Downton Abbey | News | Tom Cullen

The New Men of 'Downton Abbey': Gary Carr, Tom Cullen, and Julian Ovenden — PHOTOS

Carr

New images have been released of three men set to make their debut in the upcoming series 4 of Downton Abbey, the UK's Mirror reports.

Gary Carr is set to play the show's first recurring black character, an American jazz singer named Jack Ross.

You may remember Tom Cullen from the Andrew Haigh gay drama Weekend. He's set to play Lord Anthony Ginningham, a family friend of the Crawleys:

Cullen

And Julian Ovenden plays aristocrat Charles Blake:

Ovenden

Comments

1. Maybe I'm over-thinking/over-analyzing, but back in the day, gay men wore a ring on their left pinkie finger as a sort of sign to other gay men. This was before bandannas and such. So, my money for a love interest for Thomas is on Tom Cullen's character. Then again, maybe I'm just projecting.

Posted by: Jimbo | Aug 11, 2013 10:56:31 AM

2. Sorry, Jimbo, as much as I would like to see Tom Cullen and Rob James-Collier get together, I don't think that will be the case. During the time of the show, it was custom for the British nobility to wear wedding rings and signet rings on the left pinky.

Posted by: OddBet | Aug 11, 2013 11:18:51 AM

3. These series might be more inetersting in season four than two and three.

Posted by: Matt27 | Aug 11, 2013 12:47:23 PM

4. Tom Cullen could get the D.

Posted by: Munro | Aug 11, 2013 12:54:03 PM

5. Gary Carr too.

Posted by: Munro | Aug 11, 2013 12:57:36 PM

6. They are hellbent on ruining this show. Matthew getting killed was so predictable. I think I'll just order Brideshead on dvd.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 11, 2013 1:12:52 PM

7. I don't know, these knew men are lovely, I will continue to watch the show.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Aug 11, 2013 1:48:23 PM

8. See the movie Weekend. He's brilliant in it.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Aug 11, 2013 2:03:53 PM

9. "Matthew getting killed was so predictable."

You must be prescient, because even the writers of the show couldn't have predicted it. They had no intention of killing Matthew until the actor shocked them by telling them he was leaving the show.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 11, 2013 2:15:32 PM

10. Could it be that Gary Carr is playing a character based on "Hutch"?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 11, 2013 3:58:36 PM

11. POSTED BY: CRISPY | AUG 11, 2013 2:15:32 PM

^^^ Exactly.

I finished watching the whole 3 series + the Christmas special + Journey to the Highlands last night and while I do have some complaints about the show (Lord Crawley's dalliance with the maid, for starters), overall I love it and can't wait for it to start in September (I get the BitTorrent so I don't have to wait until January).

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 11, 2013 5:09:42 PM

12. So, based on evidence of these and other publicity photos, it seems that the fashion in 1920's England was that no gentleman would be seen in public without a well-turned out suit and a look of ineffable archness on their face. I suppose you learned all that in your public school days -- part of the fagging by the Sixth Form boys: "Hey there, Jameson, did I see you on the cricket field today with a look of enthusiasm on your face!! You know better than that! Come to my digs after dinner tonight for your punishment!"

Posted by: Buster | Aug 11, 2013 6:00:06 PM

13. I dont think I can watch show anymore. Matthew dying was just waaaaaaay to harsh and soap opera/greek tragedy/Alanis Morisett's "Ironic" all wrapped into one. Kinda wanted the show to just end with them all in a good place. Now they are going to force another love interest on Mary :/

Posted by: Toto | Aug 11, 2013 6:47:13 PM

14. imho - About the only thing interesting going on for Thomas this coming season is that Rob James-Collier will be wearing a $6000 wig during its entirety .. lol!

Spoilers within:

Posted by: Rexford | Aug 11, 2013 7:15:29 PM

15. Each season has gotten worse and Matthew's implausible death is when it jumped the shark. Matthew is the type of chap who would have driven a motorcar like an old grannie.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 11, 2013 10:40:46 PM

16. WTF happened to Julian Ovenden? It's been only 5 years since his stint on Foyle's War ended, but he looks 20 years older. What did those awful people on Smash do to him?

Posted by: Ruddigore | Aug 12, 2013 2:07:22 AM

17. I can't bear the sight of Downton without my beloved Matthew. The shade of it all!

Posted by: Drake | Aug 12, 2013 5:06:45 PM