Comments

1. Mike Ryan says

That’s so sad. Everyone deserves to marry the person they love. I would have asked her to indicate on the application her denial and sign it – just to humiliate her. Yes, I know she is just a clerk working for the State of Tennessee but the humiliation is the price you pay when working for bigots. Look at how Tennessee has just humiliated Will and Jeff? Nail their sorry a**es guys!

2. HadenoughBS says

And that’s what I especially hate about the South…from here in Texas to there in Tennessee. We LGBT couples get absolutely no respect – legal or otherwise – from all forms of governments within our respective states. Yep, it’ll take the courts to get us the equal rights we deserve. I’m all for it happening ASAP.

3. Hey Darlin' says

It is sad that Tennessee is attempting to be progressive in so many modern areas but unfortunately the true character of the state shines through in instances such as this. If Tennessee is going to lure big business to the state it better get with the modern times, employees are looking for equal benefits for them and their partner in todays marketplace. Their are too many welcoming neighbors to the north, even just a state away, to continue to blatantly discriminate.

4. Hey Darlin' says

Change is occuring in pockets of the state where equality is becoming ever more desirable. Collegedale is one great example, there are people who NEVER thought a small city based heavily in the Southern Adventist religion would vote for LGBT equality, and yet there they are, the first to do so. I’m proud of them, it’s a nice shakeup.

One of the main issues isn’t the mindset of the population, as shown above. Instead it’s that politics has been corrupt for generations in the south.

5. northalabama says

this type of change will only come to the south in my lifetime by federal legislation, period. i’ve lived in the south all my life, and i love the diversity of most everyone i associate with.

that said, a vast majority are bigots, one way or another, whether it’s due to tradition, teaching, religion, political beliefs, etc. it’s not limited to ethnic background by any means, or limited to the south, either, for that matter.

6. Kev C says

Stupid. They should no better than to challenge the law. These laws are there for a reason. But you intolerant liberals would never understand that. I don’t know why I even bother.

7. scott says

@ Mike Ryan- humiliate her? Yeah, you might want to change your attitude, cuz I def know quite a few straight allies who would be turned off by your statements. It’s not her fault Southern culture is homophobic. She’s not choosing to implement the law- sha HAS TO. And while I believe fiercely in marriage equality, and I donated as much as I could to Minnesota United for their marriage equality fight, it isn’t the same as segregation in the 1960’s. So different tactics are probably better.

That poor lady needs a job. It’s not like she’s a guard in a concentration camp, or even working for Bull Connor. I can’t remember which state or incident it was, but the couple being filmed reminded the clerk nicely they had called ahead, and while they didn’t want to be difficult, they wanted to make a statement. I think where that’s possible, that’s a good practice.