Basketball | News | San Antonio | WNBA

BigGayDeal.com

WNBA Player Sophia Young Speaks Out Against Gay Marriage, San Antonio LGBT Protections

Young

Sophia Young, a star player with the WNBA's Silver Stars of San Antonio, was one of the hundreds who prayed against an LGBT anti-discrimination bill at San Antonio City Hall yesterday.

She posted a photo of herself on Twitter yesterday holding up a placard reading "Vote No". Given what she tweeted, however, she seemed to think that the anti-discrimination bill, to be voted on by the San Antonio City Council in early September, would also somehow legalize same-sex marriage.

Tweeted Young: "My vote is still No... San Antonio should not allows Same sex marriages."

It was her second tweet in a day about the issue. The first read, "Should San Antonio be a city that allows same sex marriage?? I vote NO."

Comments

1. Given the amount of teammates and peers of hers that are gay that she interacts with regularly, it's clear this one is willfully ignorant. What an idiot.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 29, 2013 12:30:41 PM

2. Ah, the hubris and ignorance of youth. She's not terribly bright and for a woman on the WNBA, not very considerate of her teammates either. Maybe she'll grow up some day, this is the most notoriety she'll ever gave. Poor thing.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Aug 29, 2013 12:34:39 PM

3. She seems like a really, really nice bigot.

Posted by: jht | Aug 29, 2013 12:37:02 PM

4. Well this is how equality works. If that was a white person I would call her a bigot and her being black doesn't change a thing. She is a BIGOT. And no, I don't care how she was raised. There is no excuse for prejudice.
    And to you commenters that think you can shame me on calling a bigot a bigot are only showing their on prejustice.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 29, 2013 12:40:09 PM

5. It's funny to me that every article about an anti-gay person of color comes back to race and slavery in the comment section. Yet when the article is about Russia or Pat Robertson or any other ignorant old white republican you never get the comment "typical ignorant white guy" or "here goes white people subjugating a minority group again." The white privilege and oblivious nature of the gay community is mind boggling! !

Posted by: cdubois | Aug 29, 2013 12:42:35 PM

6. I agree with CDA that most white gays are closeted racists and these comments are horrible especially about black people.

The issue I believe is really mostly about religion. If evangelical religion wasn't around then there would be less to argue about regarding the sinfullness of gays!

Posted by: Scott in Philly | Aug 29, 2013 12:46:06 PM

7. CAN PRO-SLAVERY MOVEMENTS BE NEXT????

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 29, 2013 12:52:13 PM

8. To CDA: Our hateful words are expressions of non-violent disapproval of her bigotry. Similar to how blacks referred to "whitey's" and "crackers", while waving the banner of non-violent protest. Not much difference, but I'm sure you and others will split the hairs of my statement to find some. Bottom line: we are PISSED at the African American community (as a whole) for trying to usurp the term "discrimination" and "civil rights" from anyone who doesn't conform to their belief that you must be of a certain hue to have earned them (or been put through slavery, which no contemporary black person can say they have been put through).

Posted by: Darren in atl | Aug 29, 2013 12:55:25 PM

9. Under that smile she's thinking, "Damn, most of the smart, black men are gay."

Posted by: Carlos | Aug 29, 2013 1:05:03 PM

10. Darren Why are black people held to a higher standard than anyone else when it comes to discrimination? Guess what? If every black person in America was on board with gay rights and gay marriage we STILL wouldn't have full equality because they aren't the ones making the policies and laws that keep us as second class citizens. Treating blacks as a monolith incapable of independent thought is just as offensive as anything anti gay people of color say about gays.

Posted by: cdubois | Aug 29, 2013 1:05:39 PM

11. My God, a lot of you want tolerance and acceptance, but don't won't to return it. - Cajiva

she's not being tolerant either, is she...No!
    it's not my fault she's stupid & ignorant, she's bringing it upon herself. I do unto others has they would do unto me, give them a taste of their own poisons 'cause sometimes it takes great humility to realize how stupid & ignorant one can be.

Posted by: jaja | Aug 29, 2013 1:17:35 PM

12. @SCOTT IN PHILLY -- I just want to clarify that I was not trying to say that the majority of white gays are closeted racists.

@TIGERAMA -- when I started writing my three "huge" paragraphs, no one had said anything different. I'm unsure why you think it's more conducive to learning or discussing anything when the same trite, sometimes racist comments are just being regurgitated over and over and over again. But it's telling that my comment earned your condemnation while others (more manageable in size and perhaps more palatable in tone?) escaped criticism.

@DARREN IN ATL -- I appreciate your candor, and thanks for engaging in a civil way. I just don't understand why you would approve of anyone using "hateful" words. I am pissed, too, but that doesn't give me the right to be racist, nor does being racist alleviate my burden. It denigrates us, and it makes us less sympathetic, and it attenuates our claim to equality. We can't just ascribe some of the qualities of some black people to all black people, and I think it's just common sense that we won't ever get closer to any claim on the civil rights narrative that is largely associated with African Americans if we continue to alienate and slander them.

