Kristin Chenoweth | Music | News

Random Audience Member Picked by Kristin Chenoweth Stuns Hollywood Bowl with Voice: VIDEO

Bowl

At last night's concert at the Hollywood Bowl, Kristin Chenoweth chose a random audience member to join her on stage for a performance of "For Good" from Wicked.

The audience member (also, a voice teacher) Sarah Horn, explains:

Toward the end of the second half of the performance, Kristin wanders on to the pasarel. She held a mic up to a lady in front of me and asked if she knew the song "For Good." Nope. I took the chance, as I was directly behind Kristin, to stand up and wave and say, "I know the song!"

This is not like me - to jump up and wave my arms like a crazy person and raise my voice at a celebrity. As soon as she turned to look at me, I say right back down... and calmly said, "Hiiiii." ...

After this, she moved down the line and asked a guy if he knew the song and bantered with him for a few seconds. Afterwards, she said something about going back to pick me because I was a girl. Then, she invited me up on stage.

I sat there for a moment, stunned. Then the backup singer motioned for me to get up. I shot up out of my chair as my heart leaped up past my throat and started beating in my ears. I don't really remember what happened between the box and when I first set foot onstage except that there was now a microphone in my hand.

Kristin had no idea what was to come. And that's pretty much where the video picks up.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via jmg)

The following clip is one that has gone viral and shows Horn going up on stage as well but the one above has a better shot of the moment:

Horn's full account of the experience is HERE.

Comments

1. Amazing! I adore Kristen even more now. No wonder she's a icon for gay boys everywhere...

Posted by: dam846201 | Aug 25, 2013 4:56:57 PM

2. LOVE her :) a genuinely kind, incredibly talented, beautiful, disciplined, humble artist.

Even if you don't enjoy Wicked, she's done many other great Broadway shows, operas, films, etc. And with all that, she's an incredible LGBT ally, all while remaining true to her faith- which sends a signal that you don't have to give up on faith to be kind and/or just not be mean to gay people.

Posted by: scott | Aug 25, 2013 5:12:34 PM

3. Susan Boyle syndrome. Is this one really random?

Posted by: GB | Aug 25, 2013 5:13:31 PM

4. This has made my day - just a great story...beautiful!!

Posted by: Steve | Aug 25, 2013 5:22:12 PM

5. This kind of stuff makes me smile more than just about anything else on here. :)

Posted by: Rich | Aug 25, 2013 5:56:11 PM

6. Jeez, you'd think this was a big deal.

There are plenty of people in the world who are talented performers that just aren't famous for whatever reason. Every black church choir in the country has at least one. They can't all be Aretha Franklin-famous.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 25, 2013 6:00:01 PM

7. Wow, Jerry, does nothing move you?

Posted by: Travis | Aug 25, 2013 6:18:50 PM

8. @GB You're right. Everything is a preplanned conspiracy. Go back to drooling over Lady Gaga and her contrived nonsense.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Aug 25, 2013 6:19:26 PM

9. wow that song is AWFUL lol jesus.. how the hell do people listen to this crap..

Posted by: jackJake | Aug 25, 2013 6:22:54 PM

10. If ever there was a time for "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", this is it. There's a huge difference between singing in church and singing in front of 10,000+ people with in a duet with a Tony winner.

Posted by: alex | Aug 25, 2013 6:26:25 PM

11. Awesome moment!!! Love the song. Love the singers.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 25, 2013 6:48:00 PM

12. That was truly lovely. 'Twould warm the cockles of the coldest heart.

P.S. Look to Russia: the LGBTQIA community cannot afford the luxury of being petty and mean. Please don't waste your valuable time and freedom being as malicious as those who delight in our pain.

Posted by: John | Aug 25, 2013 6:50:18 PM

13. This reminded me of this Micheal Buble concert moment:

Nice to see some of the talent in the audience!

Posted by: Robert in SF | Aug 25, 2013 6:55:34 PM

14. One of those moments in life where it all comes together beautifully.

Posted by: gerry | Aug 25, 2013 7:07:41 PM

15. After seeing Cirque du Soleil, where every random person pulled from the audience is a plant, I was suspicious. But I guess not.

So, does this now become a Susan Boyle moment. Does she get an
    invitation to sing on the Tonight Show, etc?

Posted by: gr8guya | Aug 25, 2013 7:13:10 PM

16. That made me so happy!

Posted by: Critifur | Aug 25, 2013 7:19:37 PM

17. If you check You Tube you will see many different 'random' audience members joining Kristen from previous concerts and every one of them nail it. The concert I saw in Chicago was the same. Maybe they're regular people, but they're not randomly selected in the moment.

Posted by: James | Aug 25, 2013 7:29:40 PM

18. The same thing happened at her Saturday show at the Bowl. The woman was a musical theater major from Boston. She wasn't perfect, but was good.

Posted by: E. Thor Carlson | Aug 25, 2013 8:03:38 PM

19. Kristin's people invite people beforehand to have a shot at it, but they don't know anything about their talent level or anything else. They just pray that the people actually know then song as they say they do and hope for the best. After you see this a few times and hear it go awry you know when you see a moment like this that it is really special.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 25, 2013 8:35:44 PM

20. The random part is suspect. What would be the point of having some dufus try to belt out a song they never heard before?

Posted by: anon | Aug 25, 2013 9:46:55 PM

21. Quicksilver: I despise Lady Gaga and always have. GFY!

Posted by: GB | Aug 25, 2013 10:07:41 PM

22. oh shut up ALEX.. take ur melodrama to the 700 club.. this song, and music like it is awful, plain and simple. it's a bunch of repressed people who need overly maudlin, absurdly generic music to make them feel something..

Posted by: jackJake | Aug 25, 2013 10:59:50 PM

23. This is my type of news and entertainment. Bravo!!!!

Posted by: JAMES B. | Aug 25, 2013 11:51:08 PM

24. The only thing that has me a little suspicious is the harmony. I suppose it's possible that she was such a fan of the show that she knew it well enough and was a practiced singer (in general) enough to do that well... but even so, they were nearly perfect in the harmony parts and that stuff -- even for professionals -- usually takes at least a little practice.

Then again, I can't say that I haven't joined in spontaneously with others singing and sang in harmony. Rarely. It's very, very hard.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 25, 2013 11:53:06 PM

25. pretty awesome. The only thing a bit sad about this is that someone like Kesha or Britney who can't sing make millions and this talented woman will have to settle for this one shot at glory (albeit which was brilliant).

Posted by: turrino | Aug 26, 2013 1:10:24 AM