Crime | Dogs | News | Oregon

Oregon Couple Attacked Over Pink Poodle, Assailant Faces Federal Hate Crime Charges: VIDEO

Dog

When boyfriends Jeremy Mark and David Beltier of Beverton, Oregon took their two-year-old poodle on a walk last March, they ended up becoming victims of a hate crime:

The victim said he was walking with his boyfriend in the crosswalk when someone pulled up next to them and started yelling homophobic slurs, while also making fun of their dog named Beauty.

… Beltier said the man then got out of his SUV and started punching him in the face. The suspect then went back to his car and emerged with a foot-long metal wrench.

The man hit Beltier in the back of the head with the wrench.

The victim was not cut open or badly hurt, according to police. He did suffer a bump to the back of his head.

The victims said the attacker then got back into his SUV and sped away.

"He was saying your poodle is a weird color and that's just un-American and F-you, you f--- and shouting," said (Mark).

Luckily, other drivers saw the attack and took down the SUV owner's license plate number, resulting in the arrest of 23-year-old George Mason Jr..

Mason now faces federal hate crime charges, and his wife has snagged a criminal charge as well:

His wife, Saraya Gardner, was charged with obstructing justice. Federal officials said she lied about Mason's whereabouts to Hillsboro officers, and then further misled them when she repeatedly changed her story about the weapon used to strike the victim. She now faces prison time.

In addition to the hate crime charge, Mason was also charged with second-degree intimidation, second-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and reckless driving.

Watch news footage about the attack, AFTER THE JUMP…

KCTV5

Comments

1. @ ratbastard: "I'm sure there's more, but that's 8 minutes of my time I'll never get back."

Of course, you volunteered that time, and we thank you for the contribution.

Posted by: James in Toronto | Jul 1, 2013 2:37:50 PM

2. folks, take solace: the "those effeminate men are wimps" posts are coming from complete total cowards. grown-adult closet cases whose only gay outlet is to come online and anonymously vent anger that those "effeminate men" aren't afraid to be Out and the hating commenters are.

you show me an "i hate effeminacy!" gay man and i'll show you a pathetic self-hating homosexual who still lives in fear of What Straights Think.

and since none of those commenters (all one of them, under varying names) can ever, EVER, put a strong empowered "masculine" face to their comments, i continue to be proven right.

the assault is unwarranted. DUH.

there are hateful bigots in society. and the biggest wimps in the gay community are the men who pathetically join the anti-gay bigots in hopes that their hatred will be deflected onto "those OTHER gays."

those "OTHER GAYS" , of course, being those who refuse to hide and blend in.

rock on brothers and sisters. there's a world of hate out there, but we're strong enough to end it when we support each other.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 1, 2013 3:01:27 PM

3. For the record, I said nothing about effeminacy. I am talking about weakness, passivity, and cowardice.

I don't know whether these various other incidents, where 1 attacker was allowed to terrorize many, involved fem gays or masculine gays. What I do conclude from the details of the incidents as reported on Towleroad is that they involved cowardly gays. In this case, it doesn't matter to me whether these guys had a pink poodle or whether they had a purple St. Bernard. What disturbs me is that these guys outnumbered their attacker 2-1 but couldn't or wouldn't defend themselves.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 1, 2013 4:45:03 PM

4. Sounds like Rick has a manhood image problem--bash them fem fags cuz there ain't no reason for them to be alive at all. I wonder if Rick posted his rant in panties and bra with a pink poodle in his lap.

Posted by: Don | Jul 1, 2013 4:53:50 PM

5. what's weaker and more cowardly than being a grown adult gay man who can only make his faux-boastful comments from a place of complete anonymity?

#growanactualpair

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 1, 2013 4:59:23 PM

6. That is one scary looking white trash couple.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 1, 2013 5:57:01 PM

7. Living in Portland, Oregon all I had to do is see that they were in Beaverton to say; "No surprise there!" They could walk down the street in downtown Portland with their pink dog and wearing nothing but pink tutus and most people would not even give them more than a glance.

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 1, 2013 9:27:37 PM

8. @Rob
    There are some among our community that do not believe in violence. Personally, I am not a fighter, but defer to the police and the courts, doing their job. Am I less of a human being because I prefer NOT to fight? In my eyes, you have the problem. Since when is it right to fight violence with violence? Isn't that what we strive to avoid in being civil? You become part of the problem when you promote fighting back. Fighting back, means instilling fear in others. That is not what I believe in. So, I guess in your opinion, I am a wimp. A wimp that has converted several people having a heart attack, back into a normal sinus rhythm. A wimp that has taught hundres of people to perform CPR, that has taught even more people BASIC first aid. And even taught nurses how to provide first aid in the field. So according to you, I am a useless individual because I do not instill fear in individuals. My question to you is, how many more people are alive today because you saved their lives?
    I feel that saving a life is so much more important than instilling fear!

Posted by: John | Jul 2, 2013 2:55:00 AM

9. yeah, fight with a random person who's crazy enough to attack you and your boo, and you will probably end up with a knife in your throat or a bullet in your head, cuz, remember: 'crazy person'.

Posted by: redball | Jul 4, 2013 4:53:23 PM

10. The sow that is the wife just got convicted.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jan 30, 2014 11:46:02 AM