Johnny Weir | News | Russia | Sochi Olympics

Johnny Weir Speaks Out About The Possibility Of Getting Arrested At Sochi: VIDEO

Weir

Out gay figure skater Johny Weir recently spoke with CBS News about the Sochi Games and Russia's anti-gay laws, re-iterating his intention to attend the Sochi Games: "Would the Olympics be in Saudi Arabia, in Palestine, in Pyongyang, North Korea, on Mars, I would go because that's what I'm trained to do and that's what I've devoted my life to."

Weir also commented on the prospect of getting arrested due to Russia's strict yet vague anti-gay laws:

"Like anyone I'm afraid of being arrested but also I'm not afraid of being arrested... If it takes me getting arrested for people to pay attention and for people to lobby against this law then I'm willing to take it."

Earlier today columnist and activist Andrew Sullivan espoused the necessity of gay civil disobediance at the 2014 Olympic games, urging people to disobey Putin's regime, get arrested and showcase the Russian government's true colors.

Watch Weir's full interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Got to give Johnny credit for being a "real queer" Not one of the thousands of fem haters.

Posted by: Barnie | Aug 12, 2013 10:35:56 PM

2. I suspected he was gay last Olympics, but I am thrilled to hear that he is out and got balls the size of Siberia! Love him!!! Totally love him!!!

Posted by: bravo | Aug 12, 2013 10:36:58 PM

3. At least he's doing that, "Brian." What the hell are YOU doing besides whining on here?

Posted by: J Y | Aug 12, 2013 10:47:47 PM

4. I'll be rooting for Johnny now more than any other athlete. Winning a medal and standing loud and proud on the podium will be a big slap in the face to the scum who are spreading their hatred.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 12, 2013 11:31:17 PM

5. If Johnny Weir thinks he will make a difference in Sochi, arrested or not, he needs to look no further than Jesse Owens in 1936. Did Owens' gold medal performance in front of Hitler change anything in Nazi Germany? Nope. I commend Owens for being a real stand-up guy, and for how well he did in the '36 games, especially considering the circumstances, but if anyone thinks GLBT athletes in the Sochi games will make a difference in Russia, I believe they're sadly mistaken. I'd love to be proved wrong, and also would love to think at least a few within the IOC are sweating like whores in church right now.

Posted by: KC | Aug 12, 2013 11:43:10 PM

6. news stations need to also cover the fact that there is anti-gay abuse and murder of teens that the police and government refuse to do anything about. (Specifically the online anti-gay predators) That's one of THE sickest things happening in russia now.

Posted by: Reality | Aug 13, 2013 12:04:37 AM

7. No one has mentioned judging....it brings to thought, for example, Johnny Weir is gay, judges will know he is gay, the Russian judge intuitively/politically could mark him low no matter how good he is because he is gay. This could happen elsewhere too, but with the spotlight on Russia's human rights, will their judging be impartial?

Posted by: CB | Aug 13, 2013 1:07:24 AM

8. Time to move the Olympics.

Would we even be diecussing this if it was ANY other minority group?

Only gays and lesbians are abused by the IOC and USOC in this manner.

Time to speak up for ALL in the LGBT including those in Russia.

Posted by: louis | Aug 13, 2013 1:19:55 AM

9. Go get em Johnny. A few of my friends met Johnny at an LGBT Out skating party and said what a great guy he is. He stayed for the entire event and it was never too much trouble to sign endless autographs and have his picture taken with almost everyone.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 13, 2013 2:00:49 AM

10. Russian propagandists at Voice of Russia) are already using Weirs' public pronouncements to spin Russia's abuse of its LGBT citizens.

Posted by: aksarbent | Aug 13, 2013 2:03:32 AM

11. I appreciate his courage and his commitment, but I think its putting too much unnecessary pressure on gay athletes to hold the games in Sochi.

Move the games!

Posted by: Matte | Aug 13, 2013 2:42:39 AM

12. I wonder how many funerals Weir plans to attend while he is over there? Just more gibberish to try and mask the fact-that the only interest these athletes have is getting to Russia as quickly as possible, leaving as quickly as possible and winning as many medals as they can thereby increasing their bank accounts. Beside which NBC has made it very clear it will not be addressing the issue of lgbt persecution in Russia. More camoflauge.

y

Posted by: Molc | Aug 13, 2013 2:49:43 AM

13. @AKSARBENT

I'm baffled at how Russians justify their flawed law as a protection for "immature sexuality". Where is the law that protects gay teens from heterosexual propaganda?

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 13, 2013 3:11:26 AM

14. Imagine if there was an anti-Jew law in Russia. Would Johnny Weir still want to compete there?

This Russian situation is developing into the gay version of Krystallnacht. Any person who competes at Sochi is a party to Krystallnacht.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 13, 2013 4:27:44 AM

15. But, Johnny, you may not need to kiss your spouse after a great performance, but you may WANT to, and you should be able to just like anyone else without being arrested!
    What's the difference between how you'd be hiding and how, say, a Jew in Nazi Germany would tuck his star of David necklace inside his shirt (or not wear it) so as not to advertise his religion?

Posted by: Book | Aug 13, 2013 5:53:09 AM

16. This interview increased my confidence in Johnny. His interview last week with Blake left me wanting more defiance and protest. It sounds like he's taking a stronger stance now and I give him props.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 13, 2013 7:57:13 AM

17. Johnny Weir has stated quite clearly that he is not going to protest while at Sochi.

He pretends that his presence in Russia is sufficient protest.

That makes him an Uncle Tom scumbag who will happily collaborate with fascist oppression of LGBT people in his greed for a medal.

He is a vile, hateful, pathetic excuse for a human being.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 13, 2013 8:26:06 AM

18. Johnny Weir has stated quite clearly that he is not going to protest while at Sochi.

He pretends that his presence in Russia is sufficient protest.

He is a vile, hateful, pathetic excuse for a human being.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 13, 2013 8:26:06 AM

19. Die sockpuppet,die!

Die troll, die!

There, I got that out of my system.

=============

@David,

Why would I condemn or ridicule Weir for the stance he took?

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 13, 2013 8:32:39 AM

20. i hope he will reconsider his propensity to wear Russian propaganda on his back. does he really support what they are and what they are doing? presumably not so why wear Russian gear, particularly after crackdown?

Posted by: Cd in Dc | Aug 13, 2013 8:56:33 AM

21. There is no guarantee that Weir will be on the US Olympic team, he has to place in the National championships in January, The USFSA has total control over who will represent this country.There also is politics involved with their judging system, it might be easier to select alternate athletes for the men's team, one less problem for the USOC not to have to deal with, there are other skaters in the top positions to be considered.

Posted by: EJC | Aug 13, 2013 1:48:29 PM

22. Good for Johnny ... But while he may be attending the games, I don't think he'll be competing in them. ... Aren't there only two (maybe three) spots open for men's figure skating? I'm guessing Max Aaron and Ross Miner will be competing for team USA.

Posted by: Fox | Aug 13, 2013 4:53:52 PM

23. I don't remember anyone demanding that we not go to China, and their laws are hardly limited in their harshness to gay people. The Russians would love for us to stay home. Seems to me that the better move would be to go and dare them to do anything about it.

PS- The Chinese wouldn't even let Taiwan compete under their national name and flag, and would not allow the English athletes to fly the St George's Cross.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 13, 2013 10:50:18 PM