Crime | New York | News

NYC Gay Couple Tells Story of Homophobic Assault by Knicks Fans: VIDEO

Nyc_assault

In a new NYT "Op-Doc", Nick Porto and Kevin Atkins, the gay couple assaulted in May 2013 outside Madison Square Garden during a Knicks game, tell the story of how they found themselves suddenly the targeted in broad daylight and how the attack has affected their lives.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "They were hitting me, punching me, doing all types of things, I tried to stand up and laugh it off" UGH, SWING A DANG PUNCH BROOO. My god. would it kill you to learn how to defend yourself.

Posted by: James | Aug 7, 2013 3:48:34 PM

2. Perhaps if these liberal effeminates didn't flaunt themselves in front of their understandably irritated peers perhaps this wouldn't happen.

Posted by: Kev C | Aug 7, 2013 3:50:42 PM

3. Shut up, Kev C. Victim blaming is useless.

Posted by: Mikey | Aug 7, 2013 3:57:04 PM

4. Great interview guys--- We, too, hold hands all over NYC- Public displays of affection ARE important. Keep it up!
    Kev C. clearly you have no education- maybe 2nd grade drop out? Good thing the majority of PhD's are dem's!

Posted by: Dr. C | Aug 7, 2013 4:01:45 PM

5. Perhaps if Kev C would stand up a little more and just run cowardly from shadow to shadow, he wouldn't need so much Chapstick to sooth his dragging knuckles.

Posted by: RJP | Aug 7, 2013 4:05:03 PM

6. Nicely done video. To the poster above me that says "don't flaunt". Really? You are of the same neanderthal state of mind that rationalizes rape with an outfit. Do the world a favor, grow up and become a human being and stop parroting the asinine nonsense.

Posted by: Caprice | Aug 7, 2013 4:07:52 PM

7. New York City is a very liberal and very homophobic city.

Liberalism and homophobia tend to go hand in hand. That's because liberalism's tolerance of us is based on segregation. The de-segregated male homosexual act or suggestion thereof (such as 2 guys holding hands in public) represents a threat to segregation that is so beloved of liberals.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 7, 2013 4:22:40 PM

8. Rick, stop posting as me. Everyone knows the only people who encourage segregation these days are anti-gay republicans like yourself. I noticed you're also posting under the name Kev C in addition to your usual name. Could you stick to your own names and leave me alone? Save it for Kiwi.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 7, 2013 4:33:13 PM

9. My partner and I (we're both 71 years old) live in the middle of Kansas. We hold hands and kiss each other goodbye or hello when we are in public. We don't "Make Out", but I don't even see many straight senior citizens making out in public. Sure we get called names, but it's not going to stop us. So Nick and Kevin, and everyone else, if you have someone you care about, show them with displays of affection, even when you are in public. Don't hide from the haters.

Posted by: PapaBear | Aug 7, 2013 5:18:39 PM

10. The perpetrators were blatino thugs. I'm shocked. Shocked! They always act with such good manners usually!

Posted by: sean | Aug 7, 2013 5:27:38 PM

11. "Victim blaming is useless"

If cowards are "victims", they are only victims of their own cowsrdliness.

Any gay man who refuses to defend himself when attacked deserves to get the living crap beat out of him.

The cowardliness that causes such behavior is learned......just as other aspects of effeminate behavior are learned.....and need to be unlearned.

Until they are, gay men will continue to be treated with disrespect and attacked physically.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 7, 2013 5:42:16 PM

12. That's the first time I've seen such good footage of the perps.

Sadly, it's pretty much what I expected.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 7, 2013 5:51:29 PM

13. So now someone is imitating me. It must be MateoM doing so. Get a life, MateoM, you pathetic slimeball.

Posted by: Kev C | Aug 7, 2013 5:52:56 PM

14. Whoops, sorry Kev C. I thought you were MateoM. I'll stop posting under your name. My bad. I just get so sick of the flamboyant effeminate gays who insist on flaunting themselves on this site, like MateoM.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 7, 2013 5:59:17 PM

15. Eff you Rick. You're the worst kind of troll. Go play in traffic like MateoM.

Posted by: Kev C | Aug 7, 2013 6:05:36 PM

16. Well, if you're expecting a free ride from liberals, think again. While it's true that liberalism has given us acceptance at the level of law, this hasn't translated to the level of society. Why so? Because women fear us.

Unless it is wrapped up and hidden away, the male homosexual concept is a threat to her. It threatens her ability to control male behavior.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 7, 2013 6:22:46 PM

17. NOM trolls abound today.

Posted by: sammy | Aug 7, 2013 6:37:04 PM

18. It's a shame they were beaten up, but seriously, what a couple of faggots those two are.

Posted by: Hunter | Aug 7, 2013 6:53:49 PM

19. Ha! I knew Brian was just Rick. Rick has posted that same exact rant against women on this site literally dozens of times, and is the only person who has ever harped on the "homophobia of liberal women" (something he made up because he hates liberalism, gays and women). Rick, you're so OBVIOUS.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 7, 2013 7:26:42 PM

20. What a couple of faggots. Being super gay and proud is disgusting. That's why I choose to remain single and closeted. Wouldn't want to be mistaken for a happy and self-confident fag. I'd much rather come off as a closeted creep.

Posted by: Hunter | Aug 7, 2013 7:28:18 PM

21. @ MateoM

He's posted the same hateful rants about women,gays,blacks,and liberals numberous times. He's the GOP**sy/Turd Cabin poster child on this blog. Along with 6 or 7 others here.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Aug 7, 2013 7:55:34 PM

22. numerous*

Posted by: Audi-owner | Aug 7, 2013 7:56:25 PM

23. It's a shame. SOMEONE knows who these perps are. It's such clear footage. But they come from a "Don't snitch!" area where people are encouraged to never tell anything to the police. So pathetic and sad.

Posted by: SamIam | Aug 7, 2013 8:00:30 PM

24. Dear Andy,

If this comment thread is an example of anything, it's that you must -- in very quick order -- reform the comment system to require log-ins.

This level of trolling ruins Towelroad -- and I can't imagine the pain these two guys from the story would feel if they were to come here and read the comments. I hope they know it's from bigoted trolls.

But for the sake of people like the two from this story, please... please... please... reform the comments. I'll even donate a little toward it, if that's what it took! (Seriously, if funding is an issue, kickstarter it or something.)

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 7, 2013 8:47:34 PM

25. Welcome to Russia, USA.

Posted by: GB | Aug 7, 2013 9:57:04 PM