on is encouraged and whatever doesn't is to be segregated and hidden away.

Hopefully things change.

Posted by: anna | Jul 31, 2013 5:23:28 PM

10. You want the rumors to stop, Harry? Then quit grabbing your band-mates crotches, you stupid wanker.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 31, 2013 5:25:30 PM

11. What I want to know is how Jon Secada turned black. I wonder if he was Michael Jackson's picture of Dorian Grey, as Michael got lighter Jon got darker.

Posted by: Hagatha | Jul 31, 2013 11:22:17 PM

12. From the GQ article:
    On Harry's rumoured relationship with Nick Grimshaw:
    Harry:"What rumours would they be?"
    GQ: That you're an item.
    Harry: "Oh, really? I didn't even know. We're not dating, no. We're just friends."

I like this response. He's asked of he's dating Nick and he says he's not. There's no horror at the suggestion over the fact Nick is male.

The interviewer then asks:

"GQ: So you're not bisexual?"

This is a stupid follow-up question. The fact he is not dating one particular person does not imply anything about what kind of person he will date.

When asked if rumors are annoying, Harry says:

"The only time it gets really annoying is that if you get into a relationship and you get into a place where you really like someone and then things are being written in the papers that affect them and how they see you. Then it can get annoying."

That response sounds VERY reasonable. If I had a famous partner and my friends and family had come to value our relationship, I probably wouldn't appreciate if when my mom turned on the TV there were people saying falsely that he/she is sexually involved with a bandmate or that he/she is a liar.

ALL of his answers here are classy, reasonable snd completely devoid of any homophobic reaction.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 31, 2013 11:29:41 PM

13. "Could we all *please* just agree that "boy bands" are pretty much the lowest common denominator when it comes to music, designed to appeal to peri-pubertal girls and a few gay boys of the same age, and there's nothing inherently interesting about them?"

I pretty much don't care about the private lives of most musicians or musical groups, and let their music stand on its own. I'll admit that there haven't been any boy band groups I've followed closely, but some of them have had songs I enjoyed, just like many other artists.

Just because something is slickly packaged and popular, doesn't make it inherently worthless.

For that matter, I'm not willing to say that just because something appeals to an age group I'm not in, that my preferences are "inherently interesting" and theirs are inherently invalid.

If I like a song, I'll listen to it. If not, I won't. I don't have to trash the group or any individual artist. I can just say I don't care for the song.

Posted by: Lymis | Aug 1, 2013 11:30:33 AM

14. He's "pretty sure" he's not bi, just like I'm "pretty sure" he's dating his bandmate Louis.

Posted by: Suzy | Aug 1, 2013 12:44:51 PM

15. Doesn't Harry have a GIGANTIC butterfly tattoo? I mean...?

Posted by: Rick | Aug 1, 2013 2:54:45 PM

16. Right on the day this interview flew out, Harry made some very pointed references onstage at his concert to the fact he's not a lesbian either. And then came some quite interesting Twitter quotes which if you are British you'll probably understand but which a lot of his younger fans just never do.

And since there's no real way of knowing who says WHAT in print interviews and even if it's been said at all (and not cooked up by their PR teams and the publishers of the mag), there seems to me a real divide between private Harry who is cool and doesn't care, even promotes himself as open-minded, and the presses views on him.

Tbh I would say he's straining to come out. They won't let him of course, until this thing is all over and the coffers are dry. This pop group are supposed to have a 'break' next year anyway so the madness around them should die down and perhaps they can be themselves. It must be very hard to be under such pressure to conform and give yourself to everyone, esp. when your fanbase is made up of girls who seriously think they are going to marry you someday. ;\ Those are my views, rightly or wrongly. I think Harry's autobiography would be very interesting to read in a few years.

Posted by: EM | Aug 3, 2013 6:12:22 AM

17. *Harry made some very pointed references onstage at his concert to the fact he's not a lesbian either.

Clarification, many people think of him as a girl or girly because he's quite feminine and sweet. His fandom nickname is Princess and I know I should even know this but hey...so basically read into the above what you will.

Posted by: EM | Aug 3, 2013 6:13:57 AM