Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News | News Clips | Reince Priebus | Republican Party

RNC Chair Not Embracing 'Tolerance': VIDEO

Priebus

Attempting to put at ease Evangelicals, who "start to grab the Excedrin bottles when they hear [the word] 'tolerance'" in the context of gay marriage, RNC chair Reince Priebus spoke to the Christian Broadcasting Network's David Brody about "the whole gay marriage situation," ThinkProgress reports:

"I don’t know if I’ve used the word ‘tolerance,’ I don’t really care for that word myself. I don’t have a problem with it, I just think it has another meaning politically that can go the other direction. I happen to believe that our principles are sound. I do believe, and I still will tell you that our party believes that marriage is between one man and one woman. Our party believes that life begins at conception. I think those are foundational issues that aren’t going anywhere but what I have said, which I don’t think should be controversial at all and I would think that Christians and pastors and everyone in between should agree that our principles have to be draped in the concepts of grace, love and respect and that’s not code language, that’s the New Testament. [...]

So ‘tolerance’ — maybe some people use that word, what I would tell you, when I think about it, I think about grace, I think about love, and I think about respect, and I think those are things that are very square with our beliefs as Christians."

Back in April, Priebus received a letter from 13 anti-gay groups threatening to leave the GOP if they did not support a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage and the now defunct DOMA. They seem like a charming bunch to have to kowtow to all the time.

Right Wing Watch provides video of the interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wonder what non-Christian Republicans think when they hear statements like this. The GOP is the Christian GOP. Even Jews are not included, with that mention of the New Testament.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 23, 2013 9:36:13 AM

2. Excedrin? Seriously? What a hip hop happenin' guy....

Posted by: Butch | Jul 23, 2013 9:37:50 AM

3. i mean would you even trust anyone called Reince ? Sounds like something that Victorian Prostitutes used to get. What a detestable immoral fool who would be better suited to living in times of the Old Testament....but of course he might not have liked Jesus and his tendency towards tolerance.

Posted by: mike | Jul 23, 2013 9:40:21 AM

4. I prefer GOP but only with catholics. I mean it's tradition of this party

Posted by: powiększenie penisa | Jul 23, 2013 9:47:09 AM

5. I prefer GOP but only with catholics. I mean it's tradition of this party

Posted by: powiększenie penisa | Jul 23, 2013 9:47:09 AM

6. I wonder what a Jew like Eric Cantor thinks when he hears this drivel? But then again, I wonder why Eric Cantor gets out of bed in the morning? To be this insular and insulting day after day must be very tiring.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Jul 23, 2013 10:02:21 AM

7. I don't need, don't want and don't care about his or the GOP's "tolerance."

It's all about equality. If they can't tolerate that, then too bad.

I can't tolerate stupid people who try to tell me they speak for god. So I ignore them!!

Posted by: Keep Your Tolerance | Jul 23, 2013 10:09:56 AM

8. Reince provides us with continuing proof that the GOP's great 2013 re-branding effort is an epic FAIL. As stated by other posters, even some current and former GOPers must be wondering what in the hell is going on with this ever-shrinking tiny-tent political/religious party.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jul 23, 2013 10:11:10 AM

9. To hell with republican tolerance. Nothing less than full acceptance should be expected when it comes to matters of equality. That bunch of new testament bible-banging hypocrites certainly has a long way to go.

Posted by: excy | Jul 23, 2013 10:19:00 AM

10. Codifying bigotry as repressive laws against LGBT really speaks to that whole 'grace, love, and respect' language there Priebus.

Mollifying the hate base can't be covered up with cliche platitudes anymore. Millennials have heard your lies, seen them for what they really are, and rejected them.

Posted by: JONES | Jul 23, 2013 10:41:23 AM

11. He's such a sniveling slimeball, and he and the party will keep catering to the zealous religious and teabagger nut base as long as they control the party, never mind that the American public as a whole--not to mention the justice system--is way out ahead of them on marriage equality.

As for "tolerance," the only kind that matters is supporting legislation that promotes equality under the law; otherwise it's a meaningless lie.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 23, 2013 10:42:12 AM

12. He's such a sniveling slimeball, and he and the party will keep catering to the zealous religious and teabagger nut base as long as they control the party, never mind that the American public as a whole--not to mention the justice system--is way out ahead of them on marriage equality.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 23, 2013 10:42:13 AM

13. is it me - or does anyone else notice he always seems like he's kinda drunk when he's talking?

