Lady Gaga | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga Unleashes 'Applause': AUDIO

6a00d8341c730253ef01901ea26e6a970b-800wi

After her new single leaked last week, Lady Gaga decided to officially release her new single early.

Put your paws up and listen to "Applause" AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I've never heard of "Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart" ... 27 years was before I was born. Sorry, history lesson over.

Posted by: Reality | Aug 12, 2013 11:55:39 PM

2. Not bad. I'm digging it.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Aug 12, 2013 11:56:31 PM

3. I agree with Josh. Cyndi Lauper's Bring Ya To The Brink was an amazing dance album.

To me, this song is just eh. The chorus is pretty fun, but the verses aren't very good. Her voice in the verses reminds me of another singer, but I can't quite recall who right now.

I miss the Lady Gaga of the Fame era. The Fame was a great debut album. The songs were all fairly standard Top 40 pop, but they were also a bit tongue-in-cheek and displayed Lady Gaga's clear talent. And more importantly, the album was fun!

The Fame Monster was brilliant. Bad Romance is an impressive club thumping anthem that really felt like a natural progression from The Fame. The EP as a whole sounded very fresh and felt almost like Lady Gaga was proclaiming that she is a serious and talented artist and was here to stay.

But then I don't know what happened after that. I don't think Born This Way was a very good album. It wasn't a good sign when she was announcing that Born This Way was gonna be the next big anthem before it was ever released. That sort of thing is organic, not imposed by the artist. Most of the tracks on the album have vague religious references that feel contrived more than cohesive. It was like the total opposite of The Fame, which took a central concept that effortlessly ran through the entire album. The Edge of Glory was great, but the rest are sort of throwaway songs, other than Born This Way. Born This Way is a decent song, but really took on a life of its own due to the bullying issue.

I feel like Lady Gaga is trying to deliver these high concept albums and image, but it ends up feeling forced.

Posted by: John | Aug 13, 2013 12:15:10 AM

4. I like it.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Aug 13, 2013 12:19:54 AM

5. Awful. I think Gaga peaked with Bad Romance. It's been all downhill since then.

Posted by: Paulie | Aug 13, 2013 12:20:46 AM

6. Passable.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 13, 2013 12:33:04 AM

7. Girl can't resist a cheesy "pop" break. No "art" here.

Posted by: brion | Aug 13, 2013 12:35:48 AM

8. This song is a hot mess.. but then again, so is lady gaga.

Posted by: James | Aug 13, 2013 12:48:00 AM

9. at the moment Im listening to Prince's Parade and its better than anything Ive heard being played in the last 10 years. But hes a genius, not a popstar.

Posted by: Lazyccrockett | Aug 13, 2013 2:04:05 AM

10. Funny how people can't like some music because it "was before their time", or how older guys can't like anything new. Strange how people can take pride in being so close-minded and culturally narrow.

As for the song, I don't love it. But maybe it will grow on me.

Posted by: Tranquilo | Aug 13, 2013 2:07:38 AM

11. At first, I was pissed Lady Gaga released this song JUST BECAUSE Katy Perry's Roar is doing great. Now I'm ok with it, however, because Applause is actually better than Roar, which is utterly juvenile and calling out for sports-event-related uses. Pander much, Katy Perry?!

Posted by: Drew | Aug 13, 2013 2:22:24 AM

12. @JOSH—I agree, "Bring Ya to the Brink" is a GREAT album, I never understood why it didn't go farther (wait 20 years, it'll still be around). Every track is listenable, danceable, well produced, and of course there's the constant pleasure of hearing Cyndi sing.

Gaga, well, I just don't get her, way too "manufactured". I know she's talented, but I don't really want to listen to her songs more than once. I've listened to Cyndi's albums over and over since "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (that makes at least 25 years) and never get tired of any of it.

@LUKE—yeah, community college art sums up the image pretty well…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 13, 2013 2:24:43 AM

13. Cool. I like it. Thanks Gaga!

Posted by: Molc | Aug 13, 2013 2:57:26 AM

14. Madonna fans who dont like the song are dimented from all of their HIV meds.

Posted by: Brutaly Yours | Aug 13, 2013 3:04:57 AM

15. It gets better with every listen. The hate for this woman is bizarre, quite pathetic really. If you don't like her, switch off, don't listen. Compared to most of the pop music that goes in the upper echelons of the charts this is well crafted. Posterity clutches copies of True Blue to her bosom forevermore but really we will must all move on. And this is streets ahead of anything Madonna has mustered of late (if they really must be compared)

Posted by: Matt Lindsay | Aug 13, 2013 5:01:18 AM

16. A monumental non talent

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Aug 13, 2013 5:44:26 AM

17. Hmmm. I am a Madonna fan, but I like Gaga's music too. I always felt Gaga had a bit of a pop edge, but this seems very generic to me. Madonna has had plenty of generic stuff too, though that was more recently. I don't know, not a fan of this. But if there are others who like it that's great.

Posted by: Supes81 | Aug 13, 2013 6:27:39 AM

18. I've always considered Gaga to be a guilty pleasure, I don't expect a tremendous amount of depth - just decent vocals and dance ready tracks. During the period of time she was accused of ripping of Madonna I steadfastly defended her - dance music often uses chords and progressions that are cookie cutter and mimic one another HOWEVER this time she has downright thieved upon the experimental Finnish artist HK119 (whom I adore). She has copied her vocal affectation and phrasing, lowered her voice to HK's range, hell - the cover of the single looks like every single one of HK's earlier videos, same smeary make-up, same Little Edie head wrap. I'm a very disappointed little monster indeed.

Posted by: TADPOLICUS WEX | Aug 13, 2013 6:54:51 AM

19. Madonna old aids and herpes infested talentless slag.

Posted by: jeffrey | Aug 13, 2013 7:21:07 AM

20. Put Lene Lovich, Autotune and a Casio keyboard in a blender..and voila!

Posted by: Protogenes | Aug 13, 2013 7:51:52 AM

21. ZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Artflop | Aug 13, 2013 8:18:33 AM

22. Both Lady Gaga and Madonna are fake gay advocates who make music for gay men to shake their fake uteruses to. Fake dancing to fake.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 13, 2013 8:20:20 AM

23. Mediocre, stereotypical club music. She's obviously on her way out, which doesn't make me happy. She had so much potential.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 13, 2013 8:33:20 AM

24. Haters gonna hate but I just love love love no not really but maybe it will grow on me

Posted by: hotbeef801 | Aug 13, 2013 8:48:10 AM

25. Every drag queen in the Midwest is feverishly practicing this number.

Posted by: Grant | Aug 13, 2013 10:09:59 AM