Jack Andraka | News | Science

Gay Teen Science Prodigy Jack Andraka is the Real-Life Doogie Howser: VIDEO

Andraka

16-year-old openly gay Jack Andraka developed a revolutionary new way to test for pancreatic, ovarian, and lung cancer, and he wants to revolutionize science education. He will enter the 11th grade this fall. Incredible.

Watch Andraka offer hope for changing the world, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @ Hadeneough,

yeah, it's the new past time here at Towleroad--posting under other "regulars" names. I wish who's ever doing it would be a littel more clever or creative. When they do me they make me sound/read like Flip Wilson's "Geraldine".

"The racists is comin'!"

"The racists is comin'!"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 5, 2013 1:57:45 PM

2. Of course, now I'm pretending to post as Mike because I can't even stick to a consistent fake-name in order to get the attention of the people I obsess over. First my family ignores me, and now online commenters whom I obsess over. No wonder I'm so unloved. I suppose I should stop talking about the people I obsess with before I pretend to be upset that they talk about themselves, after I'm the one who brought them up in the first place.

Posted by: MIKE | Aug 5, 2013 2:03:22 PM

3. I love this. i worry that one of the drug companies will buy and then shelve his idea.
    American medicine is not interested in innovation, only maintaining the illness to ensure lifetime treatment (aka clients)

Posted by: ty | Aug 5, 2013 2:14:07 PM

4. Those folks who've been visiting this blog regularly over the last 2 or 3 years should easily be able to tell who the imposters are. Why would Little Kiwi say something negative about an openly Gay teenager? It doesn't make any f.cking sense.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 5, 2013 2:14:41 PM

5. @Mike:

Good contrast between this incredible young man who is helping cancer victims and Raymond Miller aka Little Kiwi, who probably will never accomplish anything in his miserable life.

However, you missed one additional difference between the 2. Jack has a lovely head of hair. Raymond, not so much. Maybe Jack Andraka can help Kiwi out by finding a cure for male pattern baldness!

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Aug 5, 2013 3:09:20 PM

6. Here are some Odd facts about Nobel Prize winners. Most of them scientists. Some of them even went to jail.

Posted by: simon | Aug 5, 2013 3:28:49 PM

7. I hope that homophobic legislator in Russia get pancreatic cancer and it get cured because of this kid's research.

Oh wait -- he'd never admit to be saved by a fag. Perhaps Tony Perkins will be more generous?

Posted by: Randy | Aug 5, 2013 4:19:22 PM

8. Little Kiwi gets littlier with every post weather its fake or not. LOL.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2013 4:49:53 PM

9. The science behind this has been debunked multiple times over the last couple of decades. He has done nothing but rehash this problem and lead the public astray. He is not a genius.

Posted by: Chad | Aug 5, 2013 5:07:11 PM

10. I'd commit suicide but the last thing I'd want to do is anything that would make my family happy.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2013 5:22:49 PM

11. This guy is exactly right about the science journals and education. I hope he's right about cancer.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 5, 2013 5:40:33 PM

12. You can tell that that last post by UFFDA isn't really me. It's below par, it's too lame.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2013 6:51:05 PM

13. First is someone has to say something nasty about any of the post on this site please have the balls to do it under your own name . it takes a coward to hide behind somebody else when you want to say something nasty. This kid is only an outstanding example for the gay community but the whole human community as well. it someone can find fault with him then they really are a bitchy queen.

Posted by: walter | Aug 5, 2013 7:37:16 PM

14. I've actually been following this young man on twitter and facebook for awhile now simply because he's so inspiring and gives me hope for the world.

Posted by: Fox | Aug 5, 2013 8:15:43 PM

15. Intelligence and intellect are very attractive qualities. This guy will have no problem finding a boyfriend.

Posted by: Javier | Aug 5, 2013 8:16:34 PM

16. For the most part I've stopped reading the comments on this site because of the endless petty rivalries and immature name calling (and using). Most comments used to be witty or insightful or both. Now it's the same (apparently very bored) few people posting the same things ad nauseum. It's destroyed much of what I once loved about Towleroad.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 5, 2013 10:10:40 PM

17. OMG, get over yourself, Kiwi, this isn't the place for you diseased, bloated egoism !

Posted by: Toddy Out West | Aug 5, 2013 10:47:25 PM

18. I really loved how, in a previous video interview, Jack Andraka was so incredibly casual about being gay. The interviewer asked a really lame question like, "Being so smart, do you get in trouble too, like with the *ladies*?" And Jack responded simply, "Well I'm gay, so no." He was utterly matter-of-fact about it and shut down the interviewer and his silly questions immediately.

Another great part of that interview was his mom was sitting by his side, checking her iPhone and only popping into the conversation to make pithy comments, like reminding Jack of the time he cultured e Coli in their kitchen.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 5, 2013 11:48:28 PM

19. Kickstarter campaign idea:
    Clone 5 million of HIM!

What a breath of fresh air....

Posted by: Marc | Aug 7, 2013 7:30:26 AM

20. At fifteen Jack is the headliner at international science conferences, has been invited to the White House four times in one year, identifies as gay, he's self confident, he's apparently out to his family.

Yet on 60 minutes CBS never asks about relevant stuff like a boyfriend or whether his parents are allowing him to date?

Instead they turn up the volume on the scientific boy-wonder cheerleading and press the delete key on his personal life.

Not really 21st century reporting is it?

Posted by: mark | Oct 15, 2013 10:00:07 AM