Drag Queens | Fire Island | News | Willam

Willam Heads to Fire Island Pines for the Annual 4th of July Drag Invasion: VIDEO

Belli

Drag Race's Willam Belli was on location at the biggest drag gathering on the East Coast, the annual Independence Day invasion of Fire Island Pines.

Writes NewNowNext:

It’s a celebration of the original drag-queen invasion in 1976, when a fleet of queens sailed from the Grove to the Pines when one of their number was refused service.

As they have for nearly 4o years, the hordes arrived by ferry and sashay down the runway one by one on the pool deck. We saw Hedda Lettuce, homages to Paula Deen and the Kardashian clan, and more than a few girls that beggar description. And the festivities were especially festive this year with the opening of the brand-new Pavilion, the center of nightlife in the Pines.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Get More:

Comments

1. Jason? Rick? You're up next.....

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 10, 2013 11:37:03 AM

2. I would love to see Willam take down the Jason/Rick/Towleroad misfits.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jul 10, 2013 11:40:18 AM

3. Willam is a delight.

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 10, 2013 11:55:08 AM

4. Yeah, we wouldn't want any 'misfits' in the gay community. No square pegs in a round hole. We should all think and be as one big LGBT Queer Borg. That's the ticket.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 10, 2013 12:10:18 PM

5. Yeah, we wouldn't want any 'misfits' in the gay community. No square pegs in a round hole. We should all think and be as one big LGBT Queer Borg. That's the ticket.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 10, 2013 12:10:18 PM

6. Haha, Willam. You always slay me.

Posted by: Mousie | Jul 10, 2013 12:18:34 PM

7. That was fun.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jul 10, 2013 12:19:40 PM

8. Willam is the best.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 12:30:17 PM

9. Oh Ratwhatsyourface...I meant you and the rest of the misfits here. The ones who post just to get attention.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jul 10, 2013 12:32:08 PM

10. That pic of "William" with his tongue out should be very useful for all the bulimics out there. Any time you want to puke, just look at it.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 10, 2013 12:53:00 PM

11. Ignore the fake troll posting under my name. That is just the pathetic Little Kiwi trying to coopt my voice.

I certainly don't support this kind of degrading minstrel performance, any more than I would support blackface.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 12:55:01 PM

12. Drag degrades gay men. It degrades women. And it degrades trans people.

No more drag.

Posted by: Debs | Jul 10, 2013 1:12:44 PM

13. Ignore the second MateoM post.

Rick/Jason has caught on to pointing out every time he posts under my name, so now he's pretending that kiwi would for some reason post under my name. Everyone knows kiwi only posts under the various aliases of Rick because those aliases say awful things about the LGBT community, racial minorities and women. Rick/Jason is so pathetic in his trolling that he expects people to believe I would call him out and then parrot his own talking points.

I love drag, and am friends with many drag performers. Willam is a delight and I love most everything he comes out with. And I'm seeing Jinkx Monsoon and Peaches Christ perform Grey Gardens in San Fran in October. So excited!!!

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 1:32:05 PM

14. Only on Towleroad can you see the multiple personalities of the trolls argue with each other.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jul 10, 2013 1:43:27 PM

15. I'm not trying to troll. Rick/Jason insists on posting under my name. I have to call it out or people may actually believe I would say the horrible thing Rick/Jason says when posting under my name. It's a crummy situation. I'm sorry about the multiple posts, but if Rick/Jason would just leave people alone we wouldn't have a problem. Or if Andy just changed the commenting format. Then we could ban people like Rick/Jason.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 1:51:11 PM

16. I too want to apologize for multiple posts. But I can't let the troll above get way with this. This is almost certainly the deranged Kiwi, who is constantly trying to promote drag and transgender stuff and who frequently posts under other peoples' names. The guy has issues with treating others with respect. Andy should ban him.

Anyway, there is nothing delightful about mocking women and gay men. That is never funny and it has no place in gay culture. I know the people who do this probably mean well, but it is still offensive and degrading. It is comparable to minstrel shows and blackface.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 1:58:13 PM

17. Ugh, I'm done with this thread. Despite the fact that I've made it clear that Rick/Jason is responsible for using my screen name, fake me continues to put this on Kiwi. I've already made my support of drag clear and at this point I have nothing more to say about the matter. Furthermore, I vehemently support my Trans brothers and sisters with my whole heart, a heart being what Rick/Jason/fake MateoM lacks.

I apologize for the actions Rick/Jason/fake MateoM. It's my fault for trying to contribute positively to Towleroad. Rick/Jason hates (and will not stand for) positivity on this site. And until Andy changes the comment format, Rick/Jason will win this battle.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 2:11:05 PM

18. Hi Debs. Drag insults no one. It's just drag. If you feel insulted by something that happens outside of yourself, you must look at your reaction, not the thing that you're reacting to. 'kay?

Posted by: Robert | Jul 10, 2013 2:14:05 PM

19. real MateoM - take it for what it is: a coward with no spine has now set his targets on you.

why? simple: he has nothing else to live for.

saw the invasion for the first time two summers ago.

loved it. was surprisingly emotional, too.

video of it all here:

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 10, 2013 2:17:53 PM

20. kiwi, i believe it was you who started this asinine practice of imposter troll posting using rick's name, n'est-ces pas? when you do are you a "coward with no spine" too?

your self righteousness is breath taking

ot: i would love to see this and generally love drag (and drag race), yet I see the validity in rick's and deb's points that it's also minstrelsy (new word!)

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 2:37:38 PM

21. Those attempting to equate drag with minstrel shows really need a dictionary and a history lesson.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Jul 10, 2013 2:47:57 PM

22. gomez - stop being mad at me for the fact that you're not man enough to be Out yet.

it's not my fault you have capers for testes.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 10, 2013 2:51:26 PM

23. Robert,

Um,no not kay. Are there no such thing as racist, sexist and homophobic insults? Is it all on the victim and his reaction? If these drag performers instead showed up in blackface and referred to themselves with the N-word, would you wag your finger at Black people and tell them to examine their own reactions, since that is where the problem lies? You might think that drag is not equivalent to racist minstrel acts, but that is different than saying that you can never feel insulted by something happening "outside of yourself."

Your privileged, arrogant attitude underscores the discriminatory culture in which drag thrives.

Posted by: Debs | Jul 10, 2013 2:52:13 PM

24. There you are, Kiwi. I was worried I would have to take on Rick/Jason's madness on my own.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 10, 2013 2:53:25 PM

25. this site needs a change. pronto. new format, weed the trolls out.

i'm over it.