Bradley Manning | Chelsea Manning | News | Transgender

CNN Panelist: Chelsea Manning Can Get 'Good Practice' as a Woman at Fort Leavenworth — VIDEO

Herman

CNN panelist and attorney Richard Herman thinks prison will be a positive experience for Chelsea Manning because it will provide "good practice" for being a woman:

"If he wants to be Chelsea, he can practice all he wants at Fort Leavenworth, cause those guys are there for a long time. So he can get good practice and when he gets out, he can get the operation, or whatever, and he can pay for it."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Who cares? Old news.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 24, 2013 5:43:50 PM

2. In other words, he's claiming Ft. Leavenworth won't protect Manning from getting repeatedly raped - which, after all, is what being a woman is all about. What a tool.

Posted by: Lymis | Aug 24, 2013 5:58:02 PM

3. Lol! I like this guy.

I think humor and mockery are the best responses to trans activist craziness. They can prattle on with their bizarre demands. They can invent new words like zie and zir and cis. They can even try to brand gay people as LGBT and demand that gay people do their bidding.

Posted by: Dana | Aug 24, 2013 6:00:29 PM

4. Fire this repulsive pos.

Posted by: sundayboy | Aug 24, 2013 6:02:29 PM

5. I think that Manning deserves the prison sentence he got. I KNOW that Richard Herman's comment tells us that he is a vulgar man. His comment might be understandable, if made in a bar to some pals after a few drinks. It is not the kind of comment made by a respectable person on CNN. He should not be invited back again as a paid "talking head".

Posted by: andrew | Aug 24, 2013 6:07:17 PM

6. This used to be an interesting and informative site, but now it is almost completely geared toward transsexual issues. Buh bye.

Posted by: enough | Aug 24, 2013 6:13:01 PM

7. In russia, nazis are raping gay men (for some odd reason, they think being a gay rapoist is better then being gay).
    I thought USA was a little better than that. But obviosly there are plenty of people who think that some human beings deserves to be raped, just because they are different.

Repulsive.

Posted by: Niklas Starow | Aug 24, 2013 6:22:43 PM

8. Almost all of the coverage of Chelsea's gender identity has made my skin crawl. So many scumbags saying such ignorant, vile and hateful things and going completely unchecked.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 24, 2013 6:56:08 PM

9. Nobody deserves to be raped. Substitute anyone else's name with Chelsea Manning's name and the person saying that would never, ever appear on CNN again. But it is still fine to condone the rape of a trans person, right?

Posted by: homer | Aug 24, 2013 6:57:12 PM

10. @ENOUGH

"This used to be an interesting and informative site, but now it is almost completely geared toward Caca issues. Buh bye"

We can't win the fight for EQUALITY if we don't include trans.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Aug 24, 2013 7:03:09 PM

11. I think that Manning deserves the prison sentence he got. I KNOW that Richard Herman's comment tells us that he is a vulgar man. His comment might be understandable, if made in a bar to some pals after a few drinks. It is not the kind of comment made by a respectable person on CNN. He should not be invited back again as a paid "talking head".

POSTED BY: ANDREW | AUG 24, 2013 6:07:17 PM

I agree completely. That comment was unacceptable.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 24, 2013 7:23:43 PM

12. What's it like to be a trans person before gender reassignment? I can't say exactly from my own life experience as a gay man, but I do recall how uncomfortable I felt so very often before I came out. To me, it seems, if you take just your one most humiliating experience you as an LGB person had to endure before coming out, my guess is that feeling trapped inside a body that is not your heart and mind's gender must be a million times worse, not just once but each and every day. For any member of the still-oppressed worldwide LGBTI population, to bad mouth out of sheer ignorance and lack of empathy any other oppressed minority than your own Private Idaho is unforgivable, ugly and unworthy of any oppressed person whose oppression is based on immutable traits. Anti-trans lesbians, bisexuals and gays (I can't even understand why I have to state this on this "homosexual tendencies" website!) should have their heads examined, seriously, in a good productive way. Perhaps then their internalized self-loathing won't be hurtfully transferred upon other folks just trying to live the best lives that they can. Isn't that fundamental to being an American?

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Aug 24, 2013 7:48:36 PM

13. Richard Herman's e-mail: rbh@richardbherman.com

Posted by: JFE | Aug 24, 2013 7:49:59 PM

14. While I NEVER agree with anything that is spouted by the A*holes at Fox "news" I do have to say that I find it repulsive that Bradley Manning claims that he leaked documents to that site because he has gender identity issues. I also do not feel that it should be up to taxpayers to pay for his sex change operation or hormone therapy while he is in prison. One thing that I can agree with that was said, if he wants to transition he should pay for it, like every other transgender person does.

