I'm Gay | Lucas Cruikshank | News

Nickelodeon Actor and YouTube Star Lucas Cruikshank: I'm Gay

Cruikshank

Lucas Cruikshank, Nickelodeon actor and star and creator of the popular YouTube series Fred, came out of the closet in a Q&A video posted to his channel today.

"I'm gay. It feels so weird to say it. My family and friends have known this for like three years I just haven't felt any need to announce it on the internet. I feel awkward!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm so shocked

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 20, 2013 7:32:02 PM

2. what a bunch of trolls. You're as bad as any homophobe when you say he's too effeminate, or should act straighter. He is who he is and I love the way he came out almost in passing, just answering a fan question. He is who he is and is fine however he wants to be, it's not our place to say how anyone "should" be. I loved it.

Posted by: tterry | Aug 20, 2013 8:53:53 PM

3. WTF is all the comments effeminate-phobia about? Seriously sh*t like that makes me ashamed to be gay!

Posted by: Alonzo | Aug 20, 2013 9:01:53 PM

4. CDubois:

You are right. "Troll" can be a verb and it would mean intentionally disrupting an online discussion in some way, such as posting something outrageous solely to get a reaction or knowingly posting false information or posting profanity.

Of course, it can also be used as an adjective to describe a person and at that point, it is important to remember that a person doesn't become a "troll" simply because he expresses an unpopular view or a view that evokes a strong reaction. The test in such a case is whether the poster is expressing a sincerely held view or whether he is posting just to disrupt and to create havoc.

There is a strong temptation to dismiss everyone with whom one disagrees as trolls, as LittleKiwi does. But that isn't fair. Towleroad clearly does have some trolling going on, but it is also true that a lot of the opinion expressed here appears to be sincerely held and on-topic. The latter is not trolling.

Sorry if LittleKiwi dislikes the idea that there is a diversity of views various issues but the solution for him is to engage and persuade, not to bully, not to taunt people about committing suicide, and not to label people as trolls. How about it, LittleKiwi? Fresh start?

Posted by: KidJ/NYU | Aug 20, 2013 9:27:34 PM

5. My gaydar pinged big time on this now young man since day one. Lucas is truly adorkable.

Posted by: Ian | Aug 20, 2013 10:40:54 PM

6. wow. @ KIDJ/NYU and CDubois now have my attention. well done, gents.

Posted by: shane | Aug 20, 2013 10:50:37 PM

7. I'm saddened to see the ugly comments on this young man's coming out. I have followed Towleroad's gay news for a long time, and I have enjoyed being informed by it. But the community that has built around it now is so largely negative that it does a disservice to this blog, and I am growing sick of it. If this is the kind of spirit Towleroad is about, then I'm done with it. We all have enough challenges, we don't need it coming from our own community. SMH.

Posted by: Lucas H | Aug 20, 2013 11:49:59 PM

8. @kidj Thanks for the clarification, and I can't agree with you more! As i said in my previous post it's not the message, it's how we deliver it. I don't have control over how littlekiwi or any other poster deliver their message and I eant to be clear that I in no way condone hateful delivery whether I agree with the overall point or not. I haven't seen the referenced suicide posts and it soundd pretty ugly, but I can only form my opinions on what I have seen.

Posted by: cdubois | Aug 20, 2013 11:57:41 PM

9. Little Kiwi. for once i read a comment from you that wasn't.... terrible.... and then I read the rest of the comments...

Rock On LUCAS!!!

Posted by: Will | Aug 21, 2013 12:25:41 AM

10. No, I am so shocked.

Posted by: Mighty | Aug 21, 2013 12:32:42 AM

11. lol i assumed that he was already "out" i mean it's hard to be in any sort of closet when you act like that, but good for him.

Posted by: Tim doro | Aug 21, 2013 1:47:37 AM

12. Well, Duh....

Posted by: MDNC | Aug 21, 2013 6:50:48 AM

13. SO ok, he's adorkably cute, he's now legal, and he's out. His youtube videos are cute but I think I'm ready for him to make an Xtube video now! ;)

Posted by: Ian | Aug 21, 2013 7:32:28 AM

14. As if the world did not already know he is gay. Hello!

Posted by: Robert Peterson | Aug 21, 2013 7:57:01 AM

15. Those early Fred videos were hysterical. He's obviously aging [not a bad thing] and kind of like a semi-child 'star' who has to remain relevant as an adult who is losing his cuteness factor.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 21, 2013 8:02:53 AM

16. I think we should all prove LittleKiwi wrong once and for all by posting videos of ourselves on the internet. You guys first. I can't do it because I'm not Out.

POSTED BY: RATBASTARD | AUG 20, 2013 3:58:09 PM

***********************

@Little Kiwi,

The hospital released you or you escaped?

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 21, 2013 8:04:55 AM

17. I don't get the animosity slung at this cute lad because he's not a serious. "straight-acting" member of the tribe. I've always thought that the point of "liberation" was to challenge and break the edges of socially imposed behavior, allowing everybody to shine with his/her own light. If coming out can lead only to a set of actions, attitudes, self-presentation that get some Good Gaykeeping Seal of Approval and don't embarrass those of us who are or want to be more traditionally masculine an thus more acceptable to the heteros--then we haven't graped the meaning of freedom.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Aug 21, 2013 11:09:36 AM

18. Good job LUCAS. Hope your future holds lots of success and much happiness!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 21, 2013 12:05:51 PM

19. You're all asking the rest of the world to be tolerant of gays , and here you all are just being a bunch of nasty old fags, and I can say it because I am gay. Leave the guy alone he is who he is, which is what you want the rest of the world to do to you. You're just a nasty group. The best to you Lucas, I wish I had the guts at that age.

Posted by: bructer | Aug 21, 2013 12:51:47 PM

20. Ah, the endless tension between what's "feminine" and what's "masculine"! It recently dawned on me that many who may be self-loathing gays, like "Frank" above, believe that being gay is ONLY all those "negative" stereotypes (femmy, weak, limp-wristed, lisping, cowardly, fashion-obsessed, sexual predators, etc...) and respond sensibly enough saying "That's not me!" How sad to buy such a load of crap and believe it true! How sad to be unable to look at oneself and say, "this is normal; this is me, and I also happen to be..." no matter the fantasies others would like one to adopt.

The real crime of heterosexism is in the belief that human sexuality can be represented as a simple polarity. The lock on the closet door is dogmatic faith in that polarity -- the terror that your unique sexuality pales and fails in contrast to that myth.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Aug 21, 2013 12:57:59 PM

21. Fellow queers,...pahleez: It would be newsworthy only if Lucas Cruikshank declared on worldwide YouTube that HE WAS NOT GAY! And, to prove as much, he had leaked a sex tape with a cisgendered, heterosexual woman that put in jeopardy his Nickelodeon contract because of some morals clause. Ho-hum... NEXT!

Posted by: Koskalaka Maricón | Aug 21, 2013 1:25:50 PM

22. I've loved him since I saw him twerk.

Posted by: Ryon | Aug 21, 2013 4:10:06 PM

23. good for him. nice to see young people coming out like this - thank god.

Posted by: steve | Aug 21, 2013 5:53:13 PM