Music | Music Video | News | Solomon

Gay Singer-Songwriter Solomon Deals with the Aftermath of a Relationship in 'The Way We Were': VIDEO

Solomon

Gay singer-songwriter Solomon has released the video for his new single "The Way We Were" which takes a reverse journey exploring the pain of leaving a relationship. It was inspired by the Tom Ford film A Single Man and directed by Mikhail Torich.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Solomon has an EP titled Le Garcon set for a November release.

2_solomon

Comments

1. My opinion: uninspired video, whiny voice, generic song.
    (sorry)

Posted by: will | Aug 26, 2013 12:54:32 PM

2. I appreciate anyone living their art....Just that this video is bad. Who styled the singer, room, etc... It all looks so cheap. The singer seems really self-focused, making me understand why he is singing about losing a relationship.

Tend to think of towleroad as a filter. This time it wasn't on. I lost 3 minutes I'll never get back.

Posted by: JAMES B. | Aug 26, 2013 1:08:15 PM

3. Irritating voice, whiny.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 1:19:53 PM

4. "A Single Man" is a Christopher Isherwood story.

Posted by: David | Aug 26, 2013 1:31:31 PM

5. I dunno, I think its pretty good. YOU try making a music video and building a singing career. Ain't easy by any means. Takes money and talent. a decent voice (of which I think he has) and musical ability. To be so harsh on the guy. Let me drop by your place of work and critique your job performance.

BTW, I thought Katy Perry's "Roar" last night on the VMAs was no where near the level of professional. Yes yes, the set, the hunks dancing with her and the lighting were all well and done - for the money she had to spend to get that off the ground it had better be, but overall the song is benign, banal and little more than an old disco sound. For what she is pulling down in the way of monies she is cheating her audience.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 26, 2013 1:31:46 PM

6. "Sung" by autotune?

Posted by: Valentin | Aug 26, 2013 1:33:13 PM

7. Wow... heavily autotuned...

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 26, 2013 1:43:42 PM

8. why is "gay" music so consistently awful? The only ones who seems to have any actual talent are John Grant and Cazwell.

Posted by: tbd | Aug 26, 2013 1:50:32 PM

9. TBD don't forget about The Irrepressibles, Bright Light Bight Light, Autoheart and the many others.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 26, 2013 2:03:21 PM

10. I actually rather like the song--it has a sweet vulnerability, a wistful melody, and the autotune wasn't overdone. I also thought anyone who tried to appropriate the phrase "the way we were" from Streisand is asking for trouble, but I liked the subtle little homage to the movie he threw in mid-song ("Your guy is lovely"). However, the video is definitely a well-shot hunk of nothing.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 26, 2013 2:23:14 PM

11. my fave by this guy so far (clearly i'm in the monority here) autotune works for me in this context, he's uber watchable, so i'm loving the video--I'LL help him forget that other guy in no time at all, guaranteed

Posted by: heyAY | Aug 26, 2013 2:42:53 PM

12. I'm not a fan of heavy Autotune, nor of "melodies" that repeat the same line over and over. Am I supposed to overlook quality issues because he's gay and cute?

Posted by: DrunkEnough | Aug 26, 2013 3:07:05 PM

13. It would have been better if he had simply remade THE WAY WE WERE

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 3:11:36 PM

14. Face is expressionless. Some nice props from CB2. Hate that he jacked "The Way We Were" title. The real song was a masterpiece.

Posted by: BE | Aug 26, 2013 3:26:27 PM

15. Yeah, big disappointment.
    Doesn't he violate some copyright by naming his song after the original "The way we were"?

Posted by: The Sarcastic Misanthrope | Aug 26, 2013 3:38:54 PM

16. I mean, he's making a song about his life. Why do the comment sections of these articles become a forum for bashing everyone and everything?

Posted by: reality | Aug 26, 2013 5:11:17 PM

17. Haters gon' hate.

Posted by: Oh | Aug 26, 2013 6:15:10 PM

18. Cazwell? Either you are being very facetious or you have no credibility here, because Cazwell is one of the most awful excuses for music that has ever happened to the gay community. I would sooner drive rusty railroad spikes in my ears.

Posted by: Kenneth | Aug 26, 2013 6:45:02 PM

19. I didn't care for the music either; but I did like the video. Some powerful images. A nod to Charlie Chaplin with the carrots. I loved the shoes. But musically, I prefer Streisand's "The Way We Were."

Posted by: Alan | Aug 26, 2013 6:46:26 PM

20. What a great video (and song).

Thank you so much for listing this, as I hadn't heard of Solomon before....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Aug 26, 2013 7:10:18 PM

21. It's a'ight. But I do agree with the heavy use of autotune. In fact, I'm not even sure it is autotune. I just feel the song is over-saturated with certain synths. I understand they're trying to give the song some depth and shape. But I've always believed less is more. I'd like to hear an acoustic version of this tune, if possible. Perhaps the stark nakedness could give some better insight. Not bad but not great.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Aug 26, 2013 10:46:33 PM

22. My stuff is better
    Nwdsongs.com

Posted by: Nick | Aug 27, 2013 8:27:01 AM

23. soloman,
    Is great. He's different. I love this song.
    He stands out from all the rest straight or gay. He's cute. He's very current. He nice.
    Haters leave him along. My BF looks just like him. Somewhat. I love SOLOMAN

Posted by: darryl | Aug 28, 2013 11:04:04 AM

24. SOLOMAN
    You are great. Genius. Song is very good.
    I love the video. Words to the song are very deep and I understand. I get you. I have listened to you from your start. Stay the way you are. A major label should sign you and put you up there sith Lambert. You deserved it. My dude. Stay strong. Your a Earth Angel with a heavenly voice here on Earth. Bless your parents.

Posted by: darryl | Aug 28, 2013 11:06:40 AM

25. Loved the song and the video. Simple but with a lingering message. I've been listening to his new EP "Le Garcon" and it
    is also very good. Titles of songs like titles of books are frequently recycled.
    Who are these self-styled critics anyway?

Posted by: Martin | Jul 24, 2014 1:20:31 AM