Cory Booker | New Jersey | News | Steve Lonegan

Lonegan

Yesterday U.S. Senate candidate and Newark mayor Cory Booker told the WaPo that it's fine if people speculate that he's gay:

Booker“And people who think I’m gay, some part of me thinks it’s wonderful. Because I want to challenge people on their homophobia. I love seeing on Twitter when someone says I’m gay, and I say, ‘So what does it matter if I am? So be it. I hope you are not voting for me because you are making the presumption that I’m straight.’ ”

The remarks were seized on by Newsmax's Steve Malzberg, who asked his homophobic opponent Steve Lonegan what he thought about the "purposely ambiguous" remarks, Right Wing Watch reports.

Said Lonegan:

It's kind of weird. As a guy, I personally like being a guy. I don't know if you saw the stories last year. They've been out for quite a bit about how he likes to go out at three o'clock in the morning for a manicure and a pedicure....Maybe that helps to get him the gay vote by acting ambiguous...I don't like going out in the middle of the night, or any time of the day, for a manicure and pedicure. It was described as his peculiar fetish. I have a more peculiar fetish. I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That's my fetish but we'll just compare the two."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Steve Lonegan has gay face.

Posted by: Adamn | Aug 28, 2013 9:20:34 AM

2. Malzberg's hairpiece doesn't look very convincing.

Posted by: Valentin | Aug 28, 2013 9:22:43 AM

3. I like having a neck

Posted by: Steve | Aug 28, 2013 9:26:23 AM

4. I like having just the one chin.

Posted by: Roscoe | Aug 28, 2013 9:27:44 AM

5. He looks like every tired politician that you've ever seen. A face like a slapped pussy and a bad rug. Add stupid entitled remarks and Im pretty sure he doesn't stand a chance against Booker.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 28, 2013 9:28:41 AM

6. So Numbnuts thinks that gay guys don't like 'being a guy'?! WTF does he think, our entire gender changes when we admit to being gay? Ready for this election to be over so we don't have to hear from this doofus EVER again.

Posted by: Princely | Aug 28, 2013 9:31:28 AM

7. When that Scotch and cigar give you cancer, sorry that's your problem.

Posted by: Crixi Van Cheek | Aug 28, 2013 9:32:54 AM

8. Oh Mr. Lonegan, you're so butch!

In your dreams.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Aug 28, 2013 9:35:07 AM

9. What is this foolish vestige of Freudianism, that gay men don't like being men? I'd bet that gay men, could a proper survey be conducted, like being men way more than straight guys. Straight guys, I think, have little idea how much they're expected to hate manhood, and do so reflexively. This accounts, in fact, for much of their distrust/dislike of women.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Aug 28, 2013 9:35:53 AM

10. Rival Mocks Cory Booker's Pro-Gay Remarks; 'I Personally Like Being a Guy' — VIDEO

..meaning he likes being a Doey shaped pasty faced toupe' wearing white guy...who hasnt seen his own bird for years, unless he looks in a mirror.

Posted by: disgusted american | Aug 28, 2013 9:37:15 AM

11. Yes, hes awful and we can't wait for this election to be over, BUT it seems like its never really over anymore. As soon as its done we will be talking about next years group and that will be a whole new bag of a$sholes.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 28, 2013 9:38:14 AM

12. Oh, girl, put down the Scotch and cigar and look in the mirror! Brit with a bad wig and fondness for clotted cream staring right back at you.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 28, 2013 9:39:42 AM

13. "Vote for me because I prefer poisioning myself over basic grooming!"

Posted by: screamingqueen | Aug 28, 2013 9:39:42 AM

14. From his Twitter account (@Lonegan):

"Taxpayer's Champion - Free Market Advocate Republican Nominee U.S. Senate #NJSen #TCOT #NJGOP"

Posted by: Eric | Aug 28, 2013 9:48:56 AM

15. no no wait. In my best Stuwie voice.
    MY FETISH IS THAT I LIKE WISKEY AND CIGAR. I'M AN AL CO HOL LIC WITH BAD BREATHE!

Posted by: tilltheworldends | Aug 28, 2013 9:50:59 AM

16. Wait just a minute! *I* like scotch and a good cigar. And *I* don't go out in the middle of the night for a pedicure.

That must mean...(GASP)...Lonegan's a big ol' homo!

Posted by: JD | Aug 28, 2013 9:59:53 AM

17. I would f*ck Booker in .002 seconds or less. I wouldn't go anywhere near that fat-ass loser.

So, really, what's the real problem here?

As always, it's always the guy whom no guy wants that makes the most fuss about guys hooking up with other guys.

Go figure.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 28, 2013 10:09:08 AM

18. He's pathetic. I am not one of those gays trying to wish everybody out of the closet; however, Cory Booker has always set off my gaydar. Years ago I watched a fascinating documentary when he first ran for Mayor, and I was convinced. With whomever he sleeps, he's impressive.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Aug 28, 2013 10:09:09 AM

19. Cory Booker needs to come out of the closet.

Whether he is straight (LOL) or gay.

It does him no favours to be skirting around the issue of his sexuality in the manner that he is doing.

In an ideal world it should not matter what he is.

But this is not an ideal world, and people do not trust people who cannot answer a simple question honestly.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 28, 2013 10:12:48 AM

20. I spotted a minor typo in the headline...

"RIVAL MOCKS CORY BOOKER'S PRO-GAY REMARKS; 'I PERSONALLY LIKE >HAVING< A GUY' — VIDEO"

You're welcome.
    :-)

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Aug 28, 2013 10:18:54 AM

21. So one of Lonegan's "fetishes" is a cigar. I guess sometimes a cigar isn't JUST a cigar, huh?

Putting their respective (claimed) sexual orientations aside, Lonegan would do much better NOT to go head to head with Booker in a competition of masculinity.

Seriously, what the hell was he thinking? Is some of the arsenic in his old-school rug leaking into his brain?

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 28, 2013 10:27:59 AM

22. Interesting to note: Lonegan is legally blind. Apparently, legally stupid, too.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Aug 28, 2013 10:41:36 AM

23. lol, rolling on floor laughing at this homophobe's definition at what makes a man a man............

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 28, 2013 10:46:05 AM

24. Uhm... does this asshat realize that there's a HUGE gay fetish thing that centers around cigars? Whole entire groups of guys that enjoy cigar sex?

Such an idiot...

Posted by: johnny | Aug 28, 2013 10:47:08 AM

25. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by: wally tickman | Aug 28, 2013 10:54:10 AM