Bullying | Education | Gay Slurs | Gay Stories | Gay Youth | Indiana | News

Gay Indiana Teen Fears for Life After Being Bullied, Beaten on School Bus: VIDEO

Fox 59 Reports

A gay Indiana teen fears for his life after a disturbing incident aboard a school bus. The alleged incident took place last Thursday, during a bus ride home from Southport High School in Perry Township, Indiana. The victim, identified solely as "W.R." by Fox 59 News, has reportedly experienced repeated harassment by classmates ever since coming out some years ago. “It freaks me out. I’m anxious all the time,” he said. "Whenever I’m at school I’m scared. I don’t want to be hurt."

Things reportedly escalated last Thursday, however, when two bullies were picking on a friend and he intervened. The bullies then turned their attention to him and began using anti-gay slurs. Shortly after that, the slurs became threats. “Whenever we neared my stop, they were talking about how they wanted to get off the bus and ‘beat my a--,’” said W.R. As he went to leave, one of the bullies blocked his path. That's when the situation began to get physical:

"I tried to push him out of the way, just to be able to get off the bus,” W.R. said. “And if he was going to try and harm me, just to run home...He grabbed me by the backpack, pulled me into a chokehold, put me into one of the seats...He punched me three times, and then put me into a chokehold and strangled me for a good 10 seconds."

WR Describes incidentW.R. reportedly suffered bruises to his neck, mouth, and face. Nevertheless, both students were kicked off the bus that day. W.R.'s mother rushed her son to the hospital immediately after he returned home. She then called police to notify them of the incident. She also asked the school district to supply footage of the incident from the school bus' standard-issue surveillance camera. The district subsequently denied the request, saying that “The video camera on the bus was inoperable at the time," and that said footage does not exist.

The victim's mother calls the situation "deplorable", adding that:

"My child was strangled on the bus. My child was beaten and strangled. He could not breathe... My son is now fearful, not only for being beat, but he’s fearful for his life. I don’t want to see another child—not just mine—another child hurt. This needs to stop."

When asked for a comment by Fox 59, the Perry Township School District acknowledged the incident, saying that: “Bus suspensions were merited for both students. In addition, a police report has been filed, no arrests have been made.” Both students have reportedly been assigned separate bus routes in the wake of the incident. The incident is also currently under investigation by local police.

Watch FOX59's report (warning: autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. SUE THEM INTO THE GROUND.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 21, 2013 3:50:08 PM

2. This experience brought to you by the hate spread by hate groups such as the FRC, NOM, and AFA inciting anti-gay terrorism.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 21, 2013 3:51:30 PM

3. I have never understood schools' whole "blame the victim" approach to bullying, especially when bullying becomes physical.

Posted by: Rich F. | Aug 21, 2013 3:53:32 PM

4. Fix the cameras and fix your homophobia.

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 21, 2013 3:57:47 PM

5. This is never ending.

Posted by: HT | Aug 21, 2013 3:58:16 PM

6. Sue. Sh*t is ridiculous. They need to be named [school officials, and the punks who jumped the kid] and the school district needs to be sued. It's the only language they understand.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 21, 2013 4:00:10 PM

7. So sad.

Posted by: Matt27 | Aug 21, 2013 4:03:51 PM

8. Where was the bus driver?

Posted by: Bob | Aug 21, 2013 4:04:11 PM

9. Every year at this time, as kids head back to school, we are reminded of the bullying that out teens and those perceived to be LGBT face. Unfortunately, we'll see these stories weekly until next summer *smh*

Good for the mother to stand up for her kid. She should get him in a more accepting school environment, if possible, so that he can have a safer and less anxiety prone teenage experience. And if those bullies are not legally prosecuted, they should be suspended from school, not just the bus route. This should be visible on their school record if/when they apply to colleges.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 21, 2013 4:10:15 PM

10. what a terrific ad for being straight...geez! I can't wait to be heterosexual! Where do I go to sign up to beat on some helpless kid?! They're sooooo coool!