Posted by: disgusted american | Jul 23, 2013 10:49:50 AM

14. The christian hijacking of the Republican Party is disgusting and illegal.

Posted by: Martin | Jul 23, 2013 11:00:17 AM

15. Does anyone really take Rinsed Penis seriously?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 23, 2013 11:05:37 AM

16. The only thing that can keep the GOP in power is voter suppression.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 23, 2013 11:13:59 AM

17. did anyone watch the HBO special "The Out List"?

there was that interview with R. Clarke Cooper - log cabin republican. whose interview was basically about how he has less in common with "gays" and more in common with "the right", because of "jesus" , or something

but this article here makes it all bloody clear. gay republicans are whipped. not loved. not accepted. not embraced. not championed. not defended.

tis only gay republicans that talk about "tolerance"; i don't know any liberals who talk about it, or aspire to earning it. it's pittance.

tolerance is what you talk about when you dont' have the integrity to embrace diversity.

so, gay republicans, "your way" of doing things simply isn't yielding results. time to take a page from the Gay Liberals, who've actually made change happen.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 23, 2013 11:41:21 AM

18. 'Tolerance is what you talk about when you don't have the integrity to embrace diversity.'

Well said Kiwi.

Posted by: JONES | Jul 23, 2013 11:58:29 AM

19. The spectrum does not start at "tolerance" it looks more like this:

INTOLERANCE < TOLERANCE < GRACE/LOVE/RESPECT

Intolerance to me can take extreme forms (violence) and can also include actions that encourage dehumanization and violence, like trying to change the constitution to exclude people.

Tolerance means you support equal rights for everyone, no matter whether you like them much or not. It means if you don't like gays or Catholics or blacks, maybe you won't invite any of them to your wedding, but you still support their right to have their own.

Grace, love and respect is how Jesus told people they should treat each other. It's how Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta treated their gay best friend Bayard Rustin. It's how Ellen Degeneres treats others. My own family supports my rights and loves my partner and would not want me sny other way but the gay person that I am.

I have gay friends whose families are as INTOLERANT as Reince Priebus, and they have terrible family relations. Some of them are told their spouse is not welcome at the family reunion. One is told by his twice-divorced father that he's a "sinner." One has a sister who tells him that when they die, she will be on a higher plane of heaven, so she'll come "down" to visit him, but he will never be worthy of coming "up" to visit her. She can't be bothered to get to know his partner and find out if there might be something to love about him.

Tolerance is not good enough. It means you'll still never really love or understand or appreciate your gay family members or community members if that's all they get. But it's a step ahead of where Reince Priebis is as he campains against other people's basic rights to be treated as equals.
    It boggles the mind that he imagines himself on the progressive end of the spectrum.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 23, 2013 12:15:18 PM

20. GOP: keeping the people stupid!

Posted by: Mmike1969 | Jul 23, 2013 12:19:22 PM

21. Evangelicals have long forgotten their original political goals from the seventies when they signed up with the GOP. They haven't won on a single issue in nearly 40 years. About all they've succeeded in doing is suppress gay rights, which wasn't something they originally thought about.

Posted by: anon | Jul 23, 2013 12:20:52 PM

22. nah Priebus you believe in the sancity of marriage between one man and one woman and then another woman and then another woman and then another woman and so on and so on

Posted by: Bellah | Jul 23, 2013 12:30:04 PM

23. With ALL due respect, Reince, FY.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jul 23, 2013 1:00:35 PM

24. I's all so pathetically 19th century; all that self loathing, all that neediness to be in the same gang, all that clinging to a common delusion, all that rank sweat of fear of change.

None of these GOP'rs believe in the"sanctity" of marriage, or in "grace" (whatever that is), on in compassion, or in social obligation to feed the hungry or house and clothe the poor. The hate giving health care to the poor.

As ""Tim, a poster here once reminded me:

" As Holden Caulfield said, Old Jesus would just puke."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 23, 2013 2:33:07 PM

25. word salad but essentially the gop is the christianist party.

duly noted, rinsed penis