Lady Gaga | Music | News

Lady Gaga: 'I'm Not a French Fry, I'm Foie Gras' — VIDEO

Flick_gaga

Lady Gaga spoke with Sirius OutQ host Larry Flick about her intentions behind ARTPOP, "Applause", fame, and the lack of respect for artists these days:

"This incessant negative force that's being charged at every celebrity, every artist. It's sad because there is an element of respect that's been lost - for the performer. People are not...grateful anymore,. It used to be a very unique and blessed experience to be able to experience theater and tbe able o see it and only the most highest class people in Shakespearean times would be let into the theater and everyone else would have to watch it in the square. Nobody feels that way anymore. It's so easily accessible on the internet that it's treated like McDonald's. It's treated like trash. And so to get back to your earlier question, I'm not a french fry. I'm foie gras. And some people don't like it. But that's just who I am."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The more she speaks, the more fake she sounds.

Posted by: Adamn | Aug 28, 2013 8:58:25 AM

2. Did she just piss on us poor groundlings?

Posted by: Gus | Aug 28, 2013 9:10:52 AM

3. "The more she speaks, the more fake she sounds."

The more usernames you create, the more fake you sound.

Turnabout is fair play, betch.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2013 9:19:02 AM

4. self-important much?

Posted by: stephen | Aug 28, 2013 9:23:53 AM

5. I'm not a Gaga fan but she has a point. I'm so tired of paying a hefty sum to attend a live performance only to be seated behind someone who talks the entire time. Where's the respect? Do us all a favor and stay at home.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 28, 2013 9:23:55 AM

6. Ah, yes, Gus. I was just coming here to comment on her inaccurate statement about Elizabethan theatre.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 28, 2013 9:24:35 AM

7. @matt, that would be respect for the audience.

Umm, why the hell does Lady Gaga or any musician deserve my respect? What the hell did they do that is so great? Music is not that hard to make and if pop has taught us anything, it's that if you repeat a song enough it becomes liked and popular. Top all that off with an almost constant look into celebrities seedy, useless lives.

I don't auto-respect some chick who writes a couple of songs a year and charges the masses money for her precious art and the privilege of seeing her.

Decorum is a totally acceptable thing to ask for, we could always use a bit more.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 28, 2013 9:28:48 AM

8. Gaga needs to take a history course if she thinks Shakespeare (or any theatrical performance) was for the elites. The notion of sitting quietly at the opera or a play, wearing you finest apparel is historically speaking, a rather recent development.

Posted by: LiamB | Aug 28, 2013 9:31:14 AM

9. I thought ordering "foie gras" in a restaurant these days was as acceptable as lighting up a ciggie. Well, maybe her usage is apt. She's over. People are bored.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 28, 2013 9:44:43 AM

10. "WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE ME THE RESPECT THAT I'M ENTITLED TO?!"

Posted by: luminum | Aug 28, 2013 9:52:31 AM

11. So many of these comments absolutely prove the point she is trying to make. The Internet and mainstream media are such an enormous sounding board for everyone's opinion and so much of opinion is negative. It's not enough to choose not to like or listen to a performer, these days everyone has to have a strong opinion about everyone. Why? Just move on to something else rather than venting your negativity on people that like it. It's just another form of bullying.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 28, 2013 9:58:03 AM

12. She has no idea what she's talking about.

I like her less the more she speaks.

Posted by: Paul Bunion | Aug 28, 2013 9:59:38 AM

13. I'm not a huge fan lately, but from a business perspective she sees what few others see: if the market is flooded with product, you have to set yourself apart. She's a very talented musician, but the world is full of talented musicians. All of the costumes and, to a limited extent her persona, set her apart and make her stand out. Love her or hate her, but if you want to buy her product at least you'll know it's there.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 28, 2013 10:01:20 AM

14. Interestingly, I just read the new Spin magazine cover story about Trent Reznor, and he makes the same point, albeit in far different language.

Twitter and social media, and in particular the anonymity one is afforded online, has turned everyone into assholes.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2013 10:11:33 AM

15. I really like her VMA performance; her statements here, not so much. Stick to singing and dancing, girl.

Posted by: Jem (truly outrageous) | Aug 28, 2013 10:15:36 AM

16. "Twitter and social media, and in particular the anonymity one is afforded online, has turned everyone into assholes"

"Everyone"? Nah, don't buy that at all.

What's changed in the music business since I started listening to pop music (1967) is that bands/performers are expected to be "on" 24/7/365, to always be doing stuff on Facebook/Twitter etc. [old man on porch voice] In *my* day, a lot of bands/performers disappeared when they weren't promoting an album or on tour and you didn't burn out on them so quickly, they actually had an air of mystery.

Now, I know more than I want to about people like Gaga, even though I'm not a fan at all, just because she's a constant on the gay blogs I go to.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 28, 2013 10:27:33 AM

17. The pretentiousness....it burns!

Posted by: Chris | Aug 28, 2013 10:38:02 AM

18. WTF is she talking about ?

Posted by: beaunic | Aug 28, 2013 10:42:06 AM

19. Foie gras?

No, more like Turducken.

Or perhaps one of those nasty bon bons rolled in cocoa powder... bitter and dry on the outside, gooey sweet inside.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 28, 2013 10:43:31 AM

20. @Henry Holland: You should read the Reznor interview. He says exactly what you described:

"I've had the experience over the last few years of liking bands, and then checking what they're up to on Tumblr or something, and immediately realizing, 'This is you?' F--k.' I don't want my personality to get in the way of what I'm trying to do musically."

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2013 10:47:49 AM

21. Wow, she is so misinformed about Elizabethan theater. It was raucous and crass and the audience routinely participated in the play, shouting comments and engaging with the actors. Performers were not on pedestals. Quite the contrary. It was a low-life, low status profession, probably on par with whoring.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Aug 28, 2013 11:16:46 AM

22. Dear Lady Gaga:

I have liked some of your music, but overall I have found it derivative and uninteresting. If you want to be taken seriously as an artist, then work a little harder on the actual music. Sniping at your critics doesn't make your music any better. I don't owe you anything. Do something worth my time and I'll listen.

Sincerely,
    HT

Posted by: Houndentenor | Aug 28, 2013 11:20:40 AM

23. overrated...very!

Posted by: Johnny | Aug 28, 2013 11:35:18 AM

24. She's mangling a very interesting point -- everybody had become a vocal critic because the internet allows people to do so, both anonymously and otherwise.

But I wish she wouldn't have used classism as an example for her valid points of view on scrutiny.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 28, 2013 11:57:52 AM