Blood Donation | News | Ryan James Yezak

The Gay Rights Movement Part II: VIDEO

Gay

DriveRyan James Yezak, who you know from his super-viral clip in support of this forthcoming documentary, The Gay Rights Movement, has released another spectacularly edited montage of vintage news clips that weaves the narrative of the federal ban on blood donation by gay men into a larger picture of the LGBT civil rights struggle.

It's in support of a National Gay Blood Drive taking place tomorrow to draw attention to the issue.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I broke right down. I'm older...and I never imagined I'd see this day.

Posted by: Geoff | Jul 11, 2013 9:31:24 AM

2. The most violent acts towards gays, in this video, are done towards black men who do not live in the United States, including images of hangings/lynchings.

There's a disconnect when we see white boys speak for themselves about feeling like no one likes them, followed by a father slapping his son and some kicking, followed by non-whites getting actively killed.

There are no images of whites being actively killed.

We get several seconds, several times, of a latino in a movie blowing up about not having the same rights.

Those seconds could have been used giving voices to real life latinos to let them speak for themselves.

The only black gay men who gets to speak for himself is Jason Collins -- for a split second. Other black men who get to speak are a newscaster (neutral), an anti-gay preacher (lots of screen time), and the President (because they have to include him).

Whoopi Goldberg is the only woman of color who speaks. There's the Latina in the movie, but it's a movie and she has nothing to do but look shocked as the Latino actor goes into meltdown mode.

The Judge in the movie may or may not be a person of color, but again it's a movie.

Meanwhile, white women are VERY well represented, in both senses. Take from that what you may.

There are no Asians, and no Native Americans.

Lot of white men, though. White men talking, talking, talking, anti-gay, pro-gay, but they ARE talking.

Down me all you want for focusing on this stuff instead of the content. For me, this *is* the content.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 11, 2013 9:41:43 AM

3. @ Zeta:

Is there a point to your rant ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 11, 2013 9:56:55 AM

4. What was the part about "we get beat up and harassed" from? looks like a show? Anyone?

Posted by: Ben | Jul 11, 2013 9:57:45 AM

5. @Geoff: So am I and so did I

Posted by: gerry | Jul 11, 2013 11:04:46 AM

6. @Geoff: So am I and so did I

Posted by: gerry | Jul 11, 2013 11:04:46 AM

7. @Ben

Harry's Law

I saw your question on YouTube and I thought I'd let readers here see the answer, too.

Posted by: John | Jul 11, 2013 11:19:38 AM

8. Zeta, thank you for stating what so many are willing to overlook. We cannot demand equality for some if we do not fight for equality for all.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 11, 2013 6:29:23 PM

9. So Ryan James Yezak uses another batch of unlicenced media clips for the supposed documentary he is working on and pitches for more money to finish it without really showing he's advanced in securing any rights - and ties it up to the blood ban issue to drive up views. And people still fall for his schtick. Hilarious.

Posted by: LOLZ | Jul 11, 2013 11:41:07 PM

10. That was amazing. Count on black people to come and make everything about their like race card. So calculating but the black community is FILLED with homophobia.

I loved this clip.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 12, 2013 8:30:44 AM

11. Zeta, that's rich coming from a homophobic black bigot like you.

Here's a comment Zeta made just the other day

"Gay = Drama Queen. Pass.

No one cares about sexual orientation, but being pushy about it is the fast way to getting non-gay people to form negative associations about it"

Zeta IS the black anti gay preacher. There's plenty of them to be found within the black community

Posted by: PROUD gay man | Jul 12, 2013 8:44:52 AM

12. @LOLZ

"Rather than go out and do something positive, there are people within every group who look at those who have accomplished something and sit there and criticize."

Harvey Milk