And while it's a tangent, I think it's worth mentioning that we do have a claim to civil rights, and we are discriminated against. And any person who claims otherwise - whether they're black, or white, or Jewish or female or gay or whatever - is wrong. They are just mistaken, and I have never let anyone tell me otherwise. I can kind of imagine where it comes from, though: imagine how compelling the impulse is to jealously guard what you've fought for, and what has not seen anything close to full fruition, when a new group comes along, with different experiences, and more glitz, and a tidal wave of support, while you sit there and continue to struggle and see your dream unfulfilled (look no further than the Shelby Co. SCOTUS decision, or the persistent racial wealth and incarceration gaps for proof of this). That's not to say that it's right, but it's understandable.

And when queers say "Our struggle is the same as yours." we are not only feeding that fire, and in that situation WE are in the wrong. Because our struggles are not the same, and if there is any ranking in terms of which group had (or has) it worse, it simply. does. not. matter. The dialogue needs to be changed. We need to put the oppression olympics behind us, tempting as they may be, and acknowledge that both groups (and especially queers of color) have been oppressed, are still being oppressed, and will continue to be oppressed, and often at the hands of the same people, and that this oppression often has deep, deep roots in the same causes. Recrimination of each other does nothing to build our strength; it only divides us more and more.

Posted by: CDA | Aug 29, 2013 1:27:14 PM

13. People who expect POC to randomly be more enlightened than white people about gay issues are really dense and serioisly need to reevaluate their thinking. Gay people are conditioned from birth to be racist trash just as their straight counterparts are, and straight POC are just as suspectible to the cultural and religious brainwashing that leads to homophobia in white people.

Like, are you thinly veiled racists seriously delusional enough to think that white gay people were less racist than their straight counterparts during the bulk of the black civil rights movement? lmao

Posted by: JMC | Aug 29, 2013 1:35:43 PM

14. She's in the WNBA, and she's against gay marriage? Seriously...so dumb. That's like a baker protesting against flour.

Stupid girl might as well kiss her career goodbye.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 29, 2013 1:40:53 PM

15. By the comments here you would think some of you would be happier about the way the Gay community has brought the Black’s and the KKK together in their hate fest for the inequality of gays.
    Yes, I’ve noticed that whenever someone in the gay community comments on someone who is black and prejudice that the comments on the board try to turn it around by calling the gays white racist. That’s not going to work on me because I’m not judging the black community; I’m judging this woman’s prejudice.
    What I really see is a lot of the blacks on Towleroad condoning bigotry as long as they are dishing out the hate.

Posted by: ELI | Aug 29, 2013 1:40:56 PM

16. The gay women of basketball ought to boycott playing when Young is playing.

Posted by: lk | Aug 29, 2013 1:47:41 PM

17. @Eli

You have it completely backwards. I guarantee you that if someone attacks this woman for being a bigot, homophobe etc they will never be tarred as racist. So if you're judging the bigot but not the race, as you say, nobody will call you out. The problem is that most of the time if the bigot subject of the post is black, the racists (and they are mostly proud racists) quickly let loose with all sorts of nasty anti-black comments. That's what those of us who call people racist are objecting to. Hate the bigots regardless of color or sex all you want, but don't hate an entire race or sex because of one dumb homophobe.

Posted by: Brian1 | Aug 29, 2013 1:53:10 PM

18. Apparently she has been hit by a ball in the head too often.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 29, 2013 3:02:45 PM

19. 1) Apparently some comments are getting deleted from here. I guess this is a censored site.

2) Let's stop getting off topic here. People are deflecting and excusing this woman's awful behavior by saying everyone on here is a racist.

I'm sorry, but there is a VERY salient point to be made - that yes - not long ago - she perhaps couldn't have married the person she loved simply because she was black. And she has the nerve and naivete to tell me I can't marry who I want? F U, Sophia. STFU and be grateful you can make a living playing a game.

Posted by: NYCer | Aug 29, 2013 3:28:21 PM

20. She doesn't even frickin' know what the vote is for. This is a typical, uninformed bigot. Her church just told to show up and hold up a sign to stop teh gays. The vote is for an antidiscrimination ordinance.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 29, 2013 5:32:22 PM

21. Another so-called Christian who picks-and-chooses which Bible verses to uphold and which to ignore.

If she were the "good Christian" she purports to be, she'd be upholding slavery, too.

Posted by: MIleHighJoe | Aug 29, 2013 6:05:21 PM

22. Here in TN, they’ve gone as far as to declare this Saturday “Traditional Marriage Day” in which the bill passing this new state holiday quotes The Holy Bible. Why does the State feel it has the right to continually define marriage? Exactly what is “Traditional” Marriage in Tennessee seeing as even Interracial Marriage is STILL outlawed by the State Constitution along with Same Sex Marriage? http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-wrong-side-of-hypocrisy-traditional.html

Posted by: Brandt | Aug 29, 2013 7:02:59 PM

23. Ignorant religious bigot. She'll be ashamed someday.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 29, 2013 10:51:47 PM

24. Black people are heavily homophobic. Studies consistently show this and they are allowed to call various demographics racist, but we better not highlight the constant pattern of homophobia within the black community. I say we have a national dialogue about it. And I'm biracial!

Posted by: Gino | Aug 30, 2013 7:41:42 AM

25. I hope every limb on her body breaks during a practice soon. Evil filth like her always get whats coming to them.

Posted by: J.R | Aug 30, 2013 7:42:13 AM