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 21, 2013 4:13:00 PM

11. Does anyone seriously believe that the bus cameras weren't working? Just another way for the school to escape responsibility.

Posted by: Continuum | Aug 21, 2013 4:13:18 PM

12. ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Posted by: Brad Doles | Aug 21, 2013 4:18:20 PM

13. Agree with Bob.

Where the hell was the bus driver and why did they not intervene, at least by blocking those kids path to the victim, if not doing something else (like throwing them bodily off the bus!).

I realize that this will make me sound like the old guy on the porch, but in my day you could NEVER get away with that kind of crap, the bus driver would stop the bus in the middle of the street and be on you in a flash with a can of whoop ass!

Posted by: johnny | Aug 21, 2013 4:18:29 PM

14. Separate bus routes ? There are children in other countries who hike up up miles of narrow mountain paths, tightrope across rivers, climb rickety ladders, swing across valleys to get to schools and these bullies get another bus routes ?!!

Posted by: AndyTowlette | Aug 21, 2013 4:22:56 PM

15. These bullies should be thrown under the bus. Literally. And after that, the bus should go back and forth to flatten them. That's social justice.

Death to homophobes.

Posted by: Queer Supremacist | Aug 21, 2013 4:54:37 PM

16. Does anyone seriously believe that the bus cameras weren't working? Just another way for the school to escape responsibility.

Posted by: Continuum | Aug 21, 2013 4:13:18 PM
    ---------------------------------------

Not for a second...

Posted by: theotherlee | Aug 21, 2013 5:57:30 PM

17. The schism is, that more LGBT teens are coming out. That's a good thing. They see more influences, role models, and want to live an out, open life. The bad thing is that society hasn't quite progressed to the point where being LGBT is embraced by the masses at large, especially in Indiana. So teens are coming out more readily, but it's almost like open season on them. It's been proven homophobic slurs are both the most common and the most hurtful form of insults across the board.

This school and the bus driver need to be sued if they do not step in and protect this teen.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 21, 2013 6:01:16 PM

18. Oh, puhlease.
    First, they erased the tapes.
    Second, why is the victim being punished?
    She needs to sue and the police need to do their jobs.

Posted by: enough already | Aug 21, 2013 6:12:24 PM

19. A friend of mine told me that when he was in school, he was bullied constantly by a group of other students. Both him and the bully would get sent to the principal, but because this gang always rotated who did the bullying, it was always my friend with a different guy. So the principal blamed my friend, since he appeared to be the common denominator. :-(

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Aug 21, 2013 6:24:46 PM

20. Francis, I think you're absolutely right about how visibility is escalating it (in the short run at least). When I was a kid, other kids (and my brother) called me a fag, but they didn't really believe it because no one even knew any gay people. They were actually shocked when I finally came out years later. But nowadays, kids have had more exposure and actually do believe that some of their classmates might actually be gay.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Aug 21, 2013 6:28:55 PM

21. Southport High School better get it's act together!

Posted by: reality | Aug 21, 2013 6:43:37 PM

22. Jesus. This is where I went to high school. I thought it was better than this.

Posted by: Chris S. | Aug 21, 2013 7:10:46 PM

23. Victim of the hour. The Joy of Gay Life.

Posted by: CF | Aug 21, 2013 7:46:03 PM

24. Parents of good kids need to pull them out of the public schools. The public schools are danger zones and the government and "activists" like Al Sharpton are doing their best to keep them that way. This has been going on for 40 years.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 21, 2013 9:10:26 PM

25. Over reacting to bullying like this as HAGATHA suggests: "Parents of good kids need to pull them out of the public schools" is RIDICULOUS. This is the same guy who wants to stop all humanitarian aid to Africa because of some of the bad things happening there. Obviously bullying is a serious problem in some schools and must be effectively dealt with. At the same time people should realize that their are thousands of good public schools in the USA and hundreds of thousands of good dedicated teachers and staff in those schools. Intelligent people attempt to fix problems not blow things up.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 22, 2013 1:20:49 AM