I'm Gay | Lucas Cruikshank | News

Nickelodeon Actor and YouTube Star Lucas Cruikshank: I'm Gay

Cruikshank

Lucas Cruikshank, Nickelodeon actor and star and creator of the popular YouTube series Fred, came out of the closet in a Q&A video posted to his channel today.

"I'm gay. It feels so weird to say it. My family and friends have known this for like three years I just haven't felt any need to announce it on the internet. I feel awkward!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:39 PM

2. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:40 PM

3. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:41 PM

4. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:46 PM

5. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:46 PM

6. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:47 PM

7. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:48 PM

8. ..."My family and friends have known this for like three years"... i'm sure they know he's gay a little bit longer, he can't hide it not even to save his life

Posted by: MArk | Aug 20, 2013 3:16:49 PM

9. Aw. He is adorable.

Posted by: KM | Aug 20, 2013 3:18:02 PM

10. What annoying people.

Posted by: TomTallis | Aug 20, 2013 3:19:36 PM

11. well met, brother! sure to inspire hope and courage in his young fans.

@Mark - funny you say "He can't hide it, not even to save his life"

Yes. like the young kids who can't, or won't, "hide it" who have the targets on their backs at a young age, are are hounded daily by bigots and bullies.

what it does, for those of us who manage to live through it, is inspire strength and courage and a real sense of resilience. you take your lumps early, and hard, and grow not only a thick skin, but a spine of steel.

perhaps you'd like to do what Lucas did and Out yourself on the worldwideweb with your own youtube video?

surely you're strong and manly enough, right?
    doubtful.

rock on lucas! you're opening the doors for so many, including many fully-grown adults who should have been opening the doors for you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2013 3:23:46 PM

12. I don't really know a lot about his guy, but good for him. I remember watching reruns on Nick at Nite or something and there were promos for some show with him as an alien, I think. I don't have the best gaydar but it was redlining when I saw this guy. I guess some teen girls are shocked by this, but they aren't always the brightest bulbs as a group. I point to the popularity of Twilight as evidence.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 20, 2013 3:24:07 PM

13. He rocks! Get over it Mark. Would it be better if he was a bit more straight acting? Sure. But everyone has their quirks and foibles and if he is a bit fey, we should just overlook it and support him anyway!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2013 3:32:40 PM

14. troll, i get it - you need to post as me because you can't show yourself. it's sad. but hey, i'm out and happy, and you're not. so there.

go invent more fake stories about non-whites to pretend to be upset about. or, do what i did as a teen, and grow a pair of actual balls and start being a positive force for a changing culture.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2013 3:36:58 PM

15. I can't believe I am saying this, but I actually agree with Little Kiwi. First time for everything I guess.

His femmy demeanor is over the top and it would be good if someone sat him down and gave him some guidance on how to act like a male member of the species.

But as Little Kiwi also correctly points out, everyone has their bad habits and as these things go, it isn't the worst thing in the world to be a flamer. So overall, I support him, but hopefully he will check himself and become less of an annoying caricature of a female and and more of a dignified male.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 20, 2013 3:38:34 PM

16. I can't believe I am saying this, but I actually agree with Little Kiwi. First time for everything I guess.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 20, 2013 3:39:45 PM

17. A lot of gay YouTubers knew that Lucas and Troye Sivan were gay, but it's good that they've both come out publicly to their followers.

Posted by: bollox | Aug 20, 2013 3:42:46 PM

18. Frank, I think it's adorable that you're changing screen names, including using mine (incorrectly, natch) to spout your own insecure self-hatred.

here's a fun game: show yourself :D hehehe. you won't. why? you're not man enough.

he's Out, to the world, and you're not. stop being upset that the "fem" types your piece of s**t family taught you to hate are stronger braver men than you.

go ahead. i call your bluff. let's see you.

*"mark/frank" runs away to find a new name to troll under*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2013 3:42:53 PM

19. Frank: Just shut up. People need to be free to act the way the are, if you don't like, bad luck.

Towleroad is a great site, but the number of trolls in the comments is really annoying.

Posted by: jjose712 | Aug 20, 2013 3:43:12 PM

20. Translation:

"Hi, I'm Lucas. I stopped doing my Fred character last year and my internet fame is quickly fading. So now it is safe and advantageous to come out. If my internet celebrity run is over, then coming out now doesn't hurt me. And there is a chance that it might extend my 15 minutes of fame and thus make me more money.

Of course, I could have come out when 50 million people were tuning in to my videos and that might have actually done some good. But whatever."

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 20, 2013 3:47:26 PM

21. MARK,

I'm not sure your post went through. Could you post that again, please?

Posted by: KZ | Aug 20, 2013 3:47:27 PM

22. @JJose it's not a lot of trolls, really. Mark is the same as frank who also posted as me with that "fey" comment.

why? we have a sick sad cowardly troll who isn't Out and exists each day to be miserable on towleroad, under various screen names, because his life isn't worth living.

and hey, you'll always get insecure closet cases being upset that guys like me, and guys like Lucas, are out and proud despite the fact that we may embody all the "isms" that Mark/Frank/uffda/rat/jason/adam/rick's bigoted family hated about gay people.

they simply hate that the type of gays they blame for their insecurities as gay men are out and proud, and they're not.
    text. book.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2013 3:48:05 PM

23. LittleKiwi, I am not sure what you are talking about. I support this kid in spite of his gender issues and I agree with what you said above. What is the problem?

Posted by: Frank | Aug 20, 2013 3:51:05 PM

24. He gets an article for stating the obvious? I mean anyone with half a brain could tell this dude is gay. I mean, honestly...

Posted by: James | Aug 20, 2013 3:53:53 PM

25. Aw, so cute! It does suck that he is so effeminate, though. :(

He's still a bit old for me, but good on him!

Posted by: LITTLE KIWI | Aug 20, 2013 3:54:12 PM