Posted by: crazycorgi | Aug 24, 2013 7:57:50 PM

15. I'm sorry, no matter how vulgar his comments, he does have somewhat of a point. Manning decides he has gender issues after being caught? No, I'm sorry but you will not use the system this way under any circumstance. Before anything else he had a "CHOICE" as to right and wrong, he "CHOSE" to do the wrong thing. How dare he blame it on gender identity problems! His reason was simple: Treason.

Posted by: Wake up!!! | Aug 24, 2013 8:04:00 PM

16. @THOMAS CARDELLINO:

You really ought to be ashamed of yourself. Directly comparing gay men with transsexuals is a longstanding homophobic argument. And claiming that gay people form a single population with hermaphrodites only further exposes your mindset as one of the 19th century, not the 21st century.

Please stop promoting ancient lies about gay people.

Posted by: Harris | Aug 24, 2013 8:04:47 PM

17. I do find it repulsive and shocking to encounter such vitriol here against black and trans folks...it does seem to be the nastiest stuff here is directed at those two groups. Maybe I shouldn't be shocked...it takes me back to my youth when I was shocked to encounter racism in the LGBT community when I came out...or that there wasn't a warm and welcoming "community" when I came out. My last hold out was at least there was LESS racism or misogyny in LGBT world....ha ha! Yes, I'm old, & I suspect it's better for today's youth, but the comments here are disgusting and WE CAN DO BETTER (trolls notwithstanding).

Posted by: Rocco | Aug 24, 2013 8:30:00 PM

18. "...But in truth they are just a tiny band of nuts. A few hundred thug activists representing a very tiny population. Don't appease them. Laugh at them.

POSTED BY: DANA..."

In Truth? My red chaffed ass, pal. My self, My husband, our friends a family will stand between your latest 'Canon' and stop you from tormenting another minority in this country, you tea-bagging troll.

Its LGBT BECAUSE we say it is. And it needs to be until fools like you die off.

YOU ARE THE BAND OF THUGS.

Take your crazy elsewhere, troll.

Posted by: dean | Aug 24, 2013 8:43:32 PM

19. Dear uniquely proud "Mr." Harris, sir: You are a mess. Please seek out that therapy before it's too late to live a hate-free life in your twilight years. It will be like coming out all over again. I promise you.
    As to the "ancient" nature of what you call lies, transsexuals suffered undiagnosed way before and ever since the dawn of psychiatry. As to the 19th century (which, I'm just guessing as a 60-year-old myself, was the century of your birth and the origins of your personal experience) the lesbian and gay folks in the modern world should keep in mind that they, too, went misdiagnosed for over a century before the truth overcame personal prejudices, humiliating social raids and imprisonment, as well as completely uninvestigated torture and murders . Prejudices, you know "Mr." Harris, one of your (probably many) misguided obsessions. Please don't bother to defend me and my being a gay man. You make me feel like a Jew might have felt looking at his World War One medals from the German Army while his home was being ransacked by the rife-with-self-loathing-gays thugs called the Nazi Brown Shirts! Kindly speak for your self and not me or my many much more empathetic than you LGBTI friends.

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Aug 24, 2013 8:44:49 PM

20. Prison rape is such a great subject for humor, bet Richie really knocks 'em out with dead baby jokes too. What is a moron like that doing on CNN? Did Faux fire him?

Posted by: Onnyjay | Aug 24, 2013 8:56:18 PM

21. Ha ha. This is no joke. Let everyone apply their perverted sexual imagination to the situation.

Posted by: JC | Aug 24, 2013 9:10:12 PM

22. Sad.

And not very cosmic AT ALL.

Posted by: PookiePoo | Aug 24, 2013 9:20:43 PM

23. I actually think this guy is funny. Betray our nation- rot in a jail cell Mister Bradley Chelsea She he tranny manning

Posted by: Jimmy | Aug 24, 2013 10:16:45 PM

24. I feel for the trans community but let Glen Greenwald and Julian Ass_suck pay for Missy's new pussy.

Posted by: Herman | Aug 24, 2013 10:20:03 PM

25. THOMAS CARDELLINO:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am 33 years younger than you. So I think you are a lot closer to the twilight years than I. However, unlike you, I don't take pleasure in other peoples' aging and death and, even though we have a disagreement, I would never taunt you about your age and health. Because decent people don't do things like that.

In any event, you are right. Transgender people *were* misdiagnosed years ago. They were misdiagnosed as homosexuals. And homosexuals, in the early 20th century were branded as part of a "third sex." In other words, in the past when stereotypes and misconceptions abounded, LGB and T were conflated and grouped together. That is exactly what you do today.

Back in the 19th and early 20th century, the perpetrators of these errors could claim ignorance. They didn't know any better. But you do. And yet you push these harmful stereotypes anyway. Shame on you. The injuries that you inflict on gay and lesbian youth are on your head.

Posted by: Harris | Aug 24, 2013 10:35:02